New to this

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whats up, I'm Pete, I am new to this. Got sick and tired of painting & construction.

About a month ago I grabbed a new 2014 Ram Promaster and signed up with a local company K&L as O/O.

So far so good, my first month of driving, 99% OTR and I put up 5512 loaded miles.

Cheers.

Any and all advice is highly appreciated..

I am still trying to figure out how can I find myself loads for the way back...as I've been always dead heading back to chicago..

Although besides putting miles on your car, dead heading isn't so bad, under certain circumstances;

1. Your well paid for the loaded miles, so dead heading isn't affecting you as much.
2. Your dead heading back into freight zone, where your more likely to get a load, instead of sitting somewhere for weeks.

Althogh dead heading from Seattle to Chicago hurts...

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome enjoy your new vehicle. There is a promaster thread somewhere on here. Any honest feedback you can give on the van can help others.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
I DH back to Chicago but it's when I must and a cpl hours out. Did you really DH from Seattle? You may need a larger carrier to stay afloat or cut way down on DH. Why do you have to DH home?

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
Congradulations, it takes guts to go out on own. I used to wire houses and HVAC controls and did DirecTv, had to give it up due to knee hating ladders.

Wish you all the best and save travels.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome enjoy your new vehicle. There is a promaster thread somewhere on here. Any honest feedback you can give on the van can help others.

Thanks! I will try and look for that thread, I'd like to discuss few things about these cars, and share my opinion.

One thing I really like so far, 2nd time in a row they call me a day earlier saying the check is ready and I can swing by and grab it.

Gotta love living 10 minutes away from the companies wearhouse and dispatch.

Na Zdrowie!!! :cool:

I DH back to Chicago but it's when I must and a cpl hours out. Did you really DH from Seattle? You may need a larger carrier to stay afloat or cut way down on DH. Why do you have to DH home?

I DH home because there are no loads, so I get home and 99% I have something waiting if I get back late then the next day.

They said that they had me on syllectus when I was out in seattle the whole time, but nothing came up. I was hoping maybe Id grab something, somewhere along the way. So I drove to SD instead of ND this time, but no luck.

It is possibly, that I should look into bigger carrier, like bolt and those I read about on here. As I'd like to be on the road for 2 weeks at a time or more. then 1 week off, but I would have to be out for 2 weeks out of which 6 days I've spend waiting for a load.

If you don't mind me asking who do you run for?

Not if you stick with your original plans of #1and#2.

True! I never drive for less than $1.00 per loaded mile. Which still isn't that great.

:cool:

I figured since, I'm new to this I might as well stick with this for a little while and get some experience...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Getting experience is a great idea. Honestly at a dollar a loaded mile and dead heading home your probably at best breaking even. Your vehicle won't always be new and the wear and tear at 50 cents a mile is a trip to the poor house. Now if you vastly reduce your dh and still keep the dollar bottom line your getting somewhere.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think during the slow season, DH could be an advantage. Certainly during the busy season, there shouldn't be a need for DH.

Looking at the final numbers at the end of the year, based on my assumptions, certain percentages of DH does shows an advantage. I included DH as part of my business plan.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
They said that they had me on syllectus when I was out in seattle the whole time, but nothing came up. I was hoping maybe Id grab something, somewhere along the way. So I drove to SD instead of ND this time, but no luck.

Maybe you should have hung around awhile and give them a chance to find you something. If you don't get a load from there, before you DH out, give them a call and ask for advice as to where they see freight. Communication is key in Expediting.

Last edited:

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Getting experience is a great idea. Honestly at a dollar a loaded mile and dead heading home your probably at best breaking even. Your vehicle won't always be new and the wear and tear at 50 cents a mile is a trip to the poor house. Now if you vastly reduce your dh and still keep the dollar bottom line your getting somewhere.

Now that is going to be my goal..to vastly reduce the DH, even if I'm hauling something half way home, it will make a difference...

Thankfully my car is really good on gas..I have been getting no less than 19.5 mpg and no greater than 22.5mpg

I spend 800$ on gas + food on a chicago - seattle - chicago.

Maybe you should have hung around awhile and give them a chance to find you something. If you don't get a load from there, before you DH out, give them a call and ask for advice as to where they see freight. Communication is key in Expediting.

I stuck around for 2 days. Also I did communicate with the dispatch as to what route I am gonna be taking back and too look for something somewhere along that route.

Although next time I will try moving to a different location, and sticking around for a few days.

If you peeps have list of locations with a lot of freight...aka location that will get a you a load, you should post it here somewhere, or at least pm me :)

Thanks

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
First thing you need to decide is whether you want to continue to expedite as a hobby, or if you want to change how you are doing things and do it professionally. You are running, after all, your own independent business. Fifty percent deadhead means you're working twice as hard as you should, and earning half as much money as you should. That's a hobby. Unless, of course, all of your loads are paying $2 a mile.

The second thing you need to do is realize you are in the trucking industry and you don't drive a car. It's a cargo van, so as to delineate it from a large truck, but all property carrying vehicles are trucks, by definition. You are a trucker, regardless of the vehicle you drive.

Third, figure out your Cost Per Mile (CPM). Your CPM is way more than what fuel costs. It's fuel, insurance, van payments, tires, maintenance, repair, meals, tolls, etc. Don't forget that, generally speaking, you're putting five years worth of mileage and wear and tear on your truck every year, and you'll have to do five years worth of maintenance every year. You need to know what those costs are, and plan for them. Otherwise, when it comes time to pay for them, you're screwed. OOIDA has a good spreadsheet that will help you figure out your CPM.

Also keep in mind the Rule of Thirds. Out of your gross revenue, one third goes to for operating expenses, like fuel, oil, tolls, whatever it takes to operate your business. One third goes to the truck, like maintenance and repair, truck payments, truck washes, etc. Finally, one third goes to the driver. If you run for a dollar a mile with 50 percent deadhead, then you're getting 10 MPG and your operating expenses third is way out of whack. That doesn't leave much at all for you or maintenance and repair.

One immutable truth in this business is that excessive deadhead will kill your business. And by excessive, I mean more than 30 percent unpaid miles out of your total miles driven on the odometer. 15-20 percent is better, with 10-15 being ideal. In a cargo van, at the absolute minimum, your effective rate for all-miles should be 70 cents per mile. Mine is better than 95 cents a mile all miles.

Using your numbers above, at 5512 loaded miles, the odometer readings over that same time period should be no more than 6890 and your gross revenue should be in the $5500 range. At this point you should have put in about 350 gallons of fuel at a cost of $1100 (20% of revenue). If all of your numbers don't match up closely with these numbers, there's a problem that needs to be addressed.

You don't want to take a load to a place from which you cannot get loaded back out, unless the load pays enough up front to cover the cost of deadheading back out.

As you describe it, what you are doing is following the tried and true method of guaranteed failure in this business. We see it all the time. There's a reason that a small percentage of people who get into expediting are still in it a year later. After that, those who are following the tried and true really start dropping like flies, because they can't afford wheel bearings or brakes or an alternator, not to mention a new rear end or a transmission. Proper planning and education about this business is the way to succeed. I do wish you the best. But it sure seems like one of your priorities needs to be to get with a carrier that can get you loads wherever you go, and then you go where the freight takes you.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Now that is going to be my goal..to vastly reduce the DH, even if I'm hauling something half way home, it will make a difference...

Thankfully my car is really good on gas..I have been getting no less than 19.5 mpg and no greater than 22.5mpg

I spend 800$ on gas + food on a chicago - seattle - chicago.

I stuck around for 2 days. Also I did communicate with the dispatch as to what route I am gonna be taking back and too look for something somewhere along that route.

Although next time I will try moving to a different location, and sticking around for a few days.

If you peeps have list of locations with a lot of freight...aka location that will get a you a load, you should post it here somewhere, or at least pm me :)

Thanks

Sometimes you have to say no to a run like Seattle. Some Expediters won't go west of the Mississippi. The east coast is the main corridor. What Turtle said is good advice,he is experienced,and knows the ropes well.