New Knee

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Finally got my other knee replaced at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. It's painful but necessary for my future. Mayo is so great, they make you feel as though you are special. Food is gourmet level with room service ordering and most is centered on the Med. diet. Salmon steaks have 4 different glazes, Pecan Crusted Tilapia, New York Strip steak, etc. I have had this done 4 weeks ago and I am using a cane for some help but mostly walking on my own. Looking forward to returning to Expediting in late summer possibly. My suggestion is if your knee is almost gone get it done, a couple of months of suffering and recovery vs living constantly in pain and fearful your knee will give out at the worst moment:)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Just be sure to do the exercises/therapy no matter how painful.

My first mother-in-law refused to flex it; too painful.
It stiffened up on her and she spent the rest of her life as if her leg was in a cast.

It was a major project just to get into or out of a car.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It was about 4 years. It's a "Big Commitment"! Glad it's on the way to recovery. It is embarrassing how close I come to getting tears in my eyes during physical therapy. But eventually it'll be over, a bad knee is worse and it gets worse all the time. You know when you're about 6'5" and 300 lbs you should not let a little girl PT make you cry:)
Finally got my other knee replaced at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. It's painful but necessary for my future. Mayo is so great, they make you feel as though you are special. Food is gourmet level with room service ordering and most is centered on the Med. diet. Salmon steaks have 4 different glazes, Pecan Crusted Tilapia, New York Strip steak, etc. I have had this done 4 weeks ago and I am using a cane for some help but mostly walking on my own. Looking forward to returning to Expediting in late summer possibly. My suggestion is if your knee is almost gone get it done, a couple of months of suffering and recovery vs living constantly in pain and fearful your knee will give out at the worst moment:)

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
My wife had her knee down about 5yrs. Ago and it madevavnig difference. She called physical therapy the Torture Chamber. It was funny during recovery when she had the Morpine Drip, she was laughing alot.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Waited 4 years but I am not sure of a standard time,probably would be wise IMHO to wait until full recovery of one knee normally about 6 months. Some folks get both done at the same time.
How long did you wait between replacements?

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You are absolutely correct about physical therapy!:)
Just be sure to do the exercises/therapy no matter how painful.

My first mother-in-law refused to flex it; too painful.
It stiffened up on her and she spent the rest of her life as if her leg was in a cast.

It was a major project just to get into or out of a car.