Nervous newbie

Discussion in 'The Newbies Paradise' started by Josh, Sep 27, 2017.

1. DBenton
    Amazed

DBenton Rookie Expediter Driver

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    We will be staying in our truck all week. I do not know if we can stay at Fed Ex or if we have to go to a Truck Stop. Our dog is going to be with us. Tiny 12lb dog. We are not sure how to handle that situation. When we drove before he just stayed inside while we either loaded, unloaded or took showers. As far as the truck inspection I do not want Fed ex to say something about him. We have no one to watch him.

We are headed to store tomorrow to stock up for the week. I hate eating out and refuse to gain weight while driving. Lol

2. Boatcat
    Balanced

Boatcat Active Expediter Owner/Operator US Navy

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Carrier:
    Self
    Vehicle:
    Straight Truck 07 M2
    I'm with you on both points.
    My cat is my kid/companion so she stays in the truck, it's home to her. I can leave the door open with no worries, no matter where I happen to be, or how noisy.
    I'm lucky that way, a devoted cat man.
    I had to stay at a hotel during truck repairs and if it was an overnight, I knew she would be fine in the truck but if more than a day, I just pay the pet fee.
    In winter, obviously, I stay in the truck just because of all the issues with freezing and I we pull Never leave my sweet girl in a cold space alone.
    Most of the time pets are always welcome, but you need to understand that owners have had to spend big bucks to clean gross trucks.
    If you read my posts, you will understand.
    Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

• Josh

Josh Active Expediter Driver

Ratings:
      +164 / 2 / -0

You can stay at FedEx and they don't mind a dog. Someone had one in their truck when we were in class.

• Kip life

Kip life Active Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
      +88 / 6 / -0
      One piece of advice.. don't trust those truck stop mechanics loves/flying J. They are not career mechanics most moved up from cleaning and wash jobs in the truck stop ,a few classes and they are ready to fix ur truck..

If in an area, try Petro or TA mechanics and better if a truck repair shop is adjacent to truckstop go there ,those are career mechanics

Sent from my SM-N900T using EO Forums mobile app

• Josh

Ratings:
      +164 / 2 / -0

Agreed. Loves just happened to be where we were. Can't say I've had any good experiences at freightliner though. 3hrs to replace the shroud on our mirrior. Hopefully this time around will be better. Been a busy day. Dropped a load in Kentucky, picking up another now in Ohio headed to nc. Then picking up another from Kentucky going to Tennessee. Here's to trying to make up for lost time!

• Kip life

Ratings:
      +88 / 6 / -0
      Those short run are sweet!you make the $ fast.. best of luck consider buying your own truck you will not regret.

• Josh

Ratings:
      +164 / 2 / -0
      That's a ways off if at all. :)

I swear, when you have to call in your departure it can be 3 minutes.. or the 20 we've been waiting on hold... could have been well on our way by now.

• Josh

Ratings:
      +164 / 2 / -0

Edit:: 1hr on hold and counting..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Bummer Bummer x 1
    • Kip life

Ratings:
      +88 / 6 / -0
      Send an email to ca.r.ri.er1st and roll that's what we do I can't remember the last time I called in a load

O

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    • Josh

Ratings:
      +164 / 2 / -0
      Hmm. Haven't heard of that option before. I'll have to look into it. Their hold line kicks you off shortly after an hour. Had to call back and chose a different option and whoever answered took care of us. We'll be late for delivery and pickup for the other load but we should still make it

• Chernandez

Chernandez Active Expediter

Ratings:
      +14 / 0 / -0

• Chernandez

Chernandez Active Expediter

Ratings:
      +14 / 0 / -0
      Josh, I've been following from day 1....learning lots...went to FCC in Ohio for WG, came back did a few loads and today did my TVAL....after all is processed and I do a TVAL load, I will be WG/TVAL. I also drive with ES....I have nothing but positive experiences with them so far...any issues that arise, they're rectified.... So far so good...my codriver has been out for the last three weeks, holiday time ...ready to hit the road with all my endorsements and WG/TVAL when he arrives next week. Thanks for all the updates! They've been helpful...I'm an old goat, learning something new....90 days ago I had no CDL...did everything online.."B Class".

Ms. Benton, hang in there....you and you're other half should enjoy it. I was skeptical at first because it is so different than anything I've ever done.....I love it...although still learning. Josh has given a Newbie an incredible look into this endeavor...an honest open and in my opinion an unbiased account of experiences of a new trucker. Thanks again Josh and good luck Ms. Benton.

• Like Like x 1
    • Josh

Ratings:
      +164 / 2 / -0
      Freightliner has had the truck since 2:00pm. It is now 9pm, the only thing that has been accomplished is they replaced the batteries...

• DBenton
      Amazed

DBenton Rookie Expediter Driver

Ratings:
      +48 / 0 / -0
      We were at Bolt Custom Trucks this morning for almost 4 hours and now at Thermo King and they say it will be around 500pm. 5 trucks ahead of us. But we are almost to Ohio to chill before orientation. So far so good.

• Josh

Ratings:
      +164 / 2 / -0
      Just for general inspections or because something went wrong. Are you at the thermoking down the street from bolt in Indiana? Has stair leading up to the waiting room?

• Josh

Ratings:
      +164 / 2 / -0

EDIT:: nvm. I think you'd be at the thermoking with the tiny ass waiting room. Sucks if that's the case

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    • Josh

Ratings:
      +164 / 2 / -0
      Anyone know how the roads are in the east after the snow storm?

Ultimately I'd love a quick reference map of some kind to see road conditions at a glance. Does something like that exist?

• ucfd608

ucfd608 Veteran Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
      +753 / 5 / -1
      What part of the east are you goin I know the farther north u go the worse it gets

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

• Like Like x 1
    • Kip life

Ratings:
      +88 / 6 / -0
      I am doing the south for next new days SC NC TN deep south up to TX too cold up north

• Josh

Ratings:
      +164 / 2 / -0

No where at the moment. After that whole freightliner ordeal it's like things came to a complete halt. Got a handful of load offers. Declined the ones going towards New York area and didn't get the ones going to nc, sc, and Georgia. I was worried about the weather though and unable to find a reliable source for road conditions.