Noob Questions on Straight Trucks and Class A

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello All
Well, to get to the nitty gritty of my question, who makes more, a solo A class driver or a member of a team B class in a straight truck for a good, quality company?

Idk if I should pursue getting with someone else on a Straight Truck, or should I bite the bullet, get with a company, get my A, do the year/year and a half, get my experience, because in the long run that would be the best thing to do?

Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Hello All
Well, to get to the nitty gritty of my question, who makes more, a solo A class driver or a member of a team B class in a straight truck for a good, quality company?

Idk if I should pursue getting with someone else on a Straight Truck, or should I bite the bullet, get with a company, get my A, do the year/year and a half, get my experience, because in the long run that would be the best thing to do?

A team in straight truck is generally top revenue earners, followed by single straight truck owner operators. Others please chime in...

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Being a company driver in a semi if with a good company should gross $1,000 a week minimum plus you have insurance and no major expenses like o/o

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
What has been truly surprising to me at Landstar is how well a solo can do. The solo's here in straight trucks run all over the country and stay busy. The key though is they are not spoon fed loads they are actively looking for loads within Landstar and staying in contact with the agents.

Reactions: Skyline

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What has been truly surprising to me at Landstar is how well a solo can do. The solo's here in straight trucks run all over the country and stay busy. The key though is they are not spoon fed loads they are actively looking for loads within Landstar and staying in contact with the agents.

Any idea what the longest solo straight truck run would be typically and how frequent they are? I really wanted to get a straight but I feel like if I did I would be on the road non stop and get too addicted to slaving away on the highways with a van I can kinda take time off when needed. Straights seems pretty serious though guess you have to adapt. I can't decide if I should buy a house and become a land lord and build equity or get a straight truck... other option is a 15/16 Sprinter and just run coast to coast long runs.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
It is all up to you and work that you put into getting loads. It is a mixture of short loads and long loads. If you put a lot of restrictions on what you can and will do, how long you will stay out, and times you will run, and your qualifications such as you will not run hazmat, then the list of available loads gets shorter and shorter. Your thoughts of getting a Sprinter and running coast to coast is probably not going to happen... There are just not that many loads like that in a straight truck or a sprinter.