New 2005 Sprinter

corehyper

Expert Expediter
Hello, I made the leap and got a 2005 Sprinter 2500 158. it is loaded to the T but no sleepers. :( I do have a cot and sleeping bag, but I might want to in the near future put in a sleeper where I can just relax and lay my head down. I saw all the fancy sleepers out there and I really dont want that. I just want a insulated area where I can have some storage a fridge and maybe a tv when I'm bored. I dont need the whole 50 inches. Just something homemade and simple that looks good. anyone out there near NW PA willing to help me build this thing? or maybe give me a link where I can get directions? I pick it up Monday. right now it can hold 3 skids. is there anyway I can have a sleeper and be able to haul 3 skids? thanks. I drove D trucks for years and finally got this sprinter. I was gonna buy a 2002 sprinter with over 200k for $19k but I thought that was a little high even though it did have the phenix conversion in it. very nice setup. anyone else think that is high? thanks

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do a search for posts by dieseldoctor. I believe his is the one that has a bed in a framework that lowers down from the ceiling. Gives a full size instead of a shorty like the ones that go crossways and also allows for full skid length. The only time you can't sleep is if you have tall freight and that's not often. Good luck to you.

Leo Bricker, owner truck 3034
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
1+ Years of Service
Expediters Online.com - The Best is Getting Better!
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I got my Sprinter in September and I've been modifying it a little at a time. I can still haul 3 skids but I have a crosswise bunk that will fold when needed. I have the usual stuff in it too. I was spoiled by my D truck and now I can't do without my microwave, tv, DVD player and DC cooler. I plan to work on it some more over the holidays since there isn't much business between Christmas and New Years. It doesn't look too bad for a home made rig and I keep adding storage because I hate clutter, but I take a lot of stuff along with me.

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
I went with the Phoenix conversion, and I'm still smiling. Who needs a "D" unit.....I don't anymore....

Good luck with the sleeper...and happy holidays..

God Bless America

vipra

Expert Expediter
This place www.funtrail.com made me a bunk that hangs on chains from the ceiling of my Sprinter. I lower it to sleep and put it up against the ceiling when I have freight so I can take 3 skids. It's pretty simple- just a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to twin-bed size, 2x2s bolted onto the plywood along the 4 edges, then eyehooks in the 2x2s at the 4 corners and also midway along the long sides. Run 2 chains through the spaces above 3 of the bars that go left to right across the ceiling, then use those spring-loaded hook-and-eye things to connect the chains to the eyehooks.
I use an twin-sized air mattress and let the air out of it when the freight is over 5' tall so the bunk squeezes up to about 3" from the ceiling. If the freight is over 5'9" I let out the air, take the mattress off the plywood, then take the plywood off the chains and stand it up against one of the sides in front of the wheelwell. I rarely have to do that, though.
Sleeping on a 4'x6' air mattress is much better than the 2'x5' bunk I've seen in a lot of Sprinters. The only problem is that I froze last winter, so a month ago I put insulation in the back and had an Espar Airtronic 2 heater installed by Espar of Michigan in Romulus, and now I can keep it warm without idling.
I leave my fridge on the floor in back and just move it up front between the seats when I have 3 skids.
Good luck-
Vipra