New to this, am I missing something?

split

New Recruit
If I want to avoid dot hour regulations I understand that I have to stay at 10k gvwr or below.

That limits me to a sprinter van or a portion of class 2 trucks. Class 2 box trucks seem to max out at 4 skid carrying capacity (and for even that I have to find a 9ft wide box.

Other than perhaps refrigeration, what advantages would box trucks have at this gvwr level?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Other than perhaps refrigeration, what advantages would box trucks have at this gvwr level?
For expediting, almost none. In a box truck you get really crappy fuel mileage, like half what a Sprinter or similar van gets. You can get that 4th skid in there, but you're still limited by the weight of the cargo. If you have a Class 2b truck, which has a GVWR of 8,501 to 10,000 pounds (Class 2a trucks are 6,001 to 8,500 pounds), and you're ever overweight by just one pound, you're a CMV and you have to log and scale and have a medical card. DOT officers salivate when they see box trucks that are riding low, that look like they're overweight, especially the dually wheel trucks. In interstate commerce (and intrastate in some states),a vehicle is a CMV (Commercial Motor Vehicle) based on what it actually weighs or on what its weight rating is, whichever is greater. The fines for driving an unregulated vehicle as a CMV (as in, an under-10,000 pound vehicle that weighs more than 10,000 pounds) are astonishing. If you get caught and don't have an accurate log book (either physical or electronic) for the previous 7 days, it's $1,000 a day (so, $7,000). If you have no record at all of your hours of service, because you normally don't log, that's considered an egregious hours of service violation, the price tag for that is $16,000. And that doesn't include driving a CMV with no medical card, or the state and local fines you are likely subject to. Soooo, something to keep in mind.

split

New Recruit
Thanks for the reply. I thought about about going up a class or 2 and living with the hours restrictions. But then I'm too expensive to compete on small loads and limiting myself severely because I'm solo. Anything bigger than that i shouldn't be driving. Guess it's time to decide between a van or going to cdl school and learning. Thanks for the clarity.