not sure if this is right spot for question

nighttrain

Seasoned Expediter
would anyone know if there are software or even a website for truckers for directions
sort of like a truckers mapquest

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The only thing available and realistically attainable is copilot truck. It's about $399 I think. It does hazmat routing, 53' routes etc. and is aware of clearance issues about 99% of the time. It has twice routed me to a low clearance that was impassable. It also frequently doesn't recognize the address you need to go to and has to take you to an address down the road from the one you want. It's definitely better than nothing and definitely not as good as it could be.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
We use Delorme Street Atlas. It is not designed only for truckers, but with very little work you can customize it. It can be bought at Walmart, etc. and just for the disk and gps u nit it cost about $89. then you need a computer and we use Dell 700 which is about the size of a clipboard.

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
It is called a road atlas, you can buy them at any truckstop for $3.95, they have a map of every state plus a lot of other useful info. or you could take your Mommy along.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Silverdollar, the question asked was about trucker information. If your mommy had ever shown you a $3.95 atlas, you would know that it has very little, if any, trucker info.

gojack

Expert Expediter
Get Delorme Street Atlas
far superior to copilot
I have both, I find copilot usless.

get a truckers atlas, at any truck stop
usually $ 20

Go through the low clearance list for each state
you run in and in "edit roads " in Delorme
change each low clearance to "no way"
Delorme will not use those roads once you save your file.

The atlas has directions for each low clearance point
and when you look at it in Delorme
you will most likly spot it as a RR crossing
or a hairpin turn or the like.

When you are doing your routing
plug the address into delorme, then glance at your atlas
which has all designated truck routes highlighted...
tweek you route if needed to use designated truck routes.

When you get into an area that has lots of clearance issues
like Chicago, stick to truck routes untill you are close, than
ask for directions on the CB.

I mark all "no trucks allowed" on my Delorme as I go.

I also note truckstops, free wi-fi points, weight stations, walmarts
and anything else of intrest. Helps jog my memory if I have not been that way in a while.

Delorme allows you to add new roads
as you find them. I put my driveway in as "ZZZ" so to route home I just type zzz and I'm home.

Dave

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
i bought Street and trips 07 from walmart and it takes me from door to door with routing dirrections and a visual map

god bless and keep rolling

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
A good free web based site is milemaker.com

It is put out by Rand MacNally and it says commercial vehicle ready. I use it all the time and it has been fantastic. Door to door.

Another one is truckmiles.com on this one you can put a lot more info in like your fuel mileage and load info and it will calculate your costs and profit after doing a load.

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
>Silverdollar, the question asked was about trucker
>information. If your mommy had ever shown you a $3.95 atlas,
>you would know that it has very little, if any, trucker
>info.

If you knew anything about trucking you would know that a truck atlas has ten times the information of any single software program.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The trucker atlas costs more than $3.95. The atlas you referred to has basic maps, no truck info. Even the year old truck atlas on sale is more than $3.95.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Bambam has it right. The best dollars ever spent: much better than Rand McNally software. However, I forgot the name of the company, but there is a site that will sell you a trucker's version that will mate right into Trips & Streets. It will automatically route according to truck routes, show truck stops on the way, restricted roads, etc. I think you can find it from the Drivers Daily Log website.
I think it would be great for a rookie, but I should know enough by now to avoid the $100 cost. When I run a route from NC to MA., I know I will have to tweak it to avoid 295 in DC, the Garden State parkway, etc. Once one selects the routing and zooms in, you can drag & pull into a proper truck route, which always adds some miles. If my paid run is PC Miler, my route will be very close to correct miles...

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I use streets and trips,then compare with c-link (qualcom)Fed Ex CC routing,usually same routing,but c-link doesnt put you under low bridges
For large trucks,streets trips will get you in bad situations,low bridges, my Garmin has same problem.
I get lots of use from my truckers $10.00 Rand MacNally

nighttrain

Seasoned Expediter
ok first off to silverdollar not sure why the negative comment was for just asked a simple question if ya wanna be a jerk then go somewhere else

at the time was trying to figure out if the directions my dispatcher gave off of mapquest was able to go that way or not

i drive locally so i dont need a rand map was just wondering if there was a website that worked like mapquest but truckers can use it

but oh well if ya wanna make rude remarks thats fine its on a message board
no big deal

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
nightcreacher said " but c-link doesnt put you under low bridges"

Yes it does :-(
When we were with FedEx, we had a run that took us to an 11'9'' bridge..luckily with a straight truck it wasn't such an issue with getting around it..if we'd have been dragging a 53ft trailer, that wouldn't have been the case.
Since that time, we don't trust any directions off the Qualcomm without checking them out in the atlas.

We use Streets & Trips, but may check out the Delorme version after hearing the glowing reports :)

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Discovery Owners has a page of downloads on their website. These are database templates for truckers and RV owners. There are some available templates for MS Streets and Trips that provide info on low clearance and truck routes. Looks as if they also have some templates for truck stop locations and such. I would definitely check it out.
http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

Drive Safe!

Jeff