Netherlands Prepares for Self-Driving Trucks Within Five Years

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds dangerous to me, even trains don't drive themselves yet and they have a track to guide them. We are still waiting for Mercedes to develop auto steer, a sprinter that steers it self while on freeway. The driver could and activate or de-activate. Kinda like cruise control only with the steering system. I hope they see this post and make it a option on the next generation. :)

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't see self driving trucks anytime soon picking up at Port Newark and delivering to Pittsburgh, for example, but I can see limited use on the Ohio Turnpike and on rural Interstates out west.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds dangerous to me, even trains don't drive themselves yet and they have a track to guide them. We are still waiting for Mercedes to develop auto steer, a sprinter that steers it self while on freeway. The driver could and activate or de-activate. Kinda like cruise control only with the steering system. I hope they see this post and make it a option on the next generation. :)

Well there are self driving trains in rail yards just not over long distance that I'm aware of.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Those trains are operated by remote control... Operator on the ground wearing the controls on a chest harness.

Deville

Not a Member
That's it it's all over but the crying. The truck driver, cab driver, will be 100% eliminated within 20 years.