New to expediting (old to 18 wheeling)

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nah, I just walk up to the order board, and make hot rod sounds, then walk around to pay and get my order :D

Seriously, though, I never use a drive up, when I'm in a car. Always park and walk in. Less chance of order mix up, and get a bit of exercise.

you don't have that option late at night when the dining room is closed

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
JimF51 wrote:

Haven't seen Turtle's, or many others, for that matter, but doubt they are gonna have 8' x 8' living space in them

Yeap, no 8ft by 8 ft..bur when sitting waiting for a load (empty, no fright in the truck) taking into consideration that the pass seat is out of my truck, I do have 8 ft by 6 ft FINISHED personal area, with a 1.7 cu ft frig, micro wave, 22" tv, twin size bed, insulated and carpeted area for my self...it i really want to take it to the ma, i have a 16x6x6.5 usable area to move around in....no wall in the back of the peronal area opens it all up....

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Yeap, no 8ft by 8 ft..bur when sitting waiting for a load (empty, no fright in the truck) taking into consideration that the pass seat is out of my truck, I do have 8 ft by 6 ft FINISHED personal area, with a 1.7 cu ft frig, micro wave, 22" tv, twin size bed, insulated and carpeted area for my self...it i really want to take it to the ma, i have a 16x6x6.5 usable area to move around in....no wall in the back of the peronal area opens it all up....

Cool. That would be a good amount of space. But you said when empty. How much space when loaded?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
JimF51 wrote:

But you said when empty. How much space when loaded?

That depends on the load...with either 1 or 2 skids, i still have the full 8x6 finished personal area....with 3 shids or freight that will take up to 12 ft of cargo area, i only hase the area that the frig, micro wave and 2 ft to sleep in....but keep in mind that most van freight is straight thru freight, even if a time is built in for a nap, I still have room for that...then if I get a load that takess up the total cargo area and is run over a 2-3 day (long run over a weekend)...thats where i simply get a room and that is paid for in the rate charged to move the freight....

Now, this is just how my Cargo Max is setup, Turtles van and others have permenant "bunk areas that while limiting them to 2 skids or maybe 10 ft of cargo area, their personal area is always available to them no matter what...and again those areas will most often included a twin size bed, frig, micro wave, TV/dvd player, ac/heat in a insulated finished personal area totally seperate from the cargo area.

The whole point is that if a CV/Sprinter is setup right with a thought out plan and proper use of the space, they can be set up to be as comfortable as anything else out there...

And then we also have the point that a CV/Sprint has more mobility to go places that a ST/TT can't simply because of size...but then CV's/sprinters are not dock high so that is 1 limiting factor for them...they can't haul the big loads that ST's can obvisously...so yea there are trade offs in each, but for the most part, comfort often is not one of them....if the O/O/driver really wants that level of comfort, it can be done....