Newbie here, I would like to OTR expidite in a cargo van, work for FedEX directly?

double6

Active Expediter
Hello everyone, I am planning on getting my CDL C to drive a cargo van and/or Sprinter. I am based in the Chicago area. Would it be best for me to goto the FedEX Custom Critical website and apply there? Should I start out after I get my CDL C to simply work for FedEX? Or would I have to work through a Owner / Operator if I apply to FedEX. I have clean MVR with a regular passenger license..etc
I have driven across country for a car mover, drove the actual company cars across country for another company a few jobs back. I liked being out on the open road. As far as being on the road, I have no attachments so I can be out for as long as needed. Any suggestions and or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Re: Newbie here, I would like to OTR expidite in a cargo van, work for FedEX directly

Welcome.

I can't tell you much about the van/sprinter side, I drive a straight truck.

You will not be "going to work for Fed Ex" or any carrier in here. You will be an independent contractor. You will be getting a 1099 vs. a W2. You will not be an employee.

I only say all of the above so you can have the right attitude coming into this business. If you think like an employee you are likely to fail. You will be running a small business. Good record keeping is a must.

It can be a good way to earn a living. You can also fail in a heartbeat.

Good luck, take your time, don't rush into this. I am sure some of the van/sprinter people can help you more on that side of things.

double6

Active Expediter
Re: Newbie here, I would like to OTR expidite in a cargo van, work for FedEX directly

Thanks Layout for laying it out for me in a way. I will do more research. I already got the ball rolling for applying for my HAZMAT test etc. Now just to do the rest of the stuff for the license.

TropixBum

Active Expediter

I was a little confused with this post..... A class "C" cdl. It made me go look this up. I was thinking you didn't need a cdl for a van job. (The under 10.001 rule.) Then I seen the hazmat part. Now it makes sense. As the young kids would say. "I have been schooled." ;-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Can you get a hazmat with a class c?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Jenny

Veteran Expediter

Yes. I know in Michigan to get a Class c cdl you have to have an endorsement, which is either passenger or hazmat.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

double6

Active Expediter

Yes. I know in Michigan to get a Class c cdl you have to have an endorsement, which is either passenger or hazmat.

Same thing in Illinois, I am going for a C class with Hazmat endorsement. First have to get my prints taken, and background done. Then I hear they mail me a letter saying that I can go ahead with the test (written and course). I heard a background takes 30 days.

I have the CDL booklet in front of me, and am starting to review the sections I need to know.

Last edited:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter

Same thing in Illinois, I am going for a C class with Hazmat endorsement. First have to get my prints taken, and background done. Then I hear they mail me a letter saying that I can go ahead with the test (written and course). I heard a background takes 30 days.

I have the CDL booklet in front of me, and am starting to review the sections I need to know.

In MI you have to get a permit and then take a driving test. You can get your permit and do the test while waiting for your background check to come back. Then you can call the 800 number provided and check your status vs waiting for a letter. Ours showed up almost 3 weeks after approval. Also, the background check time varies. Mine took a week, once they refingerprinted me 3 times.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

double6

Active Expediter

Thanks Jenny, very helpful info! Thanks much!

wguesser

Active Expediter

I too am going to work for a fleet owner @ FDCC he is from the joliet area. I start on mon 5/6. if you apply to fedc they will put your name on a list for other fleet owners to see they will call you when needed.