New Expediter

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
I have a moving company and I am not doing much moving. I would like to try expediting; however, I have 2 (24ft) box trucks one is a 99 and the other is a 2000. Are they too old? I don't drive I have drivers, I basically run the company. What are the pitfalls? Is it even worth it?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
There are, I believe some companies who will take you on after they inspect your rigs. You will just need to call to see which ones, and who you are comfortable with.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I have a moving company and I am not doing much moving. I would like to try expediting; however, I have 2 (24ft) box trucks one is a 99 and the other is a 2000. Are they too old? I don't drive I have drivers, I basically run the company. What are the pitfalls? Is it even worth it?

Main question is are the floors fork lift rated? Are they dock high? If so, someone will sign you on.

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
They are both dock high. They don't have sleepers, that I think is the major problem. Everyone I call says they need sleepers, some DOT rated.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
They are both dock high. They don't have sleepers, that I think is the major problem. Everyone I call says they need sleepers, some DOT rated.

Yes, well, it would be hard to expedite without a sleeper on your truck. Unless you are willing to shuck out the dollars for a motel room as needed. You still might find some company that would give you some loads, but, most probably won't take you serious.

What about the floors in your trucks? Are they rated for forklifts? The reason I asked is that I looked at several moving van type trucks to make them expediting trucks, but the floors weren't forklift rated.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

This seems an odd time to leave the moving industry . The busiest season will be here soon . Are you willing to put your trucks on a permanent lease with an expediting company ? You would have to be under their authority .
Have you looked into a local delivery service delivering furniture and appliances ? The person that hooked up with Home Depot to rent trucks to customers made a killing .
Here's an example of what appears to be the ideal type of work for your trucks . http://www.homedelamerica.com/index.php/contractor-opportunities .
Google Home Depot delivery and you'll see many Home Depot customers are not happy with delivery people . You might be able to contract will a Home Depot if you can assure them of quality service .

jpalmer

Seasoned Expediter
Where do you live?

If you live near or in a large metro area. You could contract your trucks with local courier companies. Most courier companies these days are leaning toward box truck freight because envelope jobs are far and few between. They'd send you on state or tri state runs. Courier companies who use O/O don't have drivers with box trucks so they are looking for guys with trucks.

Corrugated box plants and plastics factories use Box trucks a lot. You should definitely look into that. I know a box company here in North Richland Hills TX that uses LTL all the time.

:)

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
I live 30 miles outside of Orlando. I haven't tried courier companies because I thought the biggest truck they would need is a van. That is a good idea. I am now trying to sign on as a contractor with the depots as suggested. Home depot, office depot, etc. There is not alot going on in this area if you don't have a flat bed, or a refer.:(

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I live 30 miles outside of Orlando. I haven't tried courier companies because I thought the biggest truck they would need is a van. That is a good idea. I am now trying to sign on as a contractor with the depots as suggested. Home depot, office depot, etc. There is not alot going on in this area if you don't have a flat bed, or a refer.:(
Check with ESP (Eastern Seaboard Packaging ) in Orlando . The have the contract to sell boxes to all U-Haul dealers in Florida . They may be able to use you for some deliveries when the season picks up . If you have sales abilities you could also buy packing materials from them and sell them to self store companies . Check with college book stores about selling boxes . Students will be buying boxes to pack up and go home soon .

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
That company seaboard's phone is disconnected. I applied with a company on craigslist to make furniture deliveries. He said you can make 2500 to 3300 per week. You get paid weekly, and it is seasonal work. I asked for his credentials and he became defensive. To work my guys 100 miles a day for 2 weeks without pay and I don't know anything about the company is pretty scary. I don't think he will call back.

jpalmer

Seasoned Expediter
That company seaboard's phone is disconnected. I applied with a company on craigslist to make furniture deliveries. He said you can make 2500 to 3300 per week. You get paid weekly, and it is seasonal work. I asked for his credentials and he became defensive. To work my guys 100 miles a day for 2 weeks without pay and I don't know anything about the company is pretty scary. I don't think he will call back.

Run! :eek:

Last time a company got defensive with me about loads. I ended up at the County D,A's office filing a bounced check claim.....lol

If a company can't be straight up with you they are ****!

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Just a thought. You live in the foreclosure capital of the south. Call some Realtors. Find out who are in charge of the property cleanouts. Especially Fannie Mae. Back in the day I had my own company there handling this as a broker for FNMA and others.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
coinsidentally, my husband does foreclosed properties and he uses his pick up truck and a trailer. I just spoke with an expedite company that said they will use any truck, I mentioned that I was in Florida and the trucks do not have sleepers. She said that is fine. So, I am going to check it out.

Godwindaniel

Seasoned Expediter
have a neighbor who always purchased a good used Crown Vic. He knows the owner/manager of large dealership near big city. Lots of fleet vehicles come and go. My neighbor would always get an unmarked (not repainted) dark blue Crown Vic. Every few years. Always a clean car.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
30 min. outside of Orlando in which direction? what town/area specifically??? 30 min. can make a difference in that area with traffic flow on I-4. Surely you can get a line run out of Miami and/or South FL to Orlando with freight? or Jacksonville? Try also Tampa area's. Atlanta is a long shot, but worth a try.

Why not get rid of those trucks you have and get 2 straight trucks with Texas sleepers on them? You may or may not have the attic space- don't know if your current trucks have it now, but you would have your sleeper required and your freight space all in one box.

You could perhaps get your current trucks converted to have a TX Style Sleeper. All they're really going to do is cut a hole behind the cab, cut a hole in the front of the box- install a boot. Put a bulkhead wall up, insulate and pad the walls and ceiling. install 2 (two) small windows/vents, and bingo! Sleeper within current truck!!

I used to run a lot of freight from Miami to Orlando, all kinds of freight. but with me, it got boring after awhile. That's a boring stretch of road to me.
it never snows!! it doesn't even ice up!!! Where's the fun in that???
All you had was sun, rain, or bugs... Lots and Lots of bugs! :)

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
AOExpress, if you click on "Find Trucks" at the top of the page under the Expediters Online.com Logo, and look up International you will see what I'm talking about. There's a few Int. straight trucks with attics that have moving co. style boxes and those TX style sleepers I was telling you about. Although they are double bunks that are 32". From the bulkhead wall to the rear is probably about 25 feet. You can get them with 24" bunks as well, usually they're tiny bunks, usually single bunks, with storage under them that has an access door on the outside. These that are for sale are 30k, they're '05 models. beneath the bottom bunk it looks like that's where they've placed an open storage area.

I don't like the design on the trucks I'm showing you, but at least you can get the general idea. There's a reason I don't like this particular layout, one good fart from the bottom and the person sleeping on the top bunk is like a rat in a capped soup can. They're going to be scrambling for fresh air... Not to mention the space shown here of 32" with a double bunk is a tight area. What would be the quality of sleep for 2 people plus a driver?
The vent is also shown for the top bunk only from what I saw.
So where does the bottom bunk get it's air from?

A single bunk with a storage area that goes the width of the truck under the bunk is the ideal choice, with a flip-up bunk as well. Be sure there's a light on each side of the storage area- so when the exterior doors are open at night there's a light under the bunk so you can see where those tools are in the tool box easier.
Provide reading lights in the bunk and a solid thick black vinyl curtain with velcro closure (or zipper, but zippers can break easier than the velcro can).
Make sure the curtain goes the full length top to bottom of the curtain AND Opening.
There's multiple ways to layout the truck and sleeper. I would keep a 24" to a 32" sleeper, and perhaps the attic as well. I would also put 2 vents on each side, and perhaps a window on each side as well, with a screen on the window and dark tint on the glass.

Designing the truck this way would allow your moving co. to utilize this truck for a long distance move with a tight schedule and eliminate stops for motels. When you're not using it for regular moving, you can expedite off a load board and/or run irregular freight anywhere you are legally allowed to run it.

What size are your fuel tanks on your current trucks? are they dual fuel tanks or ?
What is the empty weight of your current trucks with a driver and regular gear onboard?

BBB

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
Thanks, but 30K is a bit much for me right now. I am waiting on a move on a wing and a prayer. If nothing happens by the summer I will have no choice but to sell the trucks. Everything moving in the state are refers, or flat beds, probably due to the citrus and plants. I haven't given up, just can't change my trucks right now. Cash flow is scarce.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
This seems an odd time to leave the moving industry . The busiest season will be here soon . Are you willing to put your trucks on a permanent lease with an expediting company ? You would have to be under their authority .
Have you looked into a local delivery service delivering furniture and appliances ? The person that hooked up with Home Depot to rent trucks to customers made a killing .
Here's an example of what appears to be the ideal type of work for your trucks . http://www.homedelamerica.com/index.php/contractor-opportunities .
Google Home Depot delivery and you'll see many Home Depot customers are not happy with delivery people . You might be able to contract will a Home Depot if you can assure them of quality service .

Just be ready to install refrigerators and be liable for damage to the unit and the home you deliver to... all for the sky high price of $69.00

I wouldn't touch that work. Not ever.

fired at you from my Droideka

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You can convert one of your straight trucks to a truck with a sleeper for far less than 30k. You can do it for as little as 5k or even less.

How many trucks do you have that you would be selling? You said you have 2 trucks you use for a moving co.? Would you sell both together or would you sell separately? Both are 24 foot boxes? One is a 99 and the other is a 2000...

With a 24 foot box, and a sleeper on them (in any way shape or form) you can consider them made into at least a 20 foot box now. You can still make money with that size box.

Pull those boxes off there and trade them for a reefer box- or look into retro-fitting them, but I'm not sure if that's so easily done. I'm kind of doubting it could be done and be cost effective. However, you'd be better off getting a 20 foot reefer box on them and use them for regular or reefer freight.

If you're unable to make money with your trucks, somebody else can I'm sure. with 24 foot trucks, I'm guessing they're only 2 axle trucks? add a tag/pusher axle and you're able to put more freight on legally. Or, if you don't want to do that, perhaps consider finding prices on a used lift gate to help increase your opportunities.

The price of the trucks would be in the range of ?

Triple B.

Last edited: