Newbie with a dumb question

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Where does one go to be able to actually drive a straight truck to see what it's like? A road test, so to speak? I explored the insides of the trucks at the Expo but I would like to know how it feels to drive one before I get too excited about this. (I have my CDL)

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where does one go to be able to actually drive a straight truck to see what it's like? A road test, so to speak? I explored the insides of the trucks at the Expo but I would like to know how it feels to drive one before I get too excited about this. (I have my CDL)
Confusing question. If one has a CDL at least you would have driven a tractor to gain access to the CDL, so my question is if one has driven a tractor, how much different is it between a tractor and a straight truck?

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Treadmill, that is exactly my question...how much difference is there between driving a tractor coupled with a 53' trailer versus driving a customized straight truck? The most obvious difference at first glance is the parking but what about maneuverability? There are individuals out there that can get behind the wheel of anything with tires and have no problem but I am not one of them, hence, the question.

Danthewolf00, I live in northern Alabama where the truck dealers aren't. If anyone knows of a location (yes, Whitehaven, for sure!) then I'd appreciate the info.

smokeybandit23....huh?

Reactions: TeamPaul

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Pretty close to Bobtailing. With better ride and handling.
If you mastered or T/T, or even lived through a year of T/T, you'll probably love straights.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
how much difference is there between driving a tractor coupled with a 53' trailer versus driving a customized straight truck? The most obvious difference at first glance is the parking but what about maneuverability?

Maneuverability is superb in a straight truck compared to a semi. When I drove a straight and had to park with the big boys, I could usually count on a spot being open that semi's would pass on.

I live in northern Alabama where the truck dealers aren't

May sound dumb, but in this case I'd rent the largest longest U-Haul truck you can find. Drive it around, the maneuverability is similar to a straight truck.

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was going to suggest renting a Penske, thought the ride quality/ experience would possibly scare him off. With the modern automatics close to driving a car.
Always felt straight was as manuverable as my 350 Dually.
I agree with RT on the parking.
And going into an Applebee's etc for dinner kind of sealed the deal for us.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can see the back end way better. Rear overhang will screw with you when backing. When backing turn the other way, LOL.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rear overhang will screw with you when backing. When backing turn the other way, LOL.

Oh man just had a flash back. I had a small Chevy Cavalier. When I would come home after driving semi for weeks, besides feeling like my butt was dragging on the road, I was always turning the wrong way to back my car up. Also one time while making a right hand turn with my dad in the car, he asked me puzzled, "why do you turn so wide?"

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Oh man just had a flash back. I had a small Chevy Cavalier. When I would come home after driving semi for weeks, besides feeling like my butt was dragging on the road, I was always turning the wrong way to back my car up. Also one time while making a right hand turn with my dad in the car, he asked me puzzled, "why do you turn so wide?"

I have even double clutched my Nissan Pathfinder...

Reactions: RoadTime

TDave

Expert Expediter
Treadmill, that is exactly my question...how much difference is there between driving a tractor coupled with a 53' trailer versus driving a customized straight truck? The most obvious difference at first glance is the parking but what about maneuverability? There are individuals out there that can get behind the wheel of anything with tires and have no problem but I am not one of them, hence, the question.

Danthewolf00, I live in northern Alabama where the truck dealers aren't. If anyone knows of a location (yes, Whitehaven, for sure!) then I'd appreciate the info.

smokeybandit23....huh?

I always tell people when they ask, driving a straight truck is like driving a big pick up. Rear wheel drive, empty weight and blind spots. Its not like driving a tractor trailer imo

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
So, a quick update to this thread...Beth is my wife! We have been working the local high school band now for the last 8-years with a tractor trailer, where I have been the sole driver. This marching season, the largest by far, will require the addition of a straight truck to be rented to haul everything that the band requires for a show. Since I am in charge of transportation, I will be placing my wife in the drivers seat of the 26 or 24 foot box truck. She should get plenty of driving experience this season what with 5-games and up to 4-competitions on the schedule.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That will be awesome experience for your wife though I hope she remembers what she saw at Expo and there is a big difference living in a truck with sleeper and a day cab straight truck. Having the home amenities sitting right behind you sure makes life nice when you stop.

Look around for a truck driving school near you that has straight trucks, a local delivery vehicle might give you a ride, or a friend of a friend might help you out. Maybe what we need to do is at the next Expedite Expo is set up a Ride and Drive area like they do at some of the big truck shows...

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
TeamCaffee, Beth here. I got to talk with you a few minutes at the Expo and you showed me your setup which was awesome! Okay, the porta potty was the selling point but the rest was very impressive too. I appreciate all the helpful tips and advice. I have to say that the expediting community has welcomed us with open arms and we thank you all.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
bethletters I think you will find the Expedite community to be very friendly and helpful. Remember when ever you can practice backing as it will help you drive forward when you get into a tight area as you know exactly where your pivot points are. I think you will do well and remember patience and that you are a new driver. I think we women put to much pressure on ourselves to be perfect when we should not as we are learning. Forget women driver comments and think you are learning to be a professional driver and in no time you will be able to drive circles around them.

Remember ask lots of questions and if you do not want to ask the question on here send a PM or email.