North Dakota Job Boom

smcleod

Active Expediter
NBC news reports the town of Williston North Dakota has jobs and not enough people to fill the jobs. The town is booming thanks to oil, NBC says they will have more on the story tonight on some new news show if anyone is interested

I heard about the job boom out there from several of my drivers. We have been taking loads to Williston, ND probably 2-3times per week for the last 3 months. I hope it doesn't end anytime soon, they pay very well.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dang..I live 250 miles south... I could make a killing with my trailer park and spare house....wonder if they want to commute?...LOL..as the area recovers (playing catch up) from the boom...and housing is built and or brought in...prices should level off after a while...

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Dang..I live 250 miles south... I could make a killing with my trailer park and spare house....wonder if they want to commute?...LOL..as the area recovers (playing catch up) from the boom...and housing is built and or brought in...prices should level off after a while...
Never know maybe you should put out ads in the papers and on craigslist and back page. do you have any thing that could be moved over to Williston???

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Never know maybe you should put out ads in the papers and on craigslist and back page. do you have any thing that could be moved over to Williston???

We are on the southern edge of the oil field....so ya never know...they have done seismic testing...

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
I made a delivery to Tioga North Dakota about two months ago. It went to a gas plant which was conveniently located right there in the middle of town. Tioga is in the northwest corner of ND about 250 miles of two lane road from I-94. The two lane reminded me of the road from the movie "Pet Sematary" in that there was a large truck passing by every few moments. The only difference was that every third truck was pulling half of someone's soon to be modular home. This surplus of oversized trailers to pass made the trip north especially exciting.

I read an article in the NY Times about the ND boom and they said the smell of success was in the air. I must say I also noticed a buzz, for lack of a better term. It was like everyone had a purpose, something to do, and they were busy at it. It was quite refreshing and if not for the housing shortage and the whole winter thing I wouldn't mind being up there. I read that strippers make more in ND than they do in NV so there are options for even those without CDL's. :)

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Whats new with this oil boom? If your young enough, go for it. If your comfy in ur van, sit some more, IMHO>

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
You think these pansy easterners will move out there?...

They'd rather sit and moan and groan about how bad America is treating them, blaming it all on greed....

Ever seen the winters out here?:eek:

Appearantly the occupy Bison movement hasn't made it there yet?!

A

Anomaly

The "unemployed" move to get a job!?!? And Leave families!?!? You unthinking, unfeeling bunch of....:mad::eek::rolleyes:

It does seem to be the most viable option for some of us, despite the fact that some people here would chastise others for doing exactly this :/

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I don't think anyone here would chastise a person for working away from home for awhile to take care of their family as it is exactly what OTR is plus the money is great so there is less financial risk.

It does seem to be the most viable option for some of us, despite the fact that some people here would chastise others for doing exactly this :/

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

A

Anomaly

Williston is where the whimps go ! I run Lignite and Minot allot, North east MT Talk about cold BRRR LOL. THE Money is way better and the bad part No truck stops, no vacant hotels and the best everything is closed sunday.

Trust me my drivers in Watford city earn their $ !!! They are living out of the tractors me I am the whimp I run around and then zip away to where humans are at .

Today I ran from Lignite, nd to Shelby, mt fun drive on hwy 5, 16, 2 super nice 2 lane with no truck stops. Tommorow I drive to Billings and get the rest of the cargo and then straight to del rio, tx are oil fields. and then houston back to lignite. See it's all fun. BTW hope you like slinging iron because even in the mud you gotta chain up the roads you deliver on are muddy and rock coated.

You need ST drivers in that area? Are they local runs? OTR?
Information please!