New Hair drug tests for workers.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
But the one that should really perk a few ears up is one line in particular from the article linked by Phil: "As a result [of urine testing versus hair testing], companies don't get an accurate idea of what a driver does in his or her free time."

Wow

I wonder, how far are we from the compliance geeks saying that if you fail a hair test you should be charged with illegal drug use and sent to prison or at least to mandatory rehab. After all, it would be in the interests of public safety, and if just one life is saved, it would be worth it, right?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not far at all, our Constitutional was run through the shreadder long ago.

Bob Wolf

ATeam

Retired Expediter
My woman works in a medical lab and I asked one of the lab techs who actualy do the testing about urine and DNA. I was told DNA can also be found in clean urine, if there is no blood it is in diluted amounts. Because DNA is made from protiens and clear urine contains trace ammounts of blood and protiens however it would take a large amount of urine like one quart of urine to find enough D.N.A. Now, if the donor has an infection, medical condition, or other reason especialy men that causes an increase of blood or other protien in the urine it wont take much at all to collect enough DNA on somone I will ask about the hair samples as this is a good question.

Bob Wolf.

Urine samples and DNA testing confirms what you post.

rotcaal

Active Expediter
back_to_the_future_flying_train.jpg

This is the ultimate train! :cool:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I wonder, how far are we from the compliance geeks saying that if you fail a hair test you should be charged with illegal drug use and sent to prison or at least to mandatory rehab. After all, it would be in the interests of public safety, and if just one life is saved, it would be worth it, right?
Yes, exactly, that's the slippery slope, and it wouldn't take much imagination to see that's where it will be headed.

The whole notion of some need, one that can never be justified, to get an accurate idea of what a driver does in his or her free time is Big Brother on steroids. It's atrocious. What I do in my free time is my business, no one else's. If I choose to drink or do drugs on my free time, as long as it's completely out of my system and I'm stone cold sober when working, that's the end of that discussion. The laws and regulations, and common sense, tells you that you need to be completely sober and not under the influence when driving. The fact that you were under the influence six months ago, and not driving, is irrelevant.

But an even bigger problem is, as was noted in the OP, the indiscriminate collection of DNA which can be tested for all manner of things, such as genetic markers for certain diseases or, in the opinions of some, certain behaviors and predispositions. History has shown that it's rarely a question of "should it be done", but rather "since it can be done, let's do it".

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Thats why I love this place nobody can get too serious LOL...Love the trains guys, BUT Phil has struck on what Im getting at, If as an whole they start collecting Hair samples and DNA how far are we away from someone being denied a job because they find a cancer gene, or other health concern.
I dont believe its about drugs, most real drivers arent doing drugs, they earn too much money, own a huge investment and cant risk being kicked out and losing it all. If 1% are doing drugs and they arent catching them with Pee tests or randoms I dont think its acceptable to give my Hair...

I do not have a hair on my body, Im a truly bald man, so what happens then, they would want a blood sample....Im not trying to gross yall out, Im pointing out as Phil did, DNA samples can be used for so many kinds of medical testing, They can look at your genes and tell if your pre disposed for cancer, or a "costly" medical condition that Insurers might want singled out....

It sound so Orwellian, but today this is a fact !!!!

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
The exclusion of a simple consonant kinda changes the intended meaning of this sentence. It has me wondering who will determine robustness? It has also triggered a mental recall of a Woody Allen movie. It isn't fair that women and eunuchs are being excluded. I think I'll drown my sorrows with a bottle of Woolite.
Did same movie include the chasing about with a very large part of the female anatomy?
Seems I remember my parents..nevermind

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
DNA testing can be done with clipped hair but clipped hair typicaly contains markers from your mothers genepool now if a hair is brushed out, falls out, or is plucked out it contains the root it has all your DNA and somone could do anything with it. Its kinda scarry the average person can have a DNA profile on anyone as long as they have any body tissue, hair, or any body fluid both fresh and dried.
Cost....... Only two hundred bucks.

Think the hair test is a good idea? No your not being paranoid.

I will take project golden flow for now and only after passing a pot or two of coffee.