Newbie...Just Retired From Private Jet Piloting...Now Have Class A CDL...Now What?

captiva240

Active Expediter
Hi!

Brand new on this forum and need help figuring out what to do when I 'grow up'. :)

The company I was flying for downsized and got rid of it's full time jet pilot. I decided to go to CDL school because it was something I was interested in and it was paid for by a Federal Program for the recently unemployed. Pilot market is horrible right now, besides I've been doing that for almost thirty-five years. Just yesterday I completed my Class A CDL road test with HAZMAT, Double/Triples, tanker. Today I completed my Class B road test. Now to find out what to do with it.

I've nothing that is keeping me from doing anything. Divorced and planning on staying that way. I'm not real keen on spending months together with a trainer. My Bus 'test giver' suggested I check into expediting. I have a job offer to drive a sight seeing coach in Alaska, but I'm a little concerned the same thing day after day will get old quick, even in Alaska.

I have no felonies, no DUI's and only 1 moving violation in the last ten years or so. While I could just retire and be done, I'm to young of a sixty year to do that. I also have my 100 Ton Captain's license and a Real Estate License.

How can I find someone to 'mentor' me on a trip they are taking to see if it's something I might like or not. I do love to travel and do love 'road trips', so it seems to me that I might just fit in the expediter field.

Any advice on where to go from here will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Don Coleman
[email protected]

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Call load 1 and ask for Bryans Bishops phone number. He is a,jet pilot with straight trucks. Good luck!

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

captiva240

Active Expediter
Re: Newbie...Just Retired From Private Jet Piloting...Now Have Class A CDL...Now What

Thanks! I'll give him a call. Don

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Re: Newbie...Just Retired From Private Jet Piloting...Now Have Class A CDL...Now What

I think you'll find that being stuck in Chicago rush hour traffic on a Friday afternoon is really no better than being stuck in a holding pattern above O'Hare.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter

Last I heard Airnet was looking for Lear jet pilots..

Welcome to expediting!

The only reason I mentioned Airnet is I have to guess that sitting in the captains seat of a plane must pay more than the captains seat of a truck.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter

Why do jet pilots say "rotate" when they leave the runway?
Beats me. but it's right up there with "taxi'n" I have yet to see a cab on the ramp or runway!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Beats me. but it's right up there with "taxi'n" I have yet to see a cab on the ramp or runway!
you could have seen my truck on the ramp at O`hare. Then it could have been "Truckin". Wonder why that never caught on?

captiva240

Active Expediter

Hi Guys! Thanks for all the replies. While I can still fly, no one wants a sixty year old pilot. Besides, I've been flying for almost forty years. I sure don't understand the philosophy of not wanting experience, but that is what it is. I'm semi-retired, so am looking for something that I might have some control over what I do, while still bringing in some additional income.

I do have a job offer to drive tourist around in a motor coach in Alaska for a cruise line and am actually thinking about it, although the money will barely cover expenses, but will be a good adventure.

Ideas of directions I might pursue are encouraged!

Don In Guntersville, Al.

captiva240

Active Expediter

Hi Scott, reference the word 'rotate' on take off: it's actually an FAA 'jargon' that is used to calculate take off distance. It's the point in the take off that one rotates the pitch of the aircraft to the takeoff attitude. Now, why they originally called it rotate....don't have a clue.