newbie, wannabe, maybe

drosie

Expert Expediter
Hello to all. I've been enjoying all the activity on this site for several months..great fuel for my daydreaming. I have a couple questions that I haven't seen posted yet. I'm wondering if there is such a thing as parttime expediting..I'll be retired sometime in the next couple years. I'd be happy staying out and running hard when there's plenty of work and money to be made, but can't see myself stuck on the road when there's not enough work to go around. Do any owner/operators work that way, and if so, for which companys? I'd probably be running a B unit, which brings me to my next question..what would be an average $/mile rate for an o/o B unit?? The driver surveys seem to show it's only about .50/mile..I'm hoping that there are drivers in those numbers that are not owners?? Thanks in advance for any info.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yes, you can be a "part time" expediter. However, when you are sitting
at home, or, off duty, you must understand that deductions such as
insurance, satellite equipment lease, etc. will continue. Also, most
of the companys frown on having assets sitting around they can't use
and might make it a little difficult for you to stay leased to anyone.

As far as revenue, depends on how cheezy a freight you accept.

KandS2

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I believe that some O/O with LEA (Landstar Express) operate that way(taking long periods of time off). Of course, the deductions continue, and there's no income, but if you want to, you can take extended periods of time off.

Stay safe out there!

harry

Expert Expediter
well now i don't know about the rest of the co's out there but the one i work for has a board in one of their offices and if you are unfortunate to make that list for being out of service to often they will terminate your lease. i won't say the name of the co. but it rhymes with hamster. have a merry christmas and a happy new year.:) :+

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you didn't say what type of of wheels you had,
and where you lived, there are a couple of places if you live in
hampton roads area in va that use part time drivers and use cars, vans, pu truck's and don't need cdl to work for , go out to airport
in what city you live and there are many company's out there that
you might make a match with if you live in richmond are
call rds in glen allen va 800 221 0004 ask for ed (richmond va area)