new or used?

keithw

Expert Expediter
as a newbie to expediting,what would you recommend buying new,or save the cash and buy a truck thats a couple of years old.And if you go with a used truck,what kind of mileage should i expect or to be blunt,stay away from

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Excellent question.

I think I would prefer a new unit over a used one. You will inherit possible problems with a used unit.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
On the keyboard of life, always keep
one finger on the escape key.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/fastcomputer.gif
-----------------------------------------

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Keithw, I'll answer in the opposite direction.

When we started expediting, we had little money and no experience with straight trucks unless they had 18 wheels. We needed to get in on the cheap (plus we didn't know if this idea was workable), but more important, we had no idea how a truck should be setup, so we bought one that already was successful. We have no regrets about buying that used truck, and we learned a lot in the process.

Our second truck was also a used truck as we continued learning and preserved our cash, as the industry was in a flux at the time. Now we are looking for a third truck, with the industry in a flux again and 7 years under our belts. Yep, we're looking used again.

Vernon

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if it's a used truck and you are able to look at or see maintance
records and see what was done to the truck would have no problem
with the that, but if you can't get the maintance records for
used truck i would not look at that truck
and go with a new truck truck
also depend on who had the truck and did they keep up the maintanice
on the truck

G

Depending on what type of truck your looking for, you might find one on Ryder's website :
http://www.usedtrucks.ryder.com/cgi-bin/rydervs/english/index.jsp

They have a very good reputation in this area for having good quality used trucks for sale. They supposedly have a very good maint. program. I have been told that when you purchase a truck, they allow you to thouroughly inspect it and they will fix/replace anything you find in need of repair (at no cost to you) before delivery of the truck.

I've never been there, but they do have a very good reputation in this area. We would either be going to the Memphis or Dallas lots.
Also, from what I have seen they mainly have OTR tractors. They do have other types, not sure if I've ever seen an actual expedite truck on there or not. Might be worth a try though.

Just a thought :)

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
I have never seen an expediter truck on a Ryder lot either but they seem to be a good place to buy a decent used truck. In addition to what Arky said about fixing *everything* you find wrong they will also show you the truck's maintenance history. Lastly, if you are serious about buying a truck they will bring it to your closest Ryder used truck store at no cost to you.

I have a Ryder used lot 10 minutes from me and have been there looking at straight trucks and B's. Like with any used truck be careful and look it over carefully.

As also pointed out buying a used truck can be a good thing or a nightmare just around the corner. I owned a towing/auto transport company for 10 years and have had great success buying decent used trucks because I took the time to be selective and check the rig over. I have also been burned on POS used trucks too. If at all possible I would recommend a new truck. Nothing like new and a new truck warranty IMHO.

--
Mike N