New to this board

gflight

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Hi, just looking to find new ways to save money on the road. I drove for a small co. for 6 mo. before I decided to start running my own trucks for this same co. Have done well so far, I am now up to owning 3 trucks. I started in MAR. of 2011. any ideas? I have some, but it can't hurt to learn more. thanks

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Your gonna need to be quite a bit more specific as to what kind of trucks your running, the types of runs your doing, and what kinds of savings your looking for.

Operating a truck is fairly simple. You need a good dependable truck. Once you have that, the Lion's share of potential savings is going to be in the fuel mileage. If the truck is good and the mpg is good, its all pretty much about miles and revenue per mile after that. (In my opinion anyway).

So..... what ya got? What ya doin with it?

If it's profitable....wanna share ? :D

gflight

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Yes I am, All my trucks are 16' penske. I'm looking for tips like, eating cheeply. I cook all my food on down time in an elec. skillet, and crock pot. Some times I use coleman plug in cooler, other times I use ice to keep a small amount of food cool. Sometimes I stay in walmaet parking lots; truck stops, and on weekends, sometimes I stay in KOA campgrounds. tips like that. Not trying to be too cheep, but every penny counts.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Yes I am, All my trucks are 16' penske. I'm looking for tips like, eating cheeply. I cook all my food on down time in an elec. skillet, and crock pot. Some times I use coleman plug in cooler, other times I use ice to keep a small amount of food cool. Sometimes I stay in walmaet parking lots; truck stops, and on weekends, sometimes I stay in KOA campgrounds. tips like that. Not trying to be too cheep, but every penny counts.

Those are the best ways. We did chili in crockpot because for about $10 you can eat for a week. If you are idling constantly try to reduce that if you are paying for the fuel.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Gflight: a rice cooker would replace both crockpot and electric skillet, saving space [critical!] and increasing cooking options, too.
They come with removeable Teflon lined pot that gets hot enough to brown meat or grill a sandwich [or french toast], an insert basket that works for steaming veggies and draining liquids, and can cook everything you want [spaghetti & sauce, soup/stew/casserole], long as it doesn't need to bake.
I've made everything [except rice, lol] in mine for a year, and I cook things like chicken & dumplings, ham & scalloped [or au gratin] potatoes, spaghetti with Italian sausage....
Cleanup is easy: heat water in pot, add few drops dish soap, swish & rinse.
Only drawback is, after you start cooking in it, you'll want a fridge to keep the leftovers, lol.:)