Newbie Question (Searched forums thoroughly) Purchasing a Freightliner M2. Need help.

Jonathan

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, and happy Monday. My name is Jonathan Guthridge. I own and operate Budget Movers in Beaverton, Oregon.

I have $32,000 dollars - of which I would like to spend no more than $20,000 for a moving truck. (I need to have a cushion for repairs/DOT compliance/decals/maintenance/unexpected disasters etc...)

I presently lease a 2015 Hino 268A from Enterprise Commercial Truck out of Tualatin, Oregon with a monthly lease payment of $1,850.00 + .14 cents per mile. Which equals out to roughly $2,250.00 - $2,500.00 dollars per month. Now the positive here is that I don't worry about any damage or any maintenance, it's ALL paid by Enterprise.

My goal is to save money monthly/increase profit. To do this I want to break my lease and give the Hino back to Enterprise and buy a truck cash.

My presupposition/assumption is that if I own my trucks outright, I will increase my profit margin. My fear is that this will not prove to be true if I buy a lemon. My presupposition is based off this verse: Proverbs 14:4 "Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean, but abundant crops come by the strength of the ox." In paraphrase: "Where there are only lease trucks, you don't worry about maintenance and problems, but abundant revenues come by the strength of an owned truck" So essentially you have to start shoveling :censoredsign: if you have a bunch of oxen in the stable. "More trucks, More problems"

99% of my operation is transport of used household goods locally within a 50 mile radius of Beaverton, Oregon.

I give all that backstory because I feel it is important to explain WHY I want to purchase a truck, to open up my presuppositions for critical feedback and counsel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, on to the question: This is the truck I'd like to purchase. Here are the specs:
  • 2006 24' Freightliner M2 box truck.
  • 303K miles
  • C7 CAT 210HP
  • Automatic
  • Air Ride
  • Role up door
  • 3000 lbs lift gate
  • AC
  • Cruise Control
  • Duel 50 gallon fuel tanks
  • HID head lights
  • This has been a great truck for me. Its in great shape and I'm only selling it because I am getting a new one.
The seller wants $20,000. I don't want to pay that much because:

A) The truck has over 300,000 miles.
B) The truck has the C7 Cat, which if I've read correctly is NOT as reliable as the MBE-900 or the Cummins ISB. and
C) The truck is automatic. (More likely to fail, but my drivers can not drive stick)

What would you offer for the truck or is this a good deal? Any thoughts/feedback? Thank you!

Bonus question: How much do you pay for monthly maintenance on an older M2?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
My .02 is stay away from the Mbe unless it's very low miles cummin is best in that truck the cat was the replacement for the Mbe and the cummins is the replacement for the cat ! And they're not interchangeable . The price is a little high just my .02

Jonathan

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
tknight,

Thanks, kindly. That seems to be the consensus based on what I've read thus far. Appreciate your 2 cents.

Reactions: vandriver2

Jonathan

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Vandriver2: You're absolutely right. And believe me, I've been drooling over a 2016 with a Kentucky movers body lol :) Can't quite afford it though and I'm up against the ropes because this winter I have seen a 40% drop in business, which is way more than any preceding winter since I've been operating!

PaulnStef39: Truck paper. I'm all over that. I've also been browsing usedmovingvans, commercialtrucktrader and ebay motors. I also tried to locate some moving company auctions or commercial equipment auctions. Nothing has popped up yet that's within a reasonable distance (1,000miles) - but good reminder. I need to get back on Ebay motors, because there are a lot of options on there for searching.

Thanks for input. Any other ideas are appreciated!

Reactions: vandriver2

JohnnyBoy

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
My cousin from Gresham bought an M2 from OH and drive back to OR earlier this year and it had 180,000 on it for $15,000 with the Mercedes engine and now only nothing but problems due to parts so expensive. I'm from Detroit and we're getting parts here to send to him. Stay away from theses engines.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Stay away from Cat. Horrible company. They will not honor their expensive extended warranty even when their technician says it's the cleanest and best cared for engine he's ever torn down in 10 years and obviously had 100% correct maintenance. Cummins is a better company.

Reactions: Jonathan

Jonathan

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Johnnyboy: Thank you so much for that information. I would like to reach out to him - I just looked up his profile on UShip, he's got very high ratings.

PaulnStef: Sending now.

LBD: From everything I've read that sounds correct. So I'm going to keep searching for a Cummins-based M2. Does anyone know when they began putting the Cummins engines in them?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Johnnyboy: Thank you so much for that information. I would like to reach out to him - I just looked up his profile on UShip, he's got very high ratings.

PaulnStef: Sending now.

LBD: From everything I've read that sounds correct. So I'm going to keep searching for a Cummins-based M2. Does anyone know when they began putting the Cummins engines in them?
2009 I'm thinking or 2010

Reactions: Jonathan

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
There's a Freightliner M2 languishing in my yard. 350k miles, Cat C7. The engine needs to be removed and sleeved because a broken ring shredded the parent-bore block.

Here's another M2 that showed up at work. Cat C7.

xR9pBVf.jpg
acpOFXH.jpg
ftRuZw3.jpg
O8T12Xh.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Cat C7.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Do you think those issues could be caused by a failed piston cooler or lean condition caused by a faulty fuel injector? Because of the heaviest gouging adjacent to the piston pin axis, would indicate an overheat condition. The piston expands the most around the largest mass, that around the piston pin and when the overheat causes expansion, this is what you see. I am not a fan of parent bore blocks because of the cost of repair, but there are mobile machinists that can cut the bore in frame just like they cut counter bores in Cummins blocks.

Jonathan

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh man... Now you got me scared. I bought the truck. Paid $17,000.00 cash.

Feel like it was a mistake... But we shall see. Going 2,551 miles between now and next Sunday delivering Christmas Trees for Santa 'N Sons tree farm out of Junction City, OR.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I really wish I had the time and a space to work in I'd love to really see just how destroyed that Mbe 900 motor I got ripped off on is inside !

Reactions: greasytshirt

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Vehicles are lousy investments, Unfortunately with anything used car, truck, houses, pets, you are at the mercy of the former owners and drivers.
If the truck was well maintained, and has over 300,000 miles on it mileage wise there are two ways to look at it.
1) Good The truck is young middle aged, the engine and transmission are broken in and with proper maintenance you have plenty of life left.
2) Bad You are over half way to an inframe for the engine, transmission, or drive axle, or due to see some major work.
I would also look at the service hours as well, the hours include idle time not just miles driven. A careless owner, driver, or a half aszed mechanic will turn a good piece of equipment into junk. Good owners, drivers and mechanics will result in a truck that will typically deliver between 350K and 500K before open heart surgery.

I would consider pulling fluid samples engine oil, and coolant, transmission oil / fluid, drive axle oil and have them analyzed Check with Shell they cost about 10-15 bucks each this will give you a good idea of what's going on.
If you recently changed the engine lube pull one about 6,000 miles or two or three weeks whichever hits first and at the engine every 6K then every oil change. This is no different than having blood work done when you have your physical, gives you an idea of the trucks health condition.
If there are major abnormal readings or the advice from shell says major work or rebuild time find a buyer, or be ready for the bill. Diesel engines are ridiculously expensive to overhaul depending on the engine $10,000 to $20,000 so stay on top of their health.