Noob Tire Rotation

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can’t seem to get in and out of a tire shop within 2 hours, even for things simple as a rotation. Any suggestions/advice, or is that just the way it is?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Back in the good old days when I was driving my Sprinter (it was either 2005 or 2006) I was rotating my tires in the parking lot at the TA in Knoxville, off of I40 exit 374. They have a different kind of a lot, not like other TAs out there. I was doing my work all by myself in a corner of the lot when a Panther cargo van pulled up alongside and asked me what I was doing. I told him I was rotating my tires and he kinda scoffed at me 'It looks too much like work.' He eventually left. I figured I was working for $25 an hour doing that, not to mention the exercise I was getting.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have mine balanced & rotated at Discount Tire in synch with my oil change interval. Every 10K mi ... I do the oil, they do the tires.

Ya know, Discount Tire takes appointments. I always make mine for first thing in the morning, normally 8 am. Two hours would drive me bonkers. After the free coffee & the usual .. "how many miles do you have on that van?" ... I'm normally out in 1 hr. or less ..

Reactions: Solar and Moot

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While we're talking tires, I'm gonna gripe a bit ...

Unfortunately I haven't kept a log of how often those guys at Discount Tire screw up the tire pressure, so I don't have an exact percentage .... but it's often! When they're done, I always pull it into the lot & check the tire pressure with my own gauge. It's amazing the subtle & sometimes big screw ups they make. Double check those crackheads ...

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Unfortunately I haven't kept a log of how often those guys at Discount Tire screw up the tire pressure, so I don't have an exact percentage .... but it's often! When they're done, I always pull it into the lot & check the tire pressure with my own gauge. It's amazing the subtle & sometimes big screw ups they make. Double check those crackheads ...
Yup agree. I usually recheck the pressure on site and correct the air pressure. So that I don't have to run around looking for air at the truck stop. Don't like to use my own portable air pump too often. They can overheat and burn out.

Oh... Don't forget the valve stem caps.

Reactions: Grizzly

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I agree. I always tell them when I check in that I run 60 psi front and 80 psi rear. I think no matter what they tend to go by the manufacturer's rating. Also that I want them to use their little magic wizardly thing to reset each tire because my Transit's TPS doesn't reset after driving. Slight inconveniences but in my opinion still the best national tire chain.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can one of you DIY tire rotators explain the process. Are you rotating the spare tire in the mix?