NTSB Study on Straight Trucks

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
No doubt theyve been inspecting me so much I feel like Im a Govt Spy.. Conspicuity treatments are that Red and Chrome tape and reflectors placed around your truck.....Im sure that includeds rentals and U-Haul, of which they shouldnt let half these folks drive the bigger trucks pulling a car...Ive been doing some Hiker work for Ryder delivering trucks etc and some of the Businesses that rent these trucks let 19 year old kids and such drive these trucks loaded to the gills with fragile freight etc....But let the inspections continue, soon ill have a dirty dozen, my CSA score has to be like El Fabuloso, LOL

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A couple years ago, my fleet owner told me that two of his S/Ts had been given violations for not having the conspicuity tape: one for the outside top corners of back doors, the other for the bar from which the mudflaps hang. I believe both are required for T/Ts, [the mudflap one to make them more visible when bobtailing, which we can't even do, lol] but the wording is vague enough that the inspector decided it applies to S/Ts also. Thinking it's easier to slap on the tape than argue, I put the DOT approved kind on the back doors. I would have put it on the mudflap hanger, except there's a flap on each side, and I can't make the tape stick to them. If I get cited, I'll just have to argue, I guess. :rolleyes:

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive never had the tape on my mudflap brackets but I do have several red reflectors on my brackets, hey reflectors are cheap and so is the tape, I bought a roll and I repainted my DOT and applied it and some reflectors, makes the truck hard to miss from the rear, I also put a strip of this on the inside of my front doors, when you open the doors it makes it easier to see for anyone moving around you, a small strip on my Bottom step at the doors also....its cheap insurance to keep some nitwit from backing into you etc at a dock.