New Welder Mahany Welding Supply Rochester N.Y.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I finally got the chance to buy a welder this week.. Actually its been on layaway since the first week of Feb.
I decided to finally buy one as I need to do some work on the box as the rust is having its way and depending on the condition of the framing I might just 86 the box and build it into a flatbed. I guess the only question here, is there a demand for ST flatbeds in expediting?

Anyway I invested some dough into a Miller 211 GMAW welder nice unit and I got really good service when I was killing time waiting for a local pickup to run to JFK and was window shopping welders. So the sales guy asked me a few questions and recommended the 211 marked down as it was used for show and tell for a welding class. Sure, its a little more than I will need but not overkill. Anyway the 1,200.00 plus safety gear was a decent deal all in package welder, gas, regulator, wire and a spool gun for aluminum.
What really impressed me was the sales guy took the time to ask questions, and answer even the newbie questions, and did not push the buy now and the upsell B.S. Sure he made recommendations nicer gear down the road, but especially when he remembered I mentioned I have an allergy to latex while looking at safety gear a couple weeks ago and wanted to know what the respirator face piece was made of. He remembered that fact when looking at welding hoods and caps. Hell, half the time I cant remember where I left my cell phone, so that impressed me. In addition they offered me free layaway as Im not a huge fan of credit.

Give them a call.
Address: 115 Fedex Way, Rochester, NY 14624
Phone:(585) 352-8000
Im looking forward to doing some welding this weekend with my son.

Bob Wolf

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
You'll need to protect those welds with some paint. Upstate Auto Body Supply is less than a mile from the Rochester Public Market. Go in and ask for J.D. He's the one that looks somewhat like me. Mom said I was better looking, though.

Seriously, he'll probably make you a heckuva deal on some chassis saver paint.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The Miller 211 is no slouch. Good deal. I have three Miller welders. Two are in their Autoarc line, a less expensive alternative. I bought those used. I would have saved up and gotten something higher end, but both were screaming deals.

My first, a 110v 130xp, was bought when I was 16, 21 years ago. This was when mig welders dropped below the thousand dollar mark. The guys at Arcet (now ARC3 gases) were impressed that a 16 year old was prepared to buy a thousand dollar welder, so they threw in a cart, shield, bottle of gas,a couple spools of wire, and some wire brushes. Total price was $980, which left me $20 of gas to get me home.

That 130xp has paid for itself 10 times.

I left the ground clamp hooked to a metal table and a lightning storm came through that night. The wire feed didnt work the next day. Transient currents had knocked out thr circuit board. I took it to a place that charged $250 for troubleshooting,the replacement board and indtallation. Not bad. Unhook everything and wind up the leads when you're done.

Also disconnect your battery cables or use a welding surge protector on any vehicle with computers, or you risk frying something very expensive.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the feedback.

Good tip usafk9 Born and raised in Rochester I know all too well the rust monster. I have a bullet proof industrial primer and paint system I get from Sherwin Williams, add chassis saver and it should last a long time.
Are you from around Rochester? If so give feel free to me a call. I'm sure I bought from them as well as Arritarri, I like working with local and mom and pop stores because you usually get real service.

I mentioned most likely the heaviest I would welding is 1/4 inch, its rated 3/8 single pass, I know a guy that welds and he said it will easily weld 1/2 as long as the metal is reasonably warm like + 70 deg F.
Yeah I got a good deal, welder, 125 c/f 70/30 gas, aluminum spool gun, 10 lb mig steel wire, and since it was used for an in house show and tell day a new welder warrantee.
I figured that I have a1500 bucks worth of welder for 1200.
Ill find out if they will ship if anyone is interested.

I did get the 100.00 dollar auto dark miller helmet and a fixed shade for my son, he wants to build a gocart is not sure if he will like it.
If he does I have a good excuse for an upgrade

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Yes, originally. You and your boy sat at the table in our sleeper in my sister's driveway in Holley.

And yes on the Mom & Pop. That place has been around since they were selling lead for body filler. They sell lead now to Crosman Arms in Fairport (Pellet guns). Quite the place. Brother has been there around 30 years.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Yep good welder for the money! Sounds like you got a good deal.
Just like any weld process on thicker materials use multiple passes and maintain your interpass temperature.
Have fun!

Stay safe
KG

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Don't wear tennis shoes. You can't run when it's already burned into the meat.

hlxfcPW.jpg