New married team asks a few questions :)

JennyMae

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, my husband and I are signing on to Midwest (or maybe more commonly known as all types expediting) We are just going to be using another owners van for now until we get the hang of things and see how we like this type of running. So far it seems like a good deal, 35% of each load plus 16% for fuel and 19% going into a fund for repairs and such. Obviously we wont be getting rich but thats not really our goal at this point. We have had it drilled in our heads about having some operating money saved back and we do have some, although not nearly as much as a few people have suggested, we could comfortably be off work for around 2 or 3 weeks on our savings. Since we wont have a van payment to make and wont be paying for any necessary repairs this seems pretty sufficient. So for my questions:
1) Has anyone heard much about this company? They seem pretty reputabel as far as I have been able to tell but I havent found many reviews by any one who has worked for them.

2) We have a laptop, my phone is a wifi hotspot so net is covered as long as im in an area where i get service with sprint, microwave, 2 inverters, power cooler, and planning on satellite radio, is there anything else we should have in order to be comfortable in the van?

3) Hows the winter driving in a 3/4 ton van? My husbands an old pro at this but Im a fairly timid driver when it comes to snow and ice.

4)Any other suggestions I didnt read in the faq's for people starting out?

Thanks guys I appreciate feedback a ton :)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1) Has anyone heard much about this company? They seem pretty reputabel as far as I have been able to tell but I havent found many reviews by any one who has worked for them.

So, who's telling you they're reputable? Them? Do the research!!! You may end up choosing to go elsewhere.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Hello and welcome. My advice is to dig deeper to find the truth about that company. To me when you do a split with an owner and you pay for fuel, it is usually a 60-40 split. 60 percent goes to the driver with 100% fuel surcharge. The other thing I'm wondering is why the 19% for repairs. You are not buying or leasing the van from the owner so that means you shouldn't have to save for repairs, that's the van owners job.

There are plenty of other better company's that you could get your feet wet while running someone elses equipment.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hello, my husband and I are signing on to Midwest (or maybe more commonly known as all types expediting) We are just going to be using another owners van for now until we get the hang of things and see how we like this type of running. So far it seems like a good deal, 35% of each load plus 16% for fuel and 19% going into a fund for repairs and such. Obviously we wont be getting rich but thats not really our goal at this point. We have had it drilled in our heads about having some operating money saved back and we do have some, although not nearly as much as a few people have suggested, we could comfortably be off work for around 2 or 3 weeks on our savings. Since we wont have a van payment to make and wont be paying for any necessary repairs this seems pretty sufficient.

My first question for you is Do You Have a Contract with the owner?

Regardless what you are doing, the contract is THE most important thing.

My second question is can you afford to buy a van?

So for my questions:

I don't know much about the company, I get it mixed up with another one which is not too good or may it is the same one.

2) We have a laptop, my phone is a wifi hotspot so net is covered as long as im in an area where i get service with sprint, microwave, 2 inverters, power cooler, and planning on satellite radio, is there anything else we should have in order to be comfortable in the van?

I wouldn't worry about anything except ways to keep warm. Food is not an issue, I would eat cheap. The van owner is providing those things?

3) Hows the winter driving in a 3/4 ton van? My husbands an old pro at this but Im a fairly timid driver when it comes to snow and ice.

Depends, first I wouldn't be in a 2500 or an E250 van as a driver, but that's me. I would not worry about snow and ice unless the tires are crap.

4)Any other suggestions I didnt read in the faq's for people starting out?

Yes, talk to Jenny or the Enemy about their adventures. I think they have it together quite well. He already posted some info but PM them.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I've never heard good about all types, but that is what I have heard and do not know for a fact, do some research here:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why are members so timid to tell this couple?

ALL-Types/Mid-west whatever they are calling themselves now...hard to keep up with the name changes....:eek:

Please do MORE checking them out....

Reputable is the LAST word I'd use to describe this company...

JennyMae

Seasoned Expediter
Ahhhh! read the forum about all types, then read the report on the bbb website and ripoff.com. Emailed "david" the recruiter we had been talking to about this companys bad reputation and he was not to happy to be asked any sort of questions like that. Thank goodness we have not left our current jobs or paid anything up front yet! We cancelled our orientation with them and sent an application to all state expediting. Any other places you all can recommend that have non owner driver openings? We are not sure we are ready to buy a van yet, we would like to try just driving for a while and seeing how we like it before making such a big decision. I VERY much appreciate the feedback. I had searched for reviews of alltypes but for some reason my google search, yahoo search, and even topix.com searches turned up nothing. Thank goodness I looked on here! You guys are awesome!:)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is a case where size matters, i.e. vans are small so the pay is small. It's very very tough for a van to make enough money to support two separate entities. Running team will help as that increases the revenue potential but even then it will be challenging at times. You may need to invest a day on the phone to contact the carriers to see if they have any van owners to recommend. At the very least contact Landstar, Fedex, Express-1, Panther, Tri-State and Bolt in no particular order. Some of the other van guys may know of an owner to suggest you contact as well. Good luck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ahhhh! read the forum about all types, then read the report on the bbb website and ripoff.com. Emailed "david" the recruiter we had been talking to about this companys bad reputation and he was not to happy to be asked any sort of questions like that. Thank goodness we have not left our current jobs or paid anything up front yet! We cancelled our orientation with them and sent an application to all state expediting. Any other places you all can recommend that have non owner driver openings? We are not sure we are ready to buy a van yet, we would like to try just driving for a while and seeing how we like it before making such a big decision. I VERY much appreciate the feedback. I had searched for reviews of alltypes but for some reason my google search, yahoo search, and even topix.com searches turned up nothing. Thank goodness I looked on here! You guys are awesome!:)

You are welcome.....

and Welcome to our happy internet home...

There are a wealth of experienced vanners on this site....ask away....

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
Someone once asked what EO was all about. Today was a perfect example of the help one can get by just asking the right question! Good work everyone!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wait Wait Wait!!!!

You are working and going to ditch the job for this stuff?

Unless the work is so horrible that you can't stand it, I would stay right where you are for a bit more.

JennyMae

Seasoned Expediter
Well my husband drives a big truck and for various reasons he doesnt want to do that anymore. I have been layed off anyway for a month and have been riding with him most weeks since my step kids are grown and out of the hosue anyway. I dont have a cdl, no one I would want to drive a huge truck like that but I handle a full size truck and uhauls well on necessary occasions. Since we have only been married a year and I want to go back to school anyway we figured this would be a good oppurtunity. I want to take as many classes online as possible to try to finish my masters in a year or so while my husband does most of the driving and I help out and drive when necessary or he is tired or I'm bored lol. We will get rid of our apartment, put our stuff in storage, get a hotel room from time to time but basically just stay on the road, take every load that comes our way, see some of the country and make a lot of good memories :). Like I said we dont want to get rich this year just make enough to support ourselves and put a little back in savings. Pretty low overhead with our only bills being a storage unit and 2 cell phones. If we like it in a few months we may buy our own van once we see how it is and if we think it would be a good investment. Surely even driving for someone else we would make enough to do that... or would we? If not I'd love to hear what you guys think....

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There has been a lot of discussion in the past so I'm just hitting a few high points and the rest is in the archives. Can you make money and put some away? I think the majority of companies are paying vans 77cpm on loaded miles plus fsc. In a standard 60/40 split that's 46cpm plus fsc for the fuel buying side and 31cpm for the side not buying fuel. For 1000 loaded miles that's $460 plus fsc or $310. When empty it's frequently zero but if you drive far enough there's a little bit coming in. At those numbers you may have to choose to be a full partner in the driving to get enough loaded miles to generate the revenue you'll need.

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
Welcome JennyMae. I'm sure you will discover alot of "food for thought" material in here, as we did.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Whew... good.

It sounded like you were following some others in the path of disaster.

Well here is my advice for what it's worth.

Have hubby and you save up for a van, they are cheap ... I mean cheap. It really doesn't pay to go to an owner for a van, however there are success stories out there. He already has road experience so he knows the routine.

It doesn't have to be a sprinter, but could be a good buy on a Box (aka cutaway) van from Penske or ryder - 12 foot is a good start and cheaper than a sprinter.

BUT before I would do that, I would set some goals, and then I would think about a company that would fit those goals. I wouldn't worry about brand (FedEx vs. Panther), but rather performance. We have a wide selection of companies that seem to be growing and there are a number of honest people out there who will tell you what is a good fit for them.