New Year in Load One January 2018

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Same for the truck wash bay. Lol.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Speaking of the wash bay. Finally able to give the van a good wash yesterday. Removing the last remnants of that liquid melt stuff I picked up back in Chicago. I was not pleased to see what the morning brought at the yard.

And to top it off, a trip back to Belvidere Illinois.

Yup, the van is all coated again

7abb19e38c1fdfee2c94b30978afd933.jpg

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: ntimevan and Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's really annoying having a starting battery with a bad (shorted internal) cell and you know more about the batteries than the person doing the testing and making the warranty replacement decision.

Battery is fully charged and tested fine. A battery with a bad cell will do that. But let it sit a few hours and it's dead. It's more rare with AGM batteries (although those crappy Optima spiral AGMs it's pretty common), but it happens. Had this starting battery only 16 months. The last couple of weeks it's been balking at starting the van. It's like, "I dunno. Well, OK, grumble, grumble, grumble, I'll start it." But the last 3 days, nope. Had to jump it.

"Oh, your alternator isn't charging the battery."

"Oh, but it is. It's fully charged. See? It didn't get fully charged by itself."

<tests the alternator>

"Alternator is fine. Must be the starter."

"It starts fine with a fully charged battery. See? Probably not the starter."

"Well it can't be the battery because the battery tests OK. You have a parasitic drain."

<connected a clamp amp meter, no parasitic drain - like I hadn't done that already>

So, I disconnect the battery from the negative cable, eliminating the vehicle from the equation, let it sit all night, and it's dead.

So, I go to a AAA place that specializes in batteries and they put it on their super duper battery diagnostic tool. Cell 3 is bad.

Go back to the Zone. Told ya. And they replace the battery.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's really annoying having a starting battery with a bad (shorted internal) cell and you know more about the batteries than the person doing the testing and making the warranty replacement decision.

Battery is fully charged and tested fine. A battery with a bad cell will do that. But let it sit a few hours and it's dead. It's more rare with AGM batteries (although those crappy Optima spiral AGMs it's pretty common), but it happens. Had this starting battery only 16 months. The last couple of weeks it's been balking at starting the van. It's like, "I dunno. Well, OK, grumble, grumble, grumble, I'll start it." But the last 3 days, nope. Had to jump it.

"Oh, your alternator isn't charging the battery."

"Oh, but it is. It's fully charged. See? It didn't get fully charged by itself."

<tests the alternator>

"Alternator is fine. Must be the starter."

"It starts fine with a fully charged battery. See? Probably not the starter."

"Well it can't be the battery because the battery tests OK. You have a parasitic drain."

<connected a clamp amp meter, no parasitic drain - like I hadn't done that already>

So, I disconnect the battery from the negative cable, eliminating the vehicle from the equation, let it sit all night, and it's dead.

So, I go to a AAA place that specializes in batteries and they put it on their super duper battery diagnostic tool. Cell 3 is bad.

Go back to the Zone. Told ya. And they replace the battery.
I usually get the "battery is fine" response when I take it to Walmart under warranty. Even though I know it isn't "fine". I will just buy a new one in this case. Walmart surprised me last time saying the battery needed replacing (for free). I like when that happens

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app