Nissan NV3500

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I passed by my local Nissan dealer today and saw the NV3500 on their lot so I decided to check it out.
I think it is the nicest van I have seen. It is very roomy and comfortable. Cab is by far the nicest. It seems well built. Anyone 6'3' can stand inside( I'm 6'5" so I can't). Pay load is just under 3600 lbs with nothing added. GVW is 9900 lbs. 70" interior width. 54.3" between wheel wells. 61" door opening. Don't know door opening height but it was about the same as my 2006 Sprinter high top. Mileage according to Edmonds is 13 city, 18 highway, combined 15.
Everything is great except that the cargo length is only 120".

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I passed by my local Nissan dealer today and saw the NV3500 on their lot so I decided to check it out.
I think it is the nicest van I have seen. It is very roomy and comfortable. Cab is by far the nicest. It seems well built. Anyone 6'3' can stand inside( I'm 6'5" so I can't). Pay load is just under 3600 lbs with nothing added. GVW is 9900 lbs. 70" interior width. 54.3" between wheel wells. 61" door opening. Don't know door opening height but it was about the same as my 2006 Sprinter high top. Mileage according to Edmonds is 13 city, 18 highway, combined 15.
A friend drives one and likes it a lot. But the actual driver area isn't nearly as spacious as a Sprinter, and I don't think I could get used to not being able to walk into the back due to the console being in the way. Maybe once it grows up i.e. the cargo area, it might be decent.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Well,congratulations are in order. :)
there is one brave driver out there !
watched a new tall NV enjoying the beltway rush hour yesterday .
leased on to T&K expedite.
good luck.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Starting to see a lot of them on dealers lots. I hope they sell well, competition is always good and it may lead to a longer version.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I delivered to the plant in Canton Ms yesterday where they are built...I was able to see them in several stages of prodution as well as finished..they are put together real good...alot of internal structural supports for the hightop....the console would be a deal breaker along with no long load floor..."I am sure the console could be removed as well as the pass seat, but to stretch the load floor ain't happen...so....oh and they are now building a window pass van also, only seen it in the lowtop....and as for color....lets just say it looked like a field of fresh clean WHITE snow..with a spot of burgundy and then blue every once in a while....

ballop

Active Expediter
Just joined up today to see if any owners of these can chime in. I am buying either this or a sprinter to make deliveries to a college campus as my other trucks are too large. I was very impressed. They also throw in oil changes and inspections for life. The spinter is about 44-50K and this was 31k and i think the sprinter much more costly to maintain. May last longer, but still might cost double over the long run. In my area parts and service now have to go thru MB dealer.

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
. Mileage according to Edmonds is 13 city, 18 highway, combined 15.

For that kind of money, you better add few more thousands and get a Sprinter... since NV came on market, I didn't not even one on the road...

ballop

Active Expediter
i got a reply from my inquiry on a sprinter. To get payload i need (NV is 3800) i would have to get the 3500 sprinter which our local MB Dealer has listed for 45,885. Seems like a big difference from 31K. Am i missing something??

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
i got a reply from my inquiry on a sprinter. To get payload i need (NV is 3800) i would have to get the 3500 sprinter which our local MB Dealer has listed for 45,885. Seems like a big difference from 31K. Am i missing something??

I wouldn't put more than 3000 in it, no matter if it's Chevy, Ford, Sprinter or NV. 31k you say? Hmm, they either dropped the price, or you found a cheap dealer, 'cause they asked me for a NV 3500 way more than you just said... with sales taxes it was close to 40k...

ballop

Active Expediter
the most expensive one they had on the lot was the 3500SV with electric windows and a bunch of stuff i dont need, it was 32,800 plus deliver, tax, etc. I just built one online and it came in at $32,160 delivered for the 3500S with the high roof and the back up camera added. He said the have been selling at list but could probably take a "nickel" off. Not sure what that means but i am guessing 500 bucks. They are also throwing in free upfit this month from Adrian Steel with the cargo partition and three shelving units. I know the free oil changes for life are rather small, but he said the interval was 3750 miles so they can add up. I assume they want to fix other things while you have it in. I am assuming when they talk payload that i need to deduct the weight of these shelves and two (possibly) men at 250 lbs. One skid of copy paper alone is 2,000 pounds so i can see 2,000-3,400 being a range of what i need daily. I am sure 3,800 would cover it, but i don't want to chance the 2500 version with a payload rating of around 2,600.

I have been looking at all the posts here of guys that are at 300-500,000 miles on their sprinters and still very undecided SPRINTER vs NV, but my drivers only put on local miles and the years take their toles as much as the miles. I think some parts have a "years" life and some have a "miles" life, but i am by no means an expert.....

Deville

Not a Member
Saw one on a lot last week, much bigger than I thought it was. I was under the impression that it was direct compation to the Ford Transit, but looking at it now it's closer to the sprinter. It actually falls right inbetween the 2.

I think it's ugly, but if it's built well & functional than who cares.

ballop

Active Expediter
One thing i think will be (if i buy) annoying is that every one of them has this cargo mat in the back, with a very think "mat" under it, kinda like a very thick carpet padding. I am afraid heavy cargo will be very hard to slide around or move on it as it will embed a little. Anyone have this model and can comment one way or another on this?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
One thing i think will be (if i buy) annoying is that every one of them has this cargo mat in the back, with a very think "mat" under it, kinda like a very thick carpet padding. I am afraid heavy cargo will be very hard to slide around or move on it as it will embed a little. Anyone have this model and can comment one way or another on this?

Why wouldn't you have plywood down over the mat?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
If you are running strictly locals and don't need the room for a bunk or sleeper, then I don't think the NV would be a bad purchase...as i said in my post above, they are put together very well...the mat, most all cargo vans come with a mat floor covering..take it out and cover the metal floor with plywood and install e-track so you can properly secure your loads..

One thing to keep in mind...those free oil changes might not apply to a vehecile that is titles commerical......

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For anyone expediting the oil changes wouldn't be that great since you'd often be away when it was time for a change.

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
Saw one on a lot last week, much bigger than I thought it was. I was under the impression that it was direct compation to the Ford Transit, but looking at it now it's closer to the sprinter. It actually falls right inbetween the 2.

I think it's ugly, but if it's built well & functional than who cares.

Are you talking about the real Ford Transit, or the Ford Transit Connect? 'Cause the real Transit is big as a Sprinter...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The REAL Ford Transit isn't in our country for sale...allow though i have seen several at a few Ford factories.....

Camper

Not a Member
Precisely- The Transit Connect which is what's here is nothing more than a glorified Focus with high roof and cargo area.

The Real Transit is slated to be the replacement for the Econoline Vans, if I'm not mistaken.