Nissan NV HD S HighTop V6 fuel mileage

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good data.. Definitely use the math from the gas pump not the indash.
Gasoline in N.Y.S. average $4.00/gal 19 MPG comes to $.21 per mile not bad at all.

How much do you figure the maintenance cost per mile comes to? Both parts and labor.

Bob Wolf.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have not talked to any owners of the Nissan claiming better than 16 mpg

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi LDB,

An overall number since new is 19.5 average mpg at 60 mph consistently, with no coasting or JDM Chip.

Respectfully,
Mark

Thanks for the detailed information. So based on your particular experience someone going with the v6 could project 18mpg overall using a 60mph cruising speed and potentially be conservative in their estimate.

And that's based on 72k of actual fuel receipts and arithmetic not dashboard reports?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Everyone,

It's been a bit, but I have been researching a lot of stuff. Nissan does make a van that could rival the new Transit, it's called the NV400, but it's not available in the US :( ... Morons!

I asked Nissan about that beauty named NV400... let's see if they'll ever answer back...

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
The thing about the dash readout for fuel mileage is good for helping someone develop good driving habits because it will give a constant readout. But it is only a snapshot of the cost per mile. There is only one way that I know of to know what the fuel cost per mile is for your vehicle. Start with a full tank and write the milage down. Keep track of all fuel purchases, gallons, ( I did mine to three decimals if I remember correctly) and total amount paid. You need to do this for at least ten fill ups. (I did mine from the day I bought my truck until the day I sold it) Then and only then did I know what my real cost per mile was for the truck. When you know what your actual MPG is over a period of time you will better understand what you're margins are. It will also let you monitor the condition of the truck because if you notice you're MPG dropping you either changed you're driving conditions or technique, or you could have clogged filters or other problems developing.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Excellent Jim! I touched on this in another post. I have a ScanGauge and use it as a guide for fuel mileage. I record every fuel purchase. I use the following trip sheet to record my fuel purchases and other info for each trip.

Attachments

• Trip Sheet.jpg
    Trip Sheet.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 86

mzraik

Active Expediter
I have not talked to any owners of the Nissan claiming better than 16 mpg

Hi Ziggi,

I too have talked to other NV drivers who constantly get 14-16 with the V6 or V8. They usually have passed me on the highway going about 70.

The terrain, headwinds, and other factors have a lot to do with it as well, mostly the right foot, though. Not saying they were driving too hard, because sometimes you really are in expedite mode and have to get it there yesterday... SOOOO, 14-16 doesn't surprise me at all.

I ran a load to a small town in CT where the last 5 miles I could have used a 4x4. The hills and curves reminded me of the days when I ran my Dad's Ford F250 4x4 up and down Green Mountain in Colorado, when I was a teenager. Needless to say, the fuel mileage under those conditions went to crap!, but that's part of the business.

I have been fortunate that the loads I have fallen into are loads that have reasonable time tables for pick up and delivery, as well as having weights that are between 300 and 1000 lbs, and occasionally the 2200 pounder. I run on my own authority and do not have a dispatcher riding my tail. Each load is negotiated, including sometimes, the p/u and delivery windows.

I'd rather pass on a load and get the next one, rather than run my truck and me into the ground.
I do realize not everyone has that available, and in the past, I too ran for a Fleet Owner, but, he ran out of money, so I started my own thing, and ...well...here we are.

I make every effort to squeeze every once of mileage out of the gas I buy. I even added a 5/8" hose to fill the gap between the bumper and the fender to improve aerodynamics, and will be adding more modifications as I go along.

If possible and safe, I coast to stoplights, stop signs, while using the off ramps and on the downhills and let the weight push me while in neutral (Engine ON, though!). I also put it in neutral at stop lights that I think will be red for a bit. No use having the engine trying to move you forward in gear when your foot is on the brake. I didn't invent these driving techniques, but I sure do implement them, and they have been paying off rather well.

The V8 uses a cylinder technology that if I had bought my NV with a V8, would be tempting fate when you start modifying things. The V6 is always a V6, and that is what I counted on. The use of performance chips and so on, if desired, wasn't as much of a risk on the V6. Even though the chip is unplugged for now, it will be returned to services once I have completed the other mods to the van. I see folks using "Airtabs", but the real messy air is under the truck, hence; modification under the truck is going to have greater results than over.

I'll keep posting as I go.

Mark

Last edited:

Davebtriplea

Rookie Expediter
One thing I like about it is that it takes regular gas so you don't have to hunt for a gas station with diesel like the sprinter. But I like both vans.