Newbie Insurance

ChadE7320

Seasoned Expediter
Hey everyone, great forum. Looking to get some info on insurance, I am starting a auto transportation business. But I am having a hard time finding anywhere to quote me without any experience on my CDL. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I can contact to get some quotes for a new guy with no experience in this field. Thanks alot!

Also any insight into the auto transport business would be great too.

Another FYI I will be using a dually and 3 car wedge or 4 car step.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hi, & welcome! As a starting point, you can check the website for OOIDA [owner operator & independent drivers association] If you find a deal and want to join OOIDA to take advantage of it, you can use any current member's number for a discounted rate. Good luck!

ChadE7320

Seasoned Expediter
I have tried them, I talked to a lady yesterday but she said she would not be able to assist me due to not having more than 2 years on my cdl. She gave me about 4 insurance brokers to call I have called 2 so far and its been the same story. Except for one who said he would do it for 35k a year.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
try progressive, their going to only give you a 500 mile radius with 4 times a year stepping outside that radius.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Do you mean you don't have 3 years of commercial driving experience?
If so, you could fork out the money for a driving school course. I believe insurance will count that as a substitute for 3 years experience.
This is one of those things where you really need to do your due diligence before jumping in blindly with a great idea.

ChadE7320

Seasoned Expediter
I have talked to them and they would do the 500 mile radious deal. But I'm just scared that is going to limit me to much for what I'm wanting to do.I feel like I would need at least 1k mile radious to be competitive. And not limit my income. Any input on that would be great as I've never done this those are just simpily assumptions.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
I have talked to them and they would do the 500 mile radious deal. But I'm just scared that is going to limit me to much for what I'm wanting to do.I feel like I would need at least 1k mile radious to be competitive. And not limit my income. Any input on that would be great as I've never done this those are just simpily assumptions.

what state are you in? I may have someone that can help you

ChadE7320

Seasoned Expediter
I know all about paying dues haha, I was an airline pilot before being laied off, kinda the same deal didn't just jump in the seat of a big airliner right after getting my licenses, but didn't really think about it being the same way in this industry just wanting to run small trucks. But more I learn more it makes sense.

I am in north carolina, would love it if you could shed some light my way.

Also if anybody has any other good sites on car hauliung with more info that would be great to.

Thanks again, this site is proving to be a great resource

miker

Seasoned Expediter
I am in north carolina, would love it if you could shed some light my way.

your in luck, I think that he is licensed in NC cal 803-996-0441
his name is Bret or Brent I don't know, I just mumble it and they seem to get the right guy. if that's not it give me til bout 8:30 EST
and I can get the right one, I know the first six are right

ChadE7320

Seasoned Expediter
Tony Taylor insurance gave me a very affordable insurance quote today for no 500 mile radius. But I have done research and found that I really wont need to g outside 500 miles to do what I want anyways. So things are looking up now on the insurance

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
All you need is a friend to answer the call should the insurance company call to verify experience. I told them I had 2 years and gave them a friends name as a former employer. They never even verified it. But I had driven straight trucks for years on old job. But never had to have a cdl till I started expediting in a 33000 GVWR truck. There are ways to work around it.

Of course, everybody else goes strictly by the book here. Ha!