New DOT physical qualifications start May 21st

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Skyraider I thought u were an expediter, I cant speak for the rest of these out here but I don't eat 3 squares a day. If I did I would look like the Majority of the Basket Ball Bellied Expediters out here. Yes Sir I am 50 and I can run 7 miles still under 47min and right before I run I can still do 100 pushups in 2 min and 150 sit ups in 2 min. along with 30 pull ups (Chin Ups). I am in Shape. Much better shape than those well dressed Suits at the Companies that the ladies all fall over and get all google Eyed about, That go to their indoor gym and play racket ball and then hit the sauna . I'm Still HALO Ready....................................................................................

Wow! iceroadtrucker, 150 sit ups in 2 min, congrats! World records average 44 sit ups per min.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wow! iceroadtrucker, 150 sit ups in 2 min, congrats! World records average 44 sit ups per min.
No world Records Triple Outstanding on PRTs is the Norm. This summer I will see if I can still do my 2500 yard swim as well. Hmm Have a nice Mailer. Some one said Green had a pool. Na I'll do it at the NAB Little Creek. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No world Records Triple Outstanding on PRTs is the Norm. This summer I will see if I can still do my 2500 yard swim as well. Hmm Have a nice Mailer. Some one said Green had a pool. Na I'll do it at the NAB Little Creek. Have a nice day.

Cool! Look like you got the base privileges to use the pool there. I've been swimming too, working on 1500 yards(Yep it kicking my butts). I figure by the end of the year I should be able to do 2500 without huffing and puffing, lol. Keep up the good work. HALO, you just love that adrenaline rush from the free fall, good for ya :)

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Probably the opposite
The DR wants to recoup the money he lost taking the time to train. And time to update his staff.

The less physicals he does, the more he'll to charge to regain that investment.,

Taking a week off from my business, to obtain a certification that did absolutely nothing to improve my skill level or profitability, would certainly be irritating .

jimmy

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Taking a week off from my business, to obtain a certification that did absolutely nothing to improve my skill level or profitability, would certainly be irritating .

jimmy

At $100-$125 per physical it will improve his profitability.
Also, add in the referral fees from the sleep clinics. :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
At $100-$125 per physical it will improve his profitability.
Also, add in the referral fees from the sleep clinics. :)

This some how increased safety on the highways?

That article is sorta miss leading.....as every Dr could before give the test...now only ones who do the training can.... as some Drs will not be taking the course in essence shrinking the pool....as more take the course the list expands. hence the article.

don't forget the cost of the lab work as well.....everyone makes money except us...

Quote In the past, any licensed professional could certify a driver for physical qualification. Quote

The article did remind of this point

jimmy

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There are plenty of Chiropractors and possibly some shady Drs that will basically sell you a card.

I haven't paid a lot of attention but I think someone mentioned there's increased liability on the Dr.

Also, some Drs may not have taken them seriously. ( got 10 fingers,10 toes ? You pass.)

I don't enjoy the increased cost but if this causes somebody to get a better physical,and possibly corrective treatment, and later he doesn't run over a car with kids in it, it'll be $100 well spent.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
There have always been shady characters .

Could not agree with you more, if the registry had an positive effect

jimmy

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The registry, should.

On the sleep apnea thing. I believe Schneider and Martin (Mondovi,Wi )
cover the cost of the testing and the Cpap machine.
In Schneider's case, I wouldn't be surprised if government funds were involved.
The savings to the carriers and the insurance companies should have them at the forefront picking up most, if not all ,the costs.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Friends and acquaintance's have had positive effects with sleep apnea treatment/cpap machines . They had themselves tested of their own initiative. No government prodding required .

I suspect we have differences of opinions about the effectiveness of this registry.

jimmy

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
There are plenty of Chiropractors and possibly some shady Drs that will basically sell you a card.

I haven't paid a lot of attention but I think someone mentioned there's increased liability on the Dr.

Also, some Drs may not have taken them seriously. ( got 10 fingers,10 toes ? You pass.)

I don't enjoy the increased cost but if this causes somebody to get a better physical,and possibly corrective treatment, and later he doesn't run over a car with kids in it, it'll be $100 well spent.

It won't be money well spent for the driver who wouldn't run over anyone without spending it.

Also, keep in mind that the $100 or whatever it is is just for the physical. If a driver is caught in the sleep study/CPAP scam, we're talking thousands, not hundreds, all for something he may not need, but the doctors want his money.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Falls into the category of "You know it, and I know it, but tell that to..."
In this case, doctors, and drivers who have been sent for mandatory sleep studies as a condition of getting their medical card.
I can hear it now: "Doctor, have you been sued yet?"
"What do you mean?"
"For applying standards over and above what the FMCSA allows as a disqualifying factor. Because that's what's about to happen."
Does a doctor then have to choose his lawsuit, and does the driver have the resources to press it?

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Anybody hear if OOIDA is weighing in on this? I would think they'd be interested in notifying congress that an agency of the executive branch is doing an end run around them this way, imposing a regulation that's not a regulation after they've already said the regulation can't be imposed in its current form or via the current methodology.