new 3126 thread

ClassicOne

Expert Expediter
After 300K on my shift and 200K on previous leasee's shift I am preparing to buy this tired old FL80. I have built up equity to the tune of maybe 6K for a purchase price. Should have about 600K on equipment by then. So, Weave, I have been reading the manual on the 3126 again and have noticed that they advise consulting a cat dealer for rebuild options at 30K gals of fuel consumption.... Like 300K miles at 10 mpg? Is it possible that we should be rebuilding the heads at 300K? Maybe that is why there are so many engines blowing valves etc at 400K? I have 483K right now and have had only timing problems with a bad sensor (twice) but I think maybe there is another timing problem as I don't seem to have the cold start high idle like I used too. We use only a gal of oil between changes (10K) and still get 9.5-10.3 mpg (depending on wind!) Anyone have a good $$$ on a rebuild head or injectors?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most of the detrimental 3126 problems end up being cam bearings and basic bore wear, in other words things not related to the cylinder head. Replacing it as a precaution would be a waste of money as you might very well end up with worn bores not long for now, and a replacement engine will have a brand new head included with it. A 3126 CAN be rebuilt, but it must be removed from the frame, and the full rebuild cost with labor usually equals that of a brand new engine, which is what most owners opt for. Talk to a CAT shop, they will tell you this right out front.
So, if you really want the truck, you might as well bargain in another $10-15k for a new engine shortly down the road if you are smart, along with some downtime for the replacement to be performed. You didn't mention what the asking price for the truck is.
To tell you the truth, with that sort of mileage, I wouldn't spend much more on it than the $6k you have saved for it. Any more money if the engine replacement is budgeted for could be used to buy a truck that is a better bet.
JMO- Just my opinions ;)
-Weave-

ClassicOne

Expert Expediter
oops, guess I wasn't clear enough. The purchase price will be the 6K I have will have 40K in equity built up for the past 2 years. So a 2001 fl80 with a new engine for say less than 25K? I will have been driving it for the past 400K and although I would rather have a class 8.... I'm not sure I can pass up using the built up equity. I had heard that it was dropped valves on these engines.... must have heard wrong. I would think that bore wear would be indicated by increased oil consumption. 1 gal per 10K seems mighty fine to me. That usage has started in the last 40K without increasing yet. Do these engines fail all at once? Like a dam leak...small and then complete failure?

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The cat dealer (and others) have told me that they see engine cracks in the 3126's.

If you are not already getting the oil analyzed regularly, you may want to start. They can look at the various metals in the oil and get a bit of a handle on what may be going on in the engine.

Good luck and drive safe.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You just knew I would have to put something here! The one guys problem sounds like a bad sensor or computer problem if the high idle isn't working. Weave is right, they have to come out for a rebuild. A complete rebuild is a little cheaper down here in FL. Several places have given estimates of 10 to 11,000. A new one is around 15,000. Maybe more with the acert stuff. Got one with over 900000, and who knows when it will go. Haven't heard of them cracking though.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
And let's not forget those injectors. This is a big bucks job.

Ours went out with a highly increased oil consumption (was pumping oil back into the fuel tanks). CAT says the only solution is to replace the injectors. We did, and the second set was much worse. It seems CAT has no effective procedure for test new or old injectors in place, so they replace as a set. I have my second new set of injectors now running.

BTW, I replace the oil and filters regularly and use top quality oil.

Would I invest $6k to get this truck? Yes, even though it has a CAT. If they wanted more in payments later, I'd walk.

Vernon

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In this case the truck sounds like a good investment for the initial price. Along with keeping the engine in mind, an FL70 or any truck with that sort of mileage may be in need of brake drums and shoes, and some front end work. If you budget all the possible upsoming maintenance along with a possible engine rebuild/replace, for the small initial price the truck should be able to yield you some decent profits.
-Weave-