New h.o.s. Seems to put solos out

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems as if they are trying to encourage more teams and discourage the solos in this business. I believe the new H.O.S. seem to affect the solo more than the team drivers.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems as if they are trying to encourage more teams and discourage the solos in this business. I believe the new H.O.S. seem to affect the solo more than the team drivers.

yipper...30 minutes is about 25 miles in dispatchers time...if one starts their fueling time from the time they hit the off ramp(if possible)....might get a few minutes back...

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I think the whole subject about teams and solos is a whole lot of nothing. Why would any team aceppt the same work I (as a solo)am doing? (With money to the truck being the same) Even dispatch should understand they need to hold those teams for the team loads or risk missing out on that work because they don't have a team truck available. Let's say a team takes that 400 or what ever mile run it is and a half hour later a 1500 mile run shows up, both the truck and carrier risk losing because someone didn't utilize what they have avaible to them properly. I know a lot will say, But a team can turn right away,but truth be known with the work most of us are doing right now (auto related) your going to bed for awhile anyways with very little per planning happening going on lately. With proper managing of the fleet everyone should have their fair share of work. I know several teams that think along these same lines..They won't do a Detroit to Ky and risk losing something better even if it means waiting a bit longer most of the time.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the whole subject about teams and solos is a whole lot of nothing. Why would any team aceppt the same work I (as a solo)am doing? (With money to the truck being the same) Even dispatch should understand they need to hold those teams for the team loads or risk missing out on that work because they don't have a team truck available. Let's say a team takes that 400 or what ever mile run it is and a half hour later a 1500 mile run shows up, both the truck and carrier risk losing because someone didn't utilize what they have avaible to them properly. I know a lot will say, But a team can turn right away,but truth be known with the work most of us are doing right now (auto related) your going to bed for awhile anyways with very little per planning happening going on lately. With proper managing of the fleet everyone should have their fair share of work. I know several teams that think along these same lines..They won't do a Detroit to Ky and risk losing something better even if it means waiting a bit longer most of the time.

I think it is like a bowl of nuts and bolts....one could wait for the big one....turn down a 400-500 mile run and nothing pops that day...do the 4-500 mile load that leads into a 1500 miler outta KY....expedite is so nutty...who knows what the real solution is...there are soooo many different possibilities....:)

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I think it is like a bowl of nuts and bolts....one could wait for the big one....turn down a 400-500 mile run and nothing pops that day...do the 4-500 mile load that leads into a 1500 miler outta KY....expedite is so nutty...who knows what the real solution is...there are soooo many different possibilities....:)

Agreed its a crap shoot no matter what ya do..By no means do I mean to imply a team should cherry pick coast to coast loads only. XDocks are sometimes another option,,If it has to be there over night 2 solos can still get it done. :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agreed its a crap shoot no matter what ya do..By no means do I mean to imply a team should cherry pick coast to coast loads only. XDocks are sometimes another option,,If it has to be there over night 2 solos can still get it done. :D

I didn't think ya did....but I've seen so many "New" teams....and they've got this "team" air to them....only doing team runs....not looking beyond the moment...they get this "number" locked in their head or their fleet owner wants it that way....there is nothing wrong with 500 x 5 in a row...IF it turns out like that...just a little more getting out and open and close doors...LOL

My experience is out dated...but on a paper log it is still possible to do your fueling from the time of the off ramp to the on ramp...and IF you get a pump right away and don't go for a whiz....

over all taking the minus's with the pluses..the new rule does nothing for over all safety IMO

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 1/2 hour break is strait foward and easy to accomidate somwhere in your squeduel.
The dificult part is the restart being allowed only once per week and must include two overnights. Time of day getting on the road is a fabricated issue I dont see the highways being flooded with trucks during rush hour.
However, If I work and or drive Monday and Tuesday, then im parked for two or three days, then I have the opertunity to have five days of work I cannot do it because I already used 4 to 5 days. This is the part of the H.O.S. that is total B.S.!!

Bob Wolf

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
As a team we do the short runs if they pay enough. It's all about the money.
We have only done one automotive run this year.
Fueling is an on duty activity. The 30 minute break is a off duty or sleeper berth activity.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
The 1/2 hour break is strait foward and easy to accomidate somwhere in your squeduel.
The dificult part is the restart being allowed only once per week and must include two overnights. Time of day getting on the road is a fabricated issue I dont see the highways being flooded with trucks during rush hour.
However, If I work and or drive Monday and Tuesday, then im parked for two or three days, then I have the opertunity to have five days of work I cannot do it because I already used 4 to 5 days. This is the part of the H.O.S. that is total B.S.!!

Bob Wolf
Assumming your start up on Monday was a fresh start and you where parked for a few days. That means those hours are still available to you. Am I missing something?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If I work and or drive Monday and Tuesday, then im parked for two or three days, then I have the opertunity to have five days of work I cannot do it because I already used 4 to 5 days. This is the part of the H.O.S. that is total B.S.!!

The restart can only be done once a week. More accurately, it can only be done once every seven days. More accurately still, a restart can only begin 168 hours after the beginning of the previous restart period (the period in which you are sitting to restart your log).

It does not matter what day of the week it is. To see if you are eligible for a restart, look back to the beginning of your previous restart. If it is 168 or more hours behind you, you are eligible to do a restart.

In the scenario you present, you could begin a restart on Tuesday, if your previous restart began 168 or more hours before. If you did a restart only the weekend before, you would not be able to begin a restart on Tuesday.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
yipper...30 minutes is about 25 miles in dispatchers time...if one starts their fueling time from the time they hit the off ramp(if possible)....might get a few minutes back...

Just think, it seems no one ever takes a break during the day or night, what a bunch of bull drivers are trying to put out there.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Bob Wolf

Bob, under the 10/8 rules we used to have once you ran out of hours on your 70 you needed to shut down for up to 3 days. Those rules were set up in a way that you only worked 70 in a week.

The 11/14 and 34 hour restart made it so you could get up to a 82 hour work week, now the FMCSA decided to cut the industry back to 70 hours where were supposed to be all along. JMO

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
we have some great prices on sprinters
one more reason to drive a sprinter
i saw this coming ten years ago
this was to happen sooner than it did

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Just think, it seems no one ever takes a break during the day or night, what a bunch of bull drivers are trying to put out there.

You look to deep in it. We take breaks but it is easier to do when we are ready then when the gov says we are ready. Plain and simple.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You look to deep in it. We take breaks but it is easier to do when we are ready then when the gov says we are ready. Plain and simple.

That is always been one of my points....it was bad enough before but the Gov. has to know your not a light switch or on-demand sleep/rest time....

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nope I don't take breaks if i'm driving 1 hour or 11 my truck doesn't stop until i reach my destination. my fueling is done right after i drop so i'm ready for the next run. Got a bottle to pee in and food and water in the cooler. Theres a couple of people who know me on this site and know it's true.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Nope I don't take breaks if i'm driving 1 hour or 11 my truck doesn't stop until i reach my destination. my fueling is done right after i drop so i'm ready for the next run. Got a bottle to pee in and food and water in the cooler. Theres a couple of people who know me on this site and know it's true.

When do you shower or take a flamin dump? Seriously I have to stop every now and again to pinch a loaf. You can't do that in a bottle.