New Here

gregsr40

Seasoned Expediter
I am new here and would like to ask some questions-I have been reading a lot of the posts here and have found most very helpful-however I am confused about if I need a CDL to drive a Sprinter or cargo van.
As far as the business side goes-I am not familiar with all the terms and how to know if a o/o is good to work for or not.I have seen it said many times that when one is starting out that one should start with a o/o that is willing to take on someone like me.With that being said-How do I know if o/o is not trying to rip-me off,or if I am getting paid enough?Is it out of line to ask how long do I have to go out-1 week,3 weeks at a time.
What about the gas,food,oil,sleeping,showers and all the other stuff.
I know that I am rookie so I need someone to show me the ropes-so to speak.
I did drive a straight truck back in the late 80's for 5 years for a local co.but that was a long time ago.
Any HELP would be great.
Greg

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
Welcome to E.O. someone will be along shortly to help with your questions, most of your questions can be searched in some older post but just about everyone here is pretty helpful. I think you need a C endorsement but a B with air brakes and a Haz-mat would be the better option.

gregsr40

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the info.With that being said-Should I look into a driving school to get my CDL? I live in the Chicagoland area,Does anyone know of a good school here?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
As Cat said, if you get a CDL, try to get at least a B, if not an Class A. The trick is to have something to give you more options.

Most companies need a CDL because of insurance, this is an insurance driven industry, the insurance people run the show when it comes a lot of things.

If you drive for someone, do so with a contract and only a contract.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well that all depends.

When I had drivers work for me, I had a contract that explained responsibilities and who got paid what and when. I would go through the entire contract with the driver page by page and explain it to them so there is no misunderstanding.

Every situation is different, every owner/driver has different goals and the most important thing to remember is that the contract is there to protect everyone.