no driving experience & traveling w/a dog

langren18

Expert Expediter
Hi there. My husband and I are seriously considering getting into expediting. He has OTR T/T experience, but I don't have any. I'm currently studying to get my CDL permit and start practicing. In the experience/opinions of all of you, are there owners that would hire us? Also, we have a 110 lb Rottweiler that would be traveling with us - are there owners willing to let pets travel with their drivers? We're hoping to get into a straight truck next spring.

Thanks for your time!
Deb

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I hope you won't take this the wrong way but here it is anyway. Do you keep your huge 110 pound dog closed inside a walk in closet at your home about 22-23 hours a day? Basically that's what putting the dog into the truck to live is doing. That being said, there are quite a few trucks with dogs in them and I'd have to believe that at least some of them are drivers and not O/O. Good luck to you.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
There are many drop sites that will not allow a truck on site with a pet. A dog that size will not be let in. You can solve that by staying outside the gate with the dog and have your husband go on in.

With your husbands experience you will be fine getting on with a company. The dog of that size will be your stumbling block. LDB made a very good point. Think about your husband putting you and the dog in a porta potty and then setting that on a wagon and pulling you around for 24 hours.

Now if you get past the porta potta example at least use it for a size reference, how long do you think you will be able to go before you are crazy with no sleep or rest?

Do it as a couple and leave the dog at home. You will find this to be test of your love of your husband. If you have a dog that size in there on top of everything else, well lets just say I would not want to be around any of you by day eight. Good luck

Raceman
OTR O/O

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
That is where I would draw the line. A dog as large as a Boxer if it were friendly yes, any bigger or meaner of a breed no. Even if it were a friendly dog the breed has its reputation.

Also could an owner be held liable should ole Roscoe decide to tear an arm off?

raceman

Veteran Expediter
To follow up on what BP has mentioned, YES! Yes an owner can get in to some very expensive bills if that dog bits someone.

One of my drivers, back when I thought being a fleet owner was a good idea, had a cat in the truck. A worker, at a drop site, stuck his arm in the truck to pet the cat. The cat was a nasty little B^%$#, much like my driver at the time, and boy did that almost cost me an arm and leg.

This idea can go bad in so many ways. Just try it with the husband for a while. If in fact that works out you will most likely come up with the idea of leaving the dog at home on your own.

Raceman
OTR O/O

CBeaner76

Expert Expediter
My husband & I started out the same way, he has driven T/T for 15+ years and I had a Class A Permit with no experience. We also have two fairly good sized dogs one is a Boxer/Pitt Mix (75#) the other is a Bassett mix (50#). We found a good fleet owner who let me train in his truck and didn't have a problem with the dogs. As far as the dogs being in the truck they love it. They would rather be in the truck than us have regular jobs working 10+ hours a day and living in an apartment, they are always with us and get all the attention they want. As far as viciousness of the animals, we keep a muzzle close at hand for DOT purposes, truck repairs, etc. Most people have enough sense not to go up to a strange animal but, for those who don't, we never leave the doors unlocked or the windows down that don't have screens, which is something any responsible owner does(or at least should do). We have never had a problem with the pets not being allowed on certain properties either. I do know there are a few that won't allow them. Our company keeps us up to date as to which companies have that policy and we just refuse the load.(We haven't lost a load because of that yet and have been at it for 8+ months now). We argue, but I know other couples that aren't "trapped in a box" that argue alot more often than us, actually I think the dogs make it better because it gives us someone other than each other to talk to. Sorry to have rambled on... I'm not going to lie to you and tell you it's great. If it's something you want to do, you should do it. Hope I answered some of your questions.

Good Luck

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Don't forget the shot record card from the veterinarian. Canadian Customs challenged us and our Bulgarian Weasel Hound because we had the rabies tag but not the papers. We were in a bind and they eventually let us in. Not sure how the U.S. Customs would react if you couldn't prove dog citizenship or shots status.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The rotweiler got me in the conversation. Years ago I shared my truck with a rotweiler, and this was a KW100 cabover. He jumped in easier than I did. He was a wonderful companion in the truck and I often think about him. No, he wasn't inclined to bite or be nasty as he was a pet and friend. I did have to use the normal precautions as he was a big animal (OK, we both were).

During the last 8 years, my traveling companions (besides my wifely codriver) have included up to 4 dogs, all living comfortably in a 72" sleeper, as the bigger ones take up residence in the front seats when we park for the night. There have been loads we have missed because of our dogs and my wife has been asked to hold the dogs at a McDonalds for pickup or delivery NOT. All in all, I would not have changed anything. During all this time there has never been any damage to the truck or sleeper from the dogs (they have to get frequent baths too).

As far as owners accepting a couple with a roty, I would as I have in the past. You should be willing to post a damage deposit in case and take plenty of pictures before and after.

Vernon in C2197

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One thing to consider that I did not see mentioned. When you are moving after a while the dog gets bored and is lulled to sleep.
When you drop your load and need some sleep yourself the dog is now awake,wants to be walked,looks and barks at strangers etc.