New Pete 335

Preacher

Expert Expediter
I just had a new 335 pull-up behind me in my car yesterday at the light in front of the Flying Hook. It's the first one I've seen. I looked in my rear view mirror and all I could see was that good looking grill and headlights. Has anybody seen one made into an expediter yet? They would look really slick with a nice size sleeper and a box on back.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Looks pretty cool! After going to the Pete website, I was thinking maybe someone should take the garbage packer body and go expediting? When you got out of the truck you would'nt fall as far! Big trucks, and bigger hoods ROCK!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
RE: New Pete 335 (and the new Coronado!)

Hmm.. OK.. you know I had to go look..since I love 'purty paint and chrome'!!

Here's one with the big sleeper.... and then the one from the Peterbilt site.. I think one in that blue would be sweet! Still, as far as looks.. I still like the 'hot rod nostalgic' look, (at least that's what it looks like to me...) of that Coronado Straight truck Freightliner keeps teasin (the 3rd pic)! To me, that Coronado truck just screams that it's the truck version of a Classic 32 Ford Hot Rod.. LOL...

Dreamer

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

On that top pix, who would build that 335 up that much and ruin it with a set of steel wheels? UGH!x( How long before that big satellite casing gets picked off by something? That Coronado says one thing to me.. Texas!
-Weave-

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

I'd have to agree Weave.. seems like after all that expense, they would have put polished aluminum wheels.

Dreamer

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In the Peterbilt line, I'm partial to the 387 myself. Saw one on the road the other day in an expediter configuration. Here's the photo.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
Jay Mott down here in Orlando was experimenting with building expediter trucks out of Pete 387's, but has pretty much given it up. He had difficulty getting Peterbilt to build extended chassis for him, then when they agreed to that they raised the price significantly. They didn't want to make any with single rear axles, and he was concerned that the price they wanted for the tandems was pushing the price of the truck way too high. Then the changes that he had to make to modify the chassis to handle the box were fairly intensive, also running up the cost. Last time I talked to him he was switching back to Freightliners for new builds.

Now, having said that, we checked out one of the Petes he built, and it was the first time my wife said "WOW!" in a factory cab/sleeper. It was great, for sure, but the price was climbing way out of reach for us as newbies.

Doug

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well here is mine. I'm quite satisfied up to now, but had to de-bug a few things. Pete Low-Air Leaf suspension has been set even lower, and I had to put 1.5" riser under front springs to prevent battery box step on Driver side from scraping deep pothole. Engine ISC 315, 4.1 rear end & 8LL .74 final. Geared to cruise at 1685 @ 65 mph. Sleeper is used from S & J Fort Wayne on stock Pete air susp. Would have got an Ultra Shift 10, but un-willing to be the first on the block to have one. :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
aluminum wheels ......and paint it red.
Dreamer....where are you?
Davekc

Preacher

Expert Expediter
The 387's set up with owner operator specs are sweet! Saw a black 387 parked here in Tulsa with a bunch of polished aluminum (tanks, wheels, etc.), a polished aluminum headache rack with locker doors, and a new 48x102 Renegade all polished aluminum flatbed trailer with a 10'2" spread axle, polished aluminum wheels and polished aluminum tool boxes between the wheels. WOW!! It almost made me want to do flatbed OTR! It was a real head turner.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Simon: Can you re-post your picture? Your truck appears to be in a white-out on that link:eek:

Thanks,
-Weave-

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
RE: New Pete 335..Hey Dave!

>aluminum wheels ......and paint it red.
>Dreamer....where are you?
>Davekc

What? Somebody call for an amateur hacksaw artist? :+ :+ :+ LOL..

This what ya had in mind Dave? This might make ya forget about those Sterlings.. and I think it would win ya a couple more trophies!

I reversed one too..... I thought the stack looked better on the left side...hmm..wonder if you can order a 335 with duals ...

Dreamer

Preacher

Expert Expediter

Nice build-out Dreamer. How much down and how much a month? Do you take trades? LOL!

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
HI Weave- seems your site will not accept jpeg off a floppy or my C drive. Sorry that is all I have right now. Have not yet purchased a digital cam and negs I had to turn into digital were destroyed by Brittany. Again, truck is 310" WB, 63" Unibilt sleeper, and 24' box.
Cab and sleeper are what Pete calls "Evergreen Frost" effect (mettalic.) All set for lift axle Watson-Chalin 8100 & 17.5 rubber- if by next July things seem to be economically feasible.
P.S. Anyone interested in a 8 mo. old Brittany? will be a great bird dog for Ruffed Grouse, pheasant- 30 lbs, liver & white, bargain at $500.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Simon,

If you can send it to me in an email as an attachement, I should be able to change the format and repost it for you. Just click on the email icon under my nic to send me an email.

Dreamer

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Now that looks pretty cool.
Great work
Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Bentz had a few in process when I was in there for ProHeat install. If I were looking at a class 7 next time it would be on the short list. They also had a couple of Columbias that were looking really good as well. I still like the Western Star best though and especially the LowMax model. I think that would make an incredibly fine expediting unit.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.