Big Truck Not everyone should be allowed to wield tools.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
That is a cool video. So, with a driveshaft you have to make sure that 2 things are correct. The transmission shaft and the rear end shaft must be parallel, and the u-joints must be in phase. Learned something new. Thanks.
The two shafts don't HAVE to be parallel. That does make it easier. It's also ok if the shafts are completely opposing but otherwise equal. Like this:

drive-shaft-alignment_html_m7eab0eb4.jpg

You're more likely to see this on a Jeep with a lift kit.

The truck had been towed before, and when the shaft was reinstalled it was done incorrectly. That's why is was out of phase.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyingVan

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
If anything comes in to my work with an Allison issue they say "send it to Allison". Allison then usually rapes the customer, fixes either nothing and kicks it back to us or... just replaces the transmission. In my experience 90% of Allison failures are fixable without removing any major components from the transmission. Mostly sensors, wiring issues, drivers pulling the fuses out or lack of fluid/filter changes.
Now everyone in the shop kicks their Allison issues to me. Even started calling me "Allison". Guess it could be worse.... at least they dont call me "Acert"