Cargo Van Need Sprinter Advise

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
If your going to be a fleet owner and want your van taken care of, you better outfit it with all the goodies.

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Part of the reason for his "nickle and dime" approach maybe due to his having over a 1/4 million in repairs on those sprinters, as he state in a really long and Detailed rant on why he'll never buy another sprinter again...his post on that here on E O was sometime midyear last year I think.

Sent from my SM-N920V using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's correct most of his points were spot on. You would think it would keep an owner from putting nothing on vans to keep drivers comfortable and limit idling other than saying don't idle especially when they made xonstant runs for the border orloading sprinters with 4000 lbs. Anything to limit inevitable wear and tear.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The more fatal flaws imho is having a fleet of sprinters driven by drivers who don't own them. I see them sitting idling hours at a time.
I have never talked with an A. Blair driver. Are these bare bones Sprinters as far as driver comfort? I have seen A. Blair Transits recently. Are these also company owned vans? If the Transits have the EcoBlaster I can foresee high fuel consumption and probably high repair bills also. I wouldn't put a driver with no direct responsibility for fuel or maintenance costs in a vehicle equipped with an EcoBlaster engine. Way too much temptation for abuse at the ball of one's foot.
I just just recently did speak to one at length..I couldn't believe how Toms policies of nickle and diming these guys...and expecting good results...they are carrying too heavy, driving too long of direct drives with unreasonable drive times and a $25.00 per hour penalty for being late..and forced dispatch...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I owned that many sprinters that ran that many miles, I would hire a tech to do the majority of the work myself. I understand that the Mercedes program to access the systems is a lot of money, but at $100 an hour labor at the dealerships wouldn't it pay for itself?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
Not sure most sprinter repairs aren't wait until you limp home type. You could save about 60 bucks an oil change it a little on general maintenance but not sure it would make a huge difference by the time you paid a mechanic and facility costs.

Reactions: jcochristoph

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I owned that many sprinters that ran that many miles, I would hire a tech to do the majority of the work myself. I understand that the Mercedes program to access the systems is a lot of money, but at $100 an hour labor at the dealerships wouldn't it pay for itself?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
Not sure most sprinter repairs aren't wait until you limp home type. You could save about 60 bucks an oil change it a little on general maintenance but not sure it would make a huge difference by the time you paid a mechanic and facility costs.
I hear a prices of about 10K for a FULL diagnostic computer and software costs alone...My Ex dealer when their software crashed Mercedes wanted 5K just for the software...and thats the old software for the 02 thru 09 only

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think any of the new model high roof vans are suitable to having "company" or fleet drivers in them. Too delicate.
Up in Ontario I helped manage 94 Ford Econoline's for a postal contractor..I could tell horror stories how they were driven...LOL

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I would think, if you give someone all the tools to do the job and explain how lucky they are to have what that got as a driver, they should do you a decent to good job.

To me if you give a driver bare bones that's what you will get. Happy driver= Happy owner

Reactions: scottm4211

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its a tough call when hiring a person....an experienced driver ultimately will not listen to your instructions because well they "know" already!! and have their own preconceived ideas on how to drive and take care of van.....where an inexperienced driver is more prone to listen to instructions and take care....BUT that is NOT written in stone ether..so its just a crap shoot when hiring someone...