new hire question

trump

Expert Expediter
I have been offered a position driving a van and/or streight truck under my chauffers license for a trucking company. they are offering me $9.50 p/h to start with overtime beginning after 45 hours. My question is this under federal law shouldnt overtime be after 40 hrs.
I would like to work for this company as they will pay for me to test out for my B license.and I will have benefits with my employment.
Also this is my first job with a trucking company annd they are willing to hire me with little experience. are there any questions that I should ask that I am not aware of from a newbies stand point.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I thought over time was after 40 hours as well. There may be some exemption that they are using. Most in expediting are independent contractors. You could email ooida at www.ooida.com and see what they say.

ihatejeffgordon

Expert Expediter
i worked for a contractor that operates several delivery routes for airborne express. they paid all their drivers hourly, and did not pay overtime after 40 hours. when i asked around, several drivers told me that they had talked to their attorneys about that, and that there was indeed an exemption. i took that for an answer, and never really looked into it, but i would like a propper explaination if you ever get one.

Remember, Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
if ooida doesn't have the answer, I would imagine the U.S. labor dept would.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Companys that quote a weekly gross for 45 hours,have a way of showing that the extra 5 hours were figured at the overtime rate.What they are saying is they will then pay any thing over 45 hrs at the time and a half rate.Nothing illeagl here,its just a very old practice used by hourly employers.

trump

Expert Expediter
Well the company called me this morning for a driving test and when I arrived they took me out back to where the trucks are parked. they had me drive on the freeway and around the airport. I felt the driving part went fairly well. the tester asked me if I seen the clearance sign on the bridge and I said no as I was trying to check my speed and the wheel was off by 90 degrees and the center arm was blocking the speedomoter. I felt unsafe driving this truck because the front suspension felt very loose along with play in the steering wheel. having second thoughts about this company .