new to expediter

machinerynic

Active Expediter
Hello, I am switching from tractor trailer to expediter. This is new to me so I have some questions if any one can help. I would like to know what is the max gross weight for a 2 axle and 3 axle expediter. Also these lift axles are new as well, so what is the max weight they can have on them. Thanks to all out there in advance.

Be Safe

Nick

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
alot of 2 axel have a gvw of 33,000 twin screw-22 ft box-I had a gvw- 54,999. lift axels-you have to check into-there are different types-alot of factors to weigh in-talk to the dealers who carry the axles on their specs. welcome to this world

JLew90

Active Expediter
Watch out with some medium duty trucks i just hauled a whole 8100lbs and wv turnpike was horrible when it came to climbing... Down hills are fun also because med-duty truck usulally dont have engine retarders so flying is a big option if really heavy

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Watch out with some medium duty trucks i just hauled a whole 8100lbs and wv turnpike was horrible when it came to climbing... Down hills are fun also because med-duty truck usulally dont have engine retarders so flying is a big option if really heavy

Then you had more than 8100 lbs on that truck Jon. The truck your in will pull a hill really good with 11,000 lbs as Dave C. and Ken C. both told me that.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Then you had more than 8100 lbs on that truck Jon. The truck your in will pull a hill really good with 11,000 lbs as Dave C. and Ken C. both told me that.

you know it depends where the load was placed, right? If it's all toward the back, it can be like a pisant trying to pull an elephant.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Well, I have to qualify it. It's true in a big truck. I assumed it was the same in a straight truck, though I suppose it might not be.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Well, I'll agree with Amonger. I was taught that the more evenly the load weight was spread over the trailer, drive and steer tires, the less rolling resistance, giving you better fuel milage with load. I do the same in the ST, I doubt it's different.

As for the downhill, without a jake brake, that's when you use lower gears and go slow. Even when load isn't heavy enough to use tag axle, I'll drop it on steep downgrade, a extra set of brakes helps, as well.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
you know it depends where the load was placed, right? If it's all toward the back, it can be like a pisant trying to pull an elephant.

Well, I have never driven a T/T over the road so I can't say about them. Your statement was just extreme referring to a straight truck with an off balance load being like an ant pulling an elephant. True, it may affect tire wear, but I refuse to believe it would affect your pulling power that much. The mountains in W. Va will challenge any load you have.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our three-axle truck has a manufacturer's GVWR of 54,600 lbs. and 48,600 lbs. under the FWHA bridge formula. It is registered for 47,000 lbs. The curb weight (all equipment on board, fuel and water tanks full, no freight) is about 34,000 lbs., leaving a theoretical payload of 13,000 lbs.

The 54,600 lbs. number comes from 20,000 on each rear axle and 14,600 lbs. on the front axle. The 14,600 lbs. front axle was specified when the truck was built.

As you are finding out, straight truck weight and axle specs vary widely among trucks. When straight truck owners get into trouble with these specs, it is most often when too much weight falls on the front axle, such that legal front axle limits are exceeded. On poorly spec'ed trucks this can happen even when the truck is empty.

Pay attention to the placement of your rear axle(s) and lift axle if you get one. A single rear axle can carry 20,000 lbs. under the bridge formula. Tandem axles ("twin screws") can carry 34,000 (17,000 each). The closer the rear axle is to the front of the truck, the less weight the front axle will bear.

Lift axles come as pusher axles (positioned in front of the drive axle) and tax axles (positioned behind the drive axle). They are more effective when placed in front of the drive axle.

As jjoerger said, the bridge formula is important. It is explained on this web site and very well explained in the front of the Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas.

As you think through your straight truck options and trade-offs, you may find information about our truck specs helpful. I posted this not to suggest that anyone should buy or build a truck like ours but to help people think the issues through.

Last edited: