Nervous newbie

DBenton

Rookie Expediter
Driver
We will be staying in our truck all week. I do not know if we can stay at Fed Ex or if we have to go to a Truck Stop. Our dog is going to be with us. Tiny 12lb dog. We are not sure how to handle that situation. When we drove before he just stayed inside while we either loaded, unloaded or took showers. As far as the truck inspection I do not want Fed ex to say something about him. We have no one to watch him.

We are headed to store tomorrow to stock up for the week. I hate eating out and refuse to gain weight while driving. Lol

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
We will be staying in our truck all week. I do not know if we can stay at Fed Ex or if we have to go to a Truck Stop. Our dog is going to be with us. Tiny 12lb dog. We are not sure how to handle that situation. When we drove before he just stayed inside while we either loaded, unloaded or took showers. As far as the truck inspection I do not want Fed ex to say something about him. We have no one to watch him.

We are headed to store tomorrow to stock up for the week. I hate eating out and refuse to gain weight while driving. Lol
I'm with you on both points.
My cat is my kid/companion so she stays in the truck, it's home to her. I can leave the door open with no worries, no matter where I happen to be, or how noisy.
I'm lucky that way, a devoted cat man.
I had to stay at a hotel during truck repairs and if it was an overnight, I knew she would be fine in the truck but if more than a day, I just pay the pet fee.
In winter, obviously, I stay in the truck just because of all the issues with freezing and I we pull Never leave my sweet girl in a cold space alone.
Most of the time pets are always welcome, but you need to understand that owners have had to spend big bucks to clean gross trucks.
If you read my posts, you will understand.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver

You can stay at FedEx and they don't mind a dog. Someone had one in their truck when we were in class.

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am so very, very irritated right now.

We get into Indiana yesterday and had windchill warnings all day into this morning. Now, we were told any time the truck detects a temp under -5 it will stay idling. This is not the case. It would not stay running after its 3 min idle time (clean idle equipped). I started the truck every 2 hours up until 1am this morning with the same result, truck would idle for a few min and then shut down. I fell asleep after that. Wake up at 6am (4hours later) and now the truck won't crank. Loves mechanic didn't come in till 7am and has a truck in front of us.

How in the hell are we suppose to prevent cold start issues when our truck does not idle!? Tried setting the cruise control with no change. I'll be giving expeditors a call when they open in an hour. Loves guy that is here (tire guy) thinks the batteries need to be replaced.
One piece of advice.. don't trust those truck stop mechanics loves/flying J. They are not career mechanics most moved up from cleaning and wash jobs in the truck stop ,a few classes and they are ready to fix ur truck..

If in an area, try Petro or TA mechanics and better if a truck repair shop is adjacent to truckstop go there ,those are career mechanics

Sent from my SM-N900T using EO Forums mobile app

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
I am so very, very irritated right now.

We get into Indiana yesterday and had windchill warnings all day into this morning. Now, we were told any time the truck detects a temp under -5 it will stay idling. This is not the case. It would not stay running after its 3 min idle time (clean idle equipped). I started the truck every 2 hours up until 1am this morning with the same result, truck would idle for a few min and then shut down. I fell asleep after that. Wake up at 6am (4hours later) and now the truck won't crank. Loves mechanic didn't come in till 7am and has a truck in front of us.

How in the hell are we suppose to prevent cold start issues when our truck does not idle!? Tried setting the cruise control with no change. I'll be giving expeditors a call when they open in an hour. Loves guy that is here (tire guy) thinks the batteries need to be replaced.
One piece of advice.. don't trust those truck stop mechanics loves/flying J. They are not career mechanics most moved up from cleaning and wash jobs in the truck stop ,a few classes and they are ready to fix ur truck..

If in an area, try Petro or TA mechanics and better if a truck repair shop is adjacent to truckstop go there ,those are career mechanics

Agreed. Loves just happened to be where we were. Can't say I've had any good experiences at freightliner though. 3hrs to replace the shroud on our mirrior. Hopefully this time around will be better. Been a busy day. Dropped a load in Kentucky, picking up another now in Ohio headed to nc. Then picking up another from Kentucky going to Tennessee. Here's to trying to make up for lost time!

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Those short run are sweet!you make the $ fast.. best of luck consider buying your own truck you will not regret.

That's a ways off if at all. :)

I swear, when you have to call in your departure it can be 3 minutes.. or the 20 we've been waiting on hold... could have been well on our way by now.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Those short run are sweet!you make the $ fast.. best of luck consider buying your own truck you will not regret.

I swear, when you have to call in your departure it can be 3 minutes.. or the 20 we've been waiting on hold... could have been well on our way by now.

Edit:: 1hr on hold and counting..

Attachments

• IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Kip life

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Send an email to ca.r.ri.er1st and roll that's what we do I can't remember the last time I called in a load

O

Last edited:

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver

Send an email to ca.r.ri.er1st and roll that's what we do I can't remember the last time I called in a load

O

Hmm. Haven't heard of that option before. I'll have to look into it. Their hold line kicks you off shortly after an hour. Had to call back and chose a different option and whoever answered took care of us. We'll be late for delivery and pickup for the other load but we should still make it

Chernandez

Active Expediter
Josh, it sounds like you guys signed on with a great owner as well. Trucks are going to have issues so I feel like you guys got a good truck but just are having some issues. We had most of our issues in the past during the winter months.

Thank you for the information on parking. I looked up the map they sent us and lo and behold there was Tabs Road. I just hate going places and have no idea what to expect. You guys have definitely eased my mind about orientation.

We are heading out a day early to head to Jeffersonville Indiana to get a PM on the reefer unit. We have to be there Friday morning. Then when we Go outside for the inspection we can give that paperwork to them. We get our truck tomorrow and we will get stuff packed and ready to go. Reality is setting in. NERVOUS!!
Josh, it sounds like you guys signed on with a great owner as well. Trucks are going to have issues so I feel like you guys got a good truck but just are having some issues. We had most of our issues in the past during the winter months.

Thank you for the information on parking. I looked up the map they sent us and lo and behold there was Tabs Road. I just hate going places and have no idea what to expect. You guys have definitely eased my mind about orientation.

We are heading out a day early to head to Jeffersonville Indiana to get a PM on the reefer unit. We have to be there Friday morning. Then when we Go outside for the inspection we can give that paperwork to them. We get our truck tomorrow and we will get stuff packed and ready to go. Reality is setting in. NERVOUS!!

I was the same way and sometimes still get that way. It seems that once you get over one set of challenges, another one pops up. As far as our truck goes.. by the time it's all said and done we'll have a new truck!

Orientation was like the first day of school. Lol. Especially when they ask a question and call on someone to answer. Nervous yet? Kinda kidding. They will ask everyone as group questions when they get to the hazmat section. Everyone has to be on the same page or they cannot continue with the class. Pretty straight forward and easy though.

The teacher (Lisa?) is super nice and offered to stay back and help us with a few things we had questions on (paper logs). I'm going to assume you guys will be staying in your truck for the week you're there. They have a drivers lounge, laundry, and showers (have not seen the showers or laundry yet) but the drivers lounge is nice. There is a Walmart not too far from there (kinda claustrophobic but doable). Just remember. Everyone else in class is also new and they're all nervous too.

Chernandez

Active Expediter
Josh, I've been following from day 1....learning lots...went to FCC in Ohio for WG, came back did a few loads and today did my TVAL....after all is processed and I do a TVAL load, I will be WG/TVAL. I also drive with ES....I have nothing but positive experiences with them so far...any issues that arise, they're rectified.... So far so good...my codriver has been out for the last three weeks, holiday time ...ready to hit the road with all my endorsements and WG/TVAL when he arrives next week. Thanks for all the updates! They've been helpful...I'm an old goat, learning something new....90 days ago I had no CDL...did everything online.."B Class".

Ms. Benton, hang in there....you and you're other half should enjoy it. I was skeptical at first because it is so different than anything I've ever done.....I love it...although still learning. Josh has given a Newbie an incredible look into this endeavor...an honest open and in my opinion an unbiased account of experiences of a new trucker. Thanks again Josh and good luck Ms. Benton.

Reactions: DBenton

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Freightliner has had the truck since 2:00pm. It is now 9pm, the only thing that has been accomplished is they replaced the batteries...

DBenton

Rookie Expediter
Driver
We were at Bolt Custom Trucks this morning for almost 4 hours and now at Thermo King and they say it will be around 500pm. 5 trucks ahead of us. But we are almost to Ohio to chill before orientation. So far so good.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
We were at Bolt Custom Trucks this morning for almost 4 hours and now at Thermo King and they say it will be around 500pm. 5 trucks ahead of us. But we are almost to Ohio to chill before orientation. So far so good.

Just for general inspections or because something went wrong. Are you at the thermoking down the street from bolt in Indiana? Has stair leading up to the waiting room?

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver

Just for general inspections or because something went wrong. Are you at the thermoking down the street from bolt in Indiana? Has stair leading up to the waiting room?

EDIT:: nvm. I think you'd be at the thermoking with the tiny ass waiting room. Sucks if that's the case

Last edited:

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Anyone know how the roads are in the east after the snow storm?

Ultimately I'd love a quick reference map of some kind to see road conditions at a glance. Does something like that exist?

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What part of the east are you goin I know the farther north u go the worse it gets

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Kip life

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
What part of the east are you goin I know the farther north u go the worse it gets

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

No where at the moment. After that whole freightliner ordeal it's like things came to a complete halt. Got a handful of load offers. Declined the ones going towards New York area and didn't get the ones going to nc, sc, and Georgia. I was worried about the weather though and unable to find a reliable source for road conditions.