Need You Guys/Gals expert advice....Thanks!

jzalesky

Seasoned Expediter
Hey guys well this is my first post as I am new to this forum. I have an oppertunity that was presented to me through my Father that works for a large air frieght company. Anyway I will get to the point.

Anyway he is giving me the option to start running frieght as an owner/ operator for local runs to customers or the airport and back. I guess they refer to this as a cartage businesses. I am still waiting on a few details from the local district manager.

I currently have a job working commercial security that pays about 40k a year. Nothing to brag about. I was wanting to get your guys opinion on moving into this career field. The other guys are averaging around 36k every four months. So my question is if they are doing that in a four month period what do you think the take home after expenses are all said and done?

Also what truck do you recommend as a Straight Truck that is at least 24' long? I am either going to lease or buy but have not gotten that far yet.

I just dont want to pass up on something that I will regret later down the road. The idea is to grow and add trucks when I can and get more business. I have my dad who has contacts in the industry so I would probably be ok getting gigs with other companies as well.

Anyway if any of you do this currently I would love to hear your input and what should I expect. I am having to decide on this in the next week or so my time is short and as you all know making a huge change is always little scary. Thanks in advance.

Jason

tryhours3191

Seasoned Expediter
Not sure if you are going to get the answers you are looking for here. Most of the people on this site have trucks with sleepers and live in them more often than not, also we do not know what city or state we are going to be in crime one day to the next.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
There a few on this site that have similiar gigs.

You should be able to turn at least 50% of the money into profit, with you as the driver. Your pay would come from the 50%. If there isnt 50% in it, either your expenses are too high or the rates are too cheap.

Its going to be tough to give you a good answer without knowing some specifics about the revenue.... but if the other drivers are doing 36k per quarter, the 50% is probably there. I say that assuming that they are probably not running as many miles as we do in otr.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Me being one of them. I call it dash and back.

I would not give up a 40K a year job for it. You might GROSS 36K in 4 months.. As them how much of that went back in to the truck for operating expenses.

I am slowly shifting from dash and back work to my other profession. The money is better.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A rough figure would be 1/3 fuel, 1/3 expenses and 1/3 in your pocket. The expenses are the tires, belts, oil changes, transmission repairs, insurance, etc. etc. etc.. If your $40k job has good benefits stick with it.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Information we have gathered from other expediters: to make the big money you hear about, chances are you will have to basically live in your vehicle nowadays. If one has a homelife they aren't anxious to get back to, then staying out for 5-6 weeks at a time isn't a grind for them.

My boyfriend figured out his Sprinter's operating cost per mile 3 days ago. Fuel, maintenance (as mentioned above), insurance, putting money away for a replacement vehicle = 40 cents per mile.

Let us not forget, accidents, breakdowns and acts of nature occur; in which case you could be out of service 3 days to 3 weeks.

If you are happy at home, like to be there, and have a 40k job in your hand? Don't toss it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Last edited:

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Jzalesky,

If you live near Atlanta, preferrably in the northwest region, send me a pm. I need an owner operator with interstate authority and a big liftgate. Think 60x80 platform with a smooth incline and 4000# capacity. Kenworth or Peterbilt 34000 pound gvwr is ideal. Ten wheeler is even better.

Fit those criteria and back it up with a strong desire to work and I promise you a very comfortable income.

There is no 9 to 5. There is no going home early on Friday. I can throw money at you all day long if you just let me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Information we have gathered from other expediters: to make the big money you hear about, chances are you will have to basically live in your vehicle nowadays. If one has a homelife they aren't anxious to get back to, then staying out for 5-6 weeks at a time isn't a grind for them.

My boyfriend figured out his Sprinter's operating cost per mile 3 days ago. Fuel, maintenance (as mentioned above), insurance, putting money away for a replacement vehicle = 40 cents per mile.

Let us not forget, accidents, breakdowns and acts of nature occur; in which case you could be out of service 3 days to 3 weeks.

If you are happy at home, like to be there, and have a 40k job in your hand? Don't toss it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

They are telling the truth, believe them, its the truth IMHO>

jzalesky

Seasoned Expediter
Hey guys thanks for the response. I guess I should have been more detail with what I was getting into. Basically my father has been in the air freight business for the past 25 to 30 years and they are needing a new local truck to run freight for them in the DFW area. I would not be doing the long hauls except for running maybe max 500 mile one way runs every so often. My current job is just a basic electronics technician that has no where to go and they keep wanting to reduce our pay. If I go with this gig I would be running freight for a large air freight company here in the US and the goal is to expand by adding trucks. My father does probably more in one month than I can in one years as a broker. He is giving me the opportunity to get me started if I want to and the goal in mind is to grow the business.

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this but I was just trying to get everyone's take on it. I will probably go with a Hino class 7 Truck unless people have better suggestions. I currently will not be running anything larger than that unless I add it to the fleet in the future. I am really hoping to get established in the community and could even possibly help people find freight to move in the future. I just wanted to make sure I got started on the right foot and tried to avoid the mistakes others have already taken and looking here for advice. I really appreciate all the help and look for anyones recommendations. Thanks!

jzalesky

Seasoned Expediter
Haha no I work for Sensormatic which does commercial level anti theft and CCTV devices. I am an electronics technician as the broad scope of what I do. It has not room to go and I have an opportunity to work with a large freight company owning my own truck with room to expand in the future. So was looking for what you guys thought about the opportunity and if you thought it would be a smart move?