New Expediter

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh
Grown men also realize that this is a forum where everyone is free to share their opinion. Just by posting here invites others to respond. No ofense was intended.

I've been on here for a long time and I've seen lots of different kind of people come and go from expediting. Generally, the most successful ones were the ones with thicker skin that came on here to learn. We could be quite blunt sometimes and sometimes we poke fun at each other. Enjoy whatever vehicle you chose to drive and have fun sharing with others. Don't let anybody spoil your fun.

Cheers.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
I’m succeeding, in a sprinter van. So eh. Don’t be upset that someone from a different stance is just as blunt. And my fun hasn’t been ruined I just won’t offer more details of my productive weeks. I’m not strapped by obscene bills and can work how I want to work. Just because someone got upset that I am doing it in a sprinter van won’t change that.

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Having a forum where new people can’t do what they want with their own lives, business and vehicles is not much of a forum. Those who do things differently are mocked by people on the so called forum is a sure way to kill it. Once again I wondered why it doesn’t get much traffic and newer people aren’t posting. I’m beginning to see why. “The do it my way or we will pretend to try and help” route; especially when a person didn’t ask for it is probably why this forum doesn’t get traffic like the others.

So basically you have people who are regulars only talking to each other and that seems so dry. You don’t even realize that behavior that was portrayed in the “we make fun of each other and give each other a hard time” rubs people the wrong way. Not their problem. It’s yours.

If you personally don’t like other people telling you how to run your lives and businesses or which vehicle to drive.. why on God’s green earth would you think it wise to throw that behavior on someone else you have no clue about? You don’t know me. I don’t know you. Stop acting like we know each other. We aren’t friends; don’t want to be from shown behavior. Others more than likely have and will see it and move on.

Reactions: John49

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update: Still in Sprinter Van. Fleet owner is selling me the van. When I got into it it was brand new (2020) with only 36 miles on it so I have been the only one who drove it. He takes care of all of the repairs and fuel I pay about 600 a month for it. I think its a great deal. Think he got it for 40k and selling it to me for 18k. I have about 14k more to pay on it. He treats me well and lets me work and pick loads. Very laid back fleet owner. I need to invest in a generator or something eventually. I am currently in a hotel because the air and heat stopped working and the heat was getting to me and pup in-between loads. Owner put us in a hotel until after the 4th of july holiday. 4 more months marks a year in the new van. Pretty excited about that

sierra98

New Recruit
Driver
Update: Still in Sprinter Van. Fleet owner is selling me the van. When I got into it it was brand new (2020) with only 36 miles on it so I have been the only one who drove it. He takes care of all of the repairs and fuel I pay about 600 a month for it. I think its a great deal. Think he got it for 40k and selling it to me for 18k. I have about 14k more to pay on it. He treats me well and lets me work and pick loads. Very laid back fleet owner. I need to invest in a generator or something eventually. I am currently in a hotel because the air and heat stopped working and the heat was getting to me and pup in-between loads. Owner put us in a hotel until after the 4th of july holiday. 4 more months marks a year in the new van. Pretty excited about that
Hi there I am new to expedite driver only about 6 weeks. How did you talk to fleet owner into selling van to you? Does he get your loads for your? Are you now an owner operator? Are you still making money out there, even though you are paying him the $600/month?
i would like to talk more “shop” but would reserve for private conversation.
thanks
tammi

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi there I am new to expedite driver only about 6 weeks. How did you talk to fleet owner into selling van to you? Does he get your loads for your? Are you now an owner operator? Are you still making money out there, even though you are paying him the $600/month?
thanks
tammi
Hello, it was his idea, he called me up one day and said he wanted to sell the van to me. He said he offered others as well. It was at the start of the virus and I told him I wanted to think about it, then he told me about all of the things he would cover and it made sense to me. The van is leased on to a carrier and they find loads. I am classified as an independent contractor. Some weeks are extremely good and some are not great, but that is the business not him or the company. Thinking now of how I want to proceed after I pay it off completely. Ill say this if I didnt already downsize it would be hard with bills at home due to everything going on right now. I only have a phone bill and its just me and my dog. The 600 is nothing compared to the cost of 18 wheel weekly payments so I feel I am coming out ahead even though I took a pay cut. I also want to add that I am saving money so that I can pay off a large sum before the end of agreement I signed. Just thinking if I can do so I would be able to do whatever I wanted to do. Sorry for the delay.

Reactions: kg and RoadTime

sabbatinog

New Recruit
Researching
thanks
tammi
What is a good, reasonable between van owner and driver?

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is the deal you have with the van owner..pay? Did you have to pay for orientation or drug test?
I didnt have to pay for orientation or the drug test, fleet owner is leased on to a company so the company took care of both.

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is a good, reasonable between van owner and driver?
Expediter norm is 60/40. Some cases the driver gets 60% and pay for fuel and what not. Other cases 40% and just drives. Depends on the driver if they can make either work. I cant say which is better for others because I dont have as many expenses as others do.

Reactions: Ragman

sierra98

New Recruit
Driver
I was wondering if it would be better to be an owner operator or just a driver. Now I’m obligated to run where the loads are and get back to hometown periodically. The current owner is extremely new to expediting and doesn’t know much. She is hooked up with a carrier for my van and her 2nd van she is finding the loads for that driver. If I had my own van, I could have a bit more flexible schedule without worrying about expectations of an owner. Thoughts.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Better is a very subjective word.

It really depends on what your goals are.

Personally, i never wanted to own my truck. Too many headaches.

I was wondering if it would be better to be an owner operator or just a driver. Now I’m obligated to run where the loads are and get back to hometown periodically. The current owner is extremely new to expediting and doesn’t know much. She is hooked up with a carrier for my van and her 2nd van she is finding the loads for that driver. If I had my own van, I could have a bit more flexible schedule without worrying about expectations of an owner. Thoughts.

Reactions: NewTrucker48

Mark989

New Recruit
Researching
Hello, I am researching the business from my home base Houston.
I plan to research this for the next ~6 months minimum before\if I jump. It will take that time to save the $20k min. I want in cash before I start if I do and give Covid-19 effects time to dissipate. I should have ~16 hr's p\wk to research.
Background: currently 63.5, male, American, former ROV supv\engineer\tech\pilot, I have no doubt I can adapt, working 12-16 hr's the norm, I am 100% single no obligations & healthy.
I can easily stay out 2-3 month's at a time, I base this on experience not in trucking but working off-shore world-wide with pple I don't like. Once I set my mind to something I'm a bulldog. I used to make $500-750 p\d tax free (legally) but that life is now gone.
My goal will be to net >$50k p\yr. I am willing to dedicate 320 days to that proposition. I am willing to dedicate the next 7 yr's to this.
I am willing to drive a 26'ft rig or less, if I need to go to CDL school so be it. Obviously the less stress relative to the pay must be weighed.

The reason for my post is this: can you steer me to the best section of this forum or should I just start devouring the info?
Recommendations for best additional forums and\or websites?
Thank-you, Mark

Reactions: dalscott

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello, I am researching the business from my home base Houston.
I plan to research this for the next ~6 months minimum before\if I jump. It will take that time to save the $20k min. I want in cash before I start if I do and give Covid-19 effects time to dissipate. I should have ~16 hr's p\wk to research.
Background: currently 63.5, male, American, former ROV supv\engineer\tech\pilot, I have no doubt I can adapt, working 12-16 hr's the norm, I am 100% single no obligations & healthy.
I can easily stay out 2-3 month's at a time, I base this on experience not in trucking but working off-shore world-wide with pple I don't like. Once I set my mind to something I'm a bulldog. I used to make $500-750 p\d tax free (legally) but that life is now gone.
My goal will be to net >$50k p\yr. I am willing to dedicate 320 days to that proposition. I am willing to dedicate the next 7 yr's to this.
I am willing to drive a 26'ft rig or less, if I need to go to CDL school so be it. Obviously the less stress relative to the pay must be weighed.

The reason for my post is this: can you steer me to the best section of this forum or should I just start devouring the info?
Recommendations for best additional forums and\or websites?
Thank-you, Mark
If I were in your shoes and not ready to make a move I would read as much as I possibly could to understand everything that goes into expediting. You have a good situation where you can take your time and not pressured to rush into anything. I would not buy anything, I would work with a fleet owner and keep the money in the bank and "forget" about it. Take your time and just learn and enjoy. After you gain experience then you can decide what you want to do afterwards.

Reactions: Ragman