Need to replace fuel pump in a chevy express van

whistler

Active Expediter
I saw a thread on here one time by someone who cut a hole in the floor of their GM van to replace the fuel pump. I need to to replace my pump and do not want to drop the tank. My question is this: where do I cut the hole? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its best to drop the tank your cutting blind and can cut the top of your tank. Besides this is a fire and Carbon Monoxide hazard.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Be careful anytime working around gasoline. A distant relative died when gas dripped on to light while working under a VW.
Of course,few people probably use an old fashioned light bulb style light while working under a vehicle.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's better to drop the tank first. That way, you can see where to put the hole for "next time". Might as well replace the fuel pump this time since you'll have the tank out anyway.

Once the tank is down, measure carefully. You'll need to give room for the fuel pump/filter assembly, any pipes attached to it and room to get your hands in there to undo clamps and fittings and so on. After cutting the hole in your floor, you'll need to fit a hatch to cover it. The hatch needs to be bigger than the hole you cut and you need a good seal. The warnings about carbon monoxide are no joke, since your exhaust runs under the floor too the threat is real. After you give some consideration to cutting the hole, fitting the hatch and re-inforcing all of this--this IS a load-bearing floor after all-- it may begin to look less troublesome just to lower the fuel tank to replace the pump.

In any case-- LOWER AND REMOVE THE TANK BEFORE YOU BEGIN CUTTING. You can just bet on making sparks when you cut through the floor, and sparks and gasoline---- not exactly friends, if you get my meaning. It makes it easier to measure so you know where to cut, too.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Are the straps cheap enough to replace just because you can ?
At least put some anti-sieze compound on threads before reassembly.

whistler

Active Expediter
Are the straps cheap enough to replace just because you can ?
At least put some anti-sieze compound on threads before reassembly.

Thanks for your replies. It does seem sparks would be inevitable. I'll just drop the tank and go from there. It's not that old (2011) so the straps shouldn't be too seized yet. Thanks again.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for your replies. It does seem sparks would be inevitable. I'll just drop the tank and go from there. It's not that old (2011) so the straps shouldn't be too seized yet. Thanks again.

Smart thing to do. Very easy to do on that model. Just do it with very low fuel level, don't have to drop it to the floor, just about a foot will do it. Don't forget to take the fill neck off.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Check to make sure you have the filler tube and rubber doughnut seal available when you drop the tank. Ive heard a few GM owners talk about the tube and doughnut rotting and blocking the filler neck.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
If you decide to make a hatch for future replacement, here's a guy that has done it (though cut through from above first, the brave bast**d). Fuel Pump Hatch.

If that link does not lead directly there, it is his post at Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:11 pm Post subject: Re: Hal The Van. Gas Tank Pick-up Pipe installation.

He actually has all kinds of van mods there, from installing a Webasto heater in his side stepwell (which is why I first went there) to a homemade rear door tire rack, to a rear "basement" box put in where the spare used to go. Pretty handy fellow, though a lot of the stuff he does adds a lot of weight.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I need to to replace my pump and do not want to drop the tank.

It's not that old (2011) so the straps shouldn't be too seized yet. Thanks again.

Are you absolutely sure you need to replace the fuel pump? You're right, its not that old. Not only shouldn't the tank straps be "too seized", but the fuel pumpl should not have failed this soon. I'd have a chat with the service manager at your local Chevy dealership. Then, if necessary, talk with the regional GM service rep. GM had a problem with fuel pumps on the late 1990's through about 2002. They eventually corrected the problem by either modifying the pump or switching vendors. Make a fuss and see what happens.

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
I replaced mine for the first time in my 2002 Savana last year & dropped it out,it isn't that hard of a job.
Oh & if you don't know don't let gas get lower than 1/4 tank or it overheats the pump causing it to tie up.
HTH
Bob