Cargo Van Next truck, maybe?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Ford van has been very good to me, but it is a flattop. This 12' mini cube is the truck type I have wanted for a long time, but it only grosses at 8600, so I passed on it back in 2012. However, effective with the 2013 model year the GVW goes up to a much more usable 9900'. Since Penske sells their cubes after 4 years, these vehicles should be available within the next 9 months.

Question is, what can I expect from a GMC, seeing as I've been a Ford guy for so long? What kind of fuel economy could I expect (this van has the 4.8 )? Are they comfortable? Anything to especially look out for?

Attachments

• 1470175103631.jpg
    1470175103631.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 47

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Ford van has been very good to me, but it is a flattop. This 12' mini cube is the truck type I have wanted for a long time, but it only grosses at 8600, so I passed on it back in 2012. However, effective with the 2013 model year the GVW goes up to a much more usable 9900'. Since Penske sells their cubes after 4 years, these vehicles should be available within the next 9 months.

Question is, what can I expect from a GMC, seeing as I've been a Ford guy for so long? What kind of fuel economy could I expect (this van has the 4.8 )? Are they comfortable? Anything to especially look out for?
Well both my GM vans prior to my currant ford seen 700,000 miles, the 95 needed 1 trans and my 03 had 3 rebuilt trans. But other than that very little in repairs.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
890k on my 04. All original except ac compressor went last month. For a SRW box truck I'd want the 6.0.
Expect a short life for the 6sp trans compared to the old 4sp.

Reactions: ntimevan and Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
890k on my 04. All original except ac compressor went last month. For a SRW box truck I'd want the 6.0.
Expect a short life for the 6sp trans compared to the old 4sp.
What about the motor for the driver's window? You sure are hard on equipment.
For a SRW box truck I'd want the 6.0.
I agree.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
For a SRW box truck I'd want the 6.0.

This is the type of vehicle im looking into as well. I used to haul 2-3000 pounds in an Astro with the 4.3 and it hauled the weight pretty well. I figured the 4.8 would be enough to haul the weight while getting better gas milage. What would you say the advantages of the 6.0 are over the 4.8?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is the type of vehicle im looking into as well. I used to haul 2-3000 pounds in an Astro with the 4.3 and it hauled the weight pretty well. I figured the 4.8 would be enough to haul the weight while getting better gas milage. What would you say the advantages of the 6.0 are over the 4.8?
The 6 has a much stouter bottom end and very little difference in fuel economy. I've owned both.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All of the SRW cubes are 4.8. If I wanted a 6.0, I'd have to buy the truck new. If I could afford a new truck, I'd get a Transit. So, 4.8 it is.

In my favor, I'm a gentle driver. I never have seen the sense in beating the s*it out of something I paid good money for.

Reactions: fastman_1

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Get a passive transmission cooler and you will not have to worry about the mountains....

The van I have now has a factory separate cooler, but yes, I've been a fan of separate coolers for a long time. For the life of me, I can't figure out how you're supposed to keep your transmission fluid cool by running it through a blistering hot radiator :confused:

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I had a 22k gvrw cooler put on my old sprinter after the new transmission was put in and never had a problem afterwards up in the mountains....the terramax has a factory cooler with a fan that I think kicks on when I push the tow/haul button.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All of the SRW cubes are 4.8. If I wanted a 6.0, I'd have to buy the truck new. If I could afford a new truck, I'd get a Transit. So, 4.8 it is.

In my favor, I'm a gentle driver. I never have seen the sense in beating the s*it out of something I paid good money for.
My guess is that a Penske cube spec'd with a 4.8 also comes with a 4:11 axle ratio. Even with the 6 speed transmission, the 4:11 rears will probably kill your fuel economy.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My guess is that a Penske cube spec'd with a 4.8 also comes with a 4:11 axle ratio. Even with the 6 speed transmission, the 4:11 rears will probably kill your fuel economy.

I checked: 3.42. I don't care how fast it is, as long as it works :)

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
3:42 rears with the 6 speed should get 16 mpg if driven conservatively.
I just noticed that the Penske cube pictured doesn't have a roof fairing. That could cost you a mile per gallon, maybe more.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just noticed that the Penske cube pictured doesn't have a roof fairing. That could cost you a mile per gallon, maybe more.

Even worse, I've had guys tell me that with the high box the 4.8 has trouble holding overdrive.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm still surprised that Penske would spec these with 3:42 rears.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

The space over the cab I was thinking might be a good place for an AC. I could always install a wing fairing in a pinch, too

Reactions: DST001