Note to newbies about guns in truck !

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Greg, yes, the last one is important, and all of them must to taken together as a whole for them to mean much, yet still, the last one or not, "...shall not be infringed," is pretty straightforward under any circumstances. True enough, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights it contains are federal, and reserves for the people any rights not specifically mentioned in the Constitution, and reserves all powers not specifically granted to the federal government to the people or the States. Yet the Second Amendment explicitly mentions, and grants to the people, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Now you have the Fourteenth Amendment and the Incorporation Doctrine which specifically applies all but two parts of the entire Bill of Rights to the States as well as the federal government, with the only exceptions being the Fifth Amendment right to an indictment by a grand jury, and the Seventh Amendment right to a jury trial in civil lawsuits.

Every state law that deals with gun control, licensing and registration is an infringement on the people's right to keep and bear arms. Licensing a right is absurd on the face of it. It's absurd for a State, or The state, to license the right to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, just as it's absurd to license free speech, freedom of religion, the right not to incriminate yourself, or to license the right not to be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process. And it's absurd to license the right to keep and bear arms.

Shall not be infringed.

Plus, on an even more basic level, since the government is of the people, by the people and or the people, then the government should not have access to any arms to use against me that I don't have the same access to with which to defend myself. And before anybody asks, yes, that also includes _______ (fill in the blank).