New cell carrier recommendation?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I'm thinking it's time for a new cell service. I'm seeing adverts for cheaper companies like Virgin, Cricket, etc. with unlimited data. I'm just not happy with the money I'm turning over to Verizon every month.

When I was on the road, I had been with T-Mobile, but suffered horrible service. Their 4G network was puny, and it was really just their 3G that was enhanced. It was fast, but it meant that once you left 4G, you were in 2G or worse. Then they changed their data plan to include only 100mb of data before outrageous charges, so...

So I went with Verizon. Never had a problem with them, except the exorbitant charges, and now they disabled all the PDAnet-type apps with the latest update. But the cost is the biggest thing. While I was on the road, taking calls from dispatch, I needed the coverage and it was worth the extra money. Now that I'm not on the road, I'm just watching the extra cash go out every month.

So I'm looking for another company with a decent network, and plenty of fast data at a better price. Fast, cheap data is a priority, but I also would like to get a phablet, and I don't think the bargain basement carriers have them.

I used to have AT&T service years ago, until they showed themselves to be thieving *******s, so I won't go back to them.

I've tried Sprint twice, once having gotten a phone that locked up all the time, and being unimpressed with their data service; the second time, I learned their signal is very weak at my house, even though I'm hardly in an outlying area. So I don't think they're going to work.

US Cellular's data network is a joke, and their data roaming packages are like T-Mobile's so they're out.

So I'm soliciting ideas. I know many have touted Straight Talk and similar, but I'm leery of their data, and they don't have premium phones like phablets. Any suggestions?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
So I went with Verizon. Never had a problem with them, except the exorbitant charges, and now they disabled all the PDAnet-type apps with the latest update.

Are you sure you updated your phone and computer to PDANet+? I was using PDANet all day but I did have to update my computer yesterday.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm using PDANet right now.

What update? Verizon, Android, PDANet?

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I used it all day for the load boards without issue. I had to update my computer to PDANet+(free if you paid for the old one) because I bought an S3 from someone and the older version of the app didn't automatically install so I just went with the new one which has FoxFi.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I've had the 4.01 on the computer for a while, and the last app update was a couple of weeks ago.

I think if your phone has Jelly Bean (4.1) then the WiFi mode of PDANet won't work, and you'll have to use tethered USB mode, but my phone is 4.0.4 so I'm not sure. I only use it with a USB tether, anyway. WiFi mode is a battery drain, but tethered actually charges the phone at the same time.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, I've had the 4.01 on the computer for a while, and the last app update was a couple of weeks ago.

I think if your phone has Jelly Bean (4.1) then the WiFi mode of PDANet won't work, and you'll have to use tethered USB mode, but my phone is 4.0.4 so I'm not sure. I only use it with a USB tether, anyway. WiFi mode is a battery drain, but tethered actually charges the phone at the same time.

I have 4.1.2 on my phone and both FoxFi and tethering work fine.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

Update to 4.1.2 . Neither the wifi not Bluetooth DUN work any longer. It says "Checking subscription" and then comes back saying I have to pay them $30 to do that. That's with Foxfi/PDAnet and that other Foxfi thing, whatever it's called, that's supposed to mask that you're doing it.

Tethering might be fine with a laptop, but I usually only use it between my tablet & phone, if one is maxing out, data-wise, and the other still has some left, or if wifi is down for some reason. If it is, I might let my family use my signal for a few minutes. Tethering won't work in those situations.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
So I'm soliciting ideas. I know many have touted Straight Talk and similar, but I'm leery of their data, and they don't have premium phones like phablets. Any suggestions?

I just went through all this for my co-driver. You say that "fast, cheap data is a priority". Well in my experience, there is no such thing. All the cut rate plans have small (1-1/2 GB) allowances before they choke your speed down to 2G speed IF YOU CAN EVEN GET COVERAGE, which data coverage is POOR with any of them.

You CAN get a phablet and use it on a cheap plan, but you have to be VERY CAREFUL. I bought a Samsung Note 2 unlocked from the AT&T store and discovered that it required a micro SD card from a selected carrier to operate. WE COULD NOT GET THE REQUIRED MICRO SD CARD FROM ANYONE BUT NET10, although Net10 has the same parent company, TracPhone, as Straight Talk. So you can buy the Samsung Note 2 from AT&T ($650) and use it on Net10 BUT, FOR DATA, MY VERIZON BLOWS IT AWAY in coverage & speed.

Net10 is cheap ($45 a month if you have automatic pay) but you will NOT enjoy the DATA coverage and speed of expensive Verizon. However, Net10 DOES HAVE VERY GOOD PHONE COVERAGE so, if good phone coverage is very important and marginal data is acceptable, I'd recommend Net10. My co-driver is far sighted and occasionally loses her glasses (always while I'm driving of course :( ) so that large screen of the Note 2 works best for her. She's always looking for some trivia, so less data speed (Google) works for her as well. If she wants video or other data intensive use, she borrows my gold-plated Verizon phone.

If you want fast data you are going to pay the long dollar, best coverage with Verizon. You get what you pay for with data!!! I went to great lengths to discover this truth. :banghead:

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Update to 4.1.2 . Neither the wifi not Bluetooth DUN work any longer. It says "Checking subscription" and then comes back saying I have to pay them $30 to do that. That's with Foxfi/PDAnet and that other Foxfi thing, whatever it's called, that's supposed to mask that you're doing it.

Tethering might be fine with a laptop, but I usually only use it between my tablet & phone, if one is maxing out, data-wise, and the other still has some left, or if wifi is down for some reason. If it is, I might let my family use my signal for a few minutes. Tethering won't work in those situations.

There must be something else that is wrong because as long as you purchased the original version the newest one is free. I am using the same OS as you and haven't had any problems.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Update to 4.1.2 . Neither the wifi not Bluetooth DUN work any longer. It says "Checking subscription" and then comes back saying I have to pay them $30 to do that.
Do you have the Hotspot box checked in the phone's settings? Not the app, but the settings for the phone? If so, uncheck that to turn the hotspot off. That whole "Checking subscription" thing is for the built-in Hotspot on the phone.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Do you have the Hotspot box checked in the phone's settings? Not the app, but the settings for the phone? If so, uncheck that to turn the hotspot off. That whole "Checking subscription" thing is for the built-in Hotspot on the phone.

That's what it is, I checked it on my phone and got the same message.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

Nope. "Checking subscription" is what I get when just using PDAnet. Others have the same problem. If you look up PDAnet on Google Play, you'll see that in the comments.
My guess is, you were using 4.1 before they put in the kill switch. I just upgraded to it a few days ago. I haven't checked, but I bet PDAnet still works on my tablet, running 3.something.
I imagine the devs will eventually come up with a workaround to the kill switch.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My current version of Android on the phone is 4.0.4
My current version of PDANet on the phone is 4.01
My current phone is a Motorola Droid Bionic, which won't get the Jelly Bean update until sometime in April, May or June.

If your phone gets updated to Android 4.1 or later, PDANet doesn't work.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
My current phone is a Motorola Droid Bionic, which won't get the Jelly Bean update until sometime in April, May or June. If your phone gets updated to Android 4.1 or later, PDANet doesn't work.
There's a warning for everyone, if mobile hot spot is important to you.
I thought they were slow updating the Motorolas. Key Lime Pie should be out soon, & ppl are still getting JB.
Sure hope the June Fabrics ppl figure out a fix. I rarely use the hot spot feature, but when I do, it's important to me. Just not enough to fork over another $20 to Verizon. The monthly gouge is deep & wide enough as it is.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
If you want fast data you are going to pay the long dollar, best coverage with Verizon. You get what you pay for with data!!! I went to great lengths to discover this truth. :banghead:
I wonder if I can get some sort of repeater to improve Sprint's signal... They have truly unlimited data. Their signal improves after I leave my driveway. If I can improve it inside the house...

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I wonder if I can get some sort of repeater to improve Sprint's signal... They have truly unlimited data. Their signal improves after I leave my driveway. If I can improve it inside the house...

Call Sprint and tell them you have no signal in your house. Then they will offer you an Airave for free, which is your own mini Sprint tower in your house. You need high speed internet though.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

There are inexpensive signal amplifiers available. I think I still have one somewhere around here. It consists of an antenna that you mount as high as you can facing the tower that serves you, about 40' of coax, and a transmitter you place in an optimal location in your home. The farther apart the better. It raised the signal 2-3 bars. I might be able to find it but I think Google or eBay will net you one for about $100.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Call Sprint and tell them you have no signal in your house. Then they will offer you an Airave for free, which is your own mini Sprint tower in your house. You need high speed internet though.
I just looked at Sprint's coverage map. Their 4G coverage is way behind the others, even T-Mobile's. I thought they were farther ahead than that.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had Straight Talk for a while. The connection sucked, and I missed several calls from my dispatch. Now I'm back with T-M, but as in your case, the net connection is slower than a dial up. Verizon is expensive, but they're the best.