Not regening while driving 2019 Hino 268

Scooter 7190

Seasoned Expediter
Truck will do a manual regen with DX program, but today I set soot to 2.3, 3 bars on instrument cluster. Drove it to see if it would do a successful regen driving, with DX Program hooked up. Temps at DPR got up to 950 IN and around 900 OUT. Said on cluster that regen was in progress, it ended, but didn’t say completed or anything, and there was still 3 bars on cluster. No codes went active either. Checked DPR Max temps in DX , they were like 1220 and 1150. Any suggestions?? Customer complaint was wants to regen to much

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Codes? You can change parameters to make the unit auto regen at any time, or manual regen at any time. I set these up for my rollback customers and any refuse customers. You can also enable the auto regen completion flag so it will let you know when it has completed an auto regen. You stated it DID complete an auto regen but the 3 bars remained and no codes set? If you perform a manual regen does the pm level drop to near zero and the bars clear out from the cluster?

Scooter 7190

Seasoned Expediter
yes during manual regen soot level drops and no bars on cluster. While driving and soot level set by me to 2.3 , It showed on cluster that a regen was in progress every time you came to a stop, and temps went to low 900 range, but after about 20 minutes of driving i stopped to see if it would complete, the regen in progress went away, but bars stayed and soot level stayed at 2.3

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Has it had previous repair history for regen problems? Any injector/DPF replacement in its past?

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
There is a parameter you can set to turn on a constant notification when the truck is performing an auto regen. When it is in progress it is shown in the meter in orange. When it completes it beeps 3x and flashes a green message the regeneration is complete. You said you drove it 20 miles but that may not be enough. General rule of thumb is 1000 degrees for 1000 seconds to complete a regen. Can you take it on a longer auto regen road test? If you drive it long enough will it reach 4 bars? During an auto regen the exhaust brake is not used, make sure the exhaust brake is off or it could kick it out of auto regen. Or skewed MAF/IAT sensor can cause some weird, no code regen issues. Take it on a hour highway road test and look at the egr and mass flow for anything abnormal. If it won’t complete regen by then something is definitely funky. I’ll post some parameter numbers in the morning. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: greasytshirt

Scooter 7190

Seasoned Expediter
thank you guys!! I went for 20 minute drive, the other day, it was showing the in progress in orange at every stop sign or light, then i pulled over to let it finish, because it seemed to me that it was taking longer than before ,when i did this on other trucks. The in progress message went away and the green message complete, NEVER showed.
IMG_1717.jpgIMG_1715.jpg
I did another manual regen today and watched the different DPR mode numbers, went from 1 up to 21 and stayed at 21 and temps were at like 920, stayed around this temp for 10 minutes or so, like it couldn't go higher, then it dropped to mode 13 and temps went up to like 1060 and then went to mode 37 for a couple of minutes and completed in the green. Pics above

My question, is mode 13 when pre injection (from the engine injectors) kick in to help build temp, because the 7th injector isn't building the temp due to clogging or not enough injection??

Oddly enough we have another truck that came in with P24a2 excessive dosing code, and another guy was telling me that about the different modes that it would get help from engine injectors and cause code, seperate truck though

HINO 123 you had mentioned the MAF sensor, I had replaced that because it had come in with the code P0101 air flow code, and forgive me an egr feedback code, (can't remember code) but i had erased these and then i took it for the road test, with the soot set at 2.3, because the complaint was needing to regen to often

Scooter 7190

Seasoned Expediter
another question i forgot to ask, that is in line with the different modes. Does the 7th injector dosing fuel will driving?? Because it went through the different modes when driving and it seemed like it got stuck on 21 ( same as manual regen) and then dropped to a lower number

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Pm
Me your email and I will share with you a file on the modes stats. Mode 21 is normal when the Dpr is up to temp & yes the 7th inj doses fuel while driving.