Cargo Van Need Sprinter Advise

Islander

Rookie Expediter
Hello everyone, I was hoping to get a little help

Been looking at doing the expediting lifestyle for some time. I drove Semi's for quite a few years after I retired from the Navy, but decided it wasn't fair to the wife being gone all the time for 28 years (20 Navy 8 trucking). I already know what to expect out out there with load fluctuations, slow periods, crappy miles at times, ..... etc. etc. I can deal with all that stuff, and I guess have a pension already does help.

My questions are:

1. The companies I am interested in require 144" long cargo space & high top. I see that Ford has Sprinter type vans out now? Anyone running them? I have worked out a couple deals for either a 2500 or 3500 series depending on what I need to stay under 10,000 lbs. I am also looking at the ProMaster series by Dodge.

3. Is it better to install my own E-Trac system, or just have the dealer install it?

4. Is anyone making payments on their Sprinters, and still making a decent living, or just getting by?

Thanks.... John

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You'll get some answers, here's mine

Sprinters are great until they break down. They have a nasty habit of confusing themselves and needing very expensive parts, that few mechanics know how to fix properly. Try $3-6000 for 2 def sensors. Most went to Fords which seem ok so far...less went to Promasters,seems like 80% are fine and the others range from engine problems to transmission problems. My recommendation is a 1 or 2 year old Ford Transit in a tall EL model...gas engine of your choice, simplest to find service. The biggest longest isn't strictly necessary but I find the extra bigger loads put my income over the top

2. ?

3. Do it yourself if you can...most places seem to overcharge by a factor of 10...E Track is nice but I get by with the factory floor rings and a few slots in the van frame

4. Payments put you in the position of having to accept things you don't want to just to pay the bill. After the first 4 years in expedite I never did it again, and sleep better for it.

One option is to try it with someone else's truck first...you might not like camping in a van after the big truck, and if you buy a van outright and sell it after a year, you might end up working for free against the depreciation

Reactions: jcochristoph

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Def sensors are no where near the price bc stated. I'm not even sure what the heck def sensors are? I'm guessing he might mean nox sensors and those are like 240.00 each. There is two of then.

I'm on my second sprinter and love them. Honestly though if I was shopping today it would most likely be the Ford with the eco boost gasser. Before you leap understand the van market.is way over saturated. Everyone and their brother think their gonna make big money. A few do, most barely survive others go broke. If you do buy make sure it's under 10001 gvw and absolutely get the longest tallest you can. Not only for frieght but for personal comfort also.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Def, nox, potAto potAHto.

If they are down to that price then its not an issue anymore. I'm probably misquoting a half remembered post from Sprinter-source about a replacement of the whole system, and maybe swirl valves too :D

Sprinter is the longest and a nice drive. Caveat emptor. Good points Ziggi

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What a sprinter can't take 5400 lbs? Thats what the load board says

(Do I need to spell out the sarcasm?)

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What a sprinter can't take 5400 lbs? Thats what the load board says
Those are the ones that look like a boat driving down the highway. But officer that's what I can haul.
I remember 1 time I was at a shipper waiting to get loaded. There was this cargo van getting loaded ahead of me. He got loaded with with 4 tubs of screws weighing about 5000+ lbs and he was securing those tubs with a few of those cheap tie downs (you know the ones with the 1 in width strap and can hold down maybe 200 lbs). That's what he was using. Also no etrack. I asked him what route he was taking to get to his destination and he told me. I next told him I was going to steer as far away as possible from him because of the unsafe load and the possibility of him having serious brake failure and killing himself and any others he may hit. He then told me he does this all the time. Needless to say I haven't seen him since then. I hope he made it alive.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dated 1-16-17, isn't there a required 5 year to 8 year warranty that's EPA related? Apologies I was off the low figure, only $1800...I think bill should have legally been $0 2010 nox sensor replacement - Sprinter-Forum

"I own a 2014 2500.I replaced up and down steam NOX do dads.$1800. 86 miles later check eng light come on and I return to the dealer On my 10 restarts counter on. They made me wait 2 days and inform me I needed a new Cat.Hmmmmmm ext cost $2800. I own the Sprinters and none ever had this kind of issue.My other sprinters a was able to use a DB II reader for the fault codes,,,,,,,No not now I have to go to the dealer,I ask for a print out showing faults codes.They can't supply that any longer but they write it down for me.
idunno.gif
I when a head and had the work down since was over the barrel. I like to think everyone is honest and i pay for the service been done for me. After talking to friends Ive been told told that everyone at the dealership is on commission,Sales, Service,Parts. There no way to get a warm fuzz feeling when there no way to check the facts.Those NOX sensors that they charge me $625 each for can be purchased of $150 each from Rock Auto.After this I putting my Sprinter up for sale.That new Ford sure is looking good,
bash.gif
they check fault codes for free, or so the Sales tells LOL........."

Sensors are cheap...the required programming of new sensors, and updating of software if it has not been done, puts one into the MB dealership at their mercy for pricing...once the software update is done to be compatible with the redesigned sensors, I see no reason why you couldn't buy the cheap ones if the problem reoccurred.

I like everything about the MB especially 4 cylinder...but cheaper service on Ford or Ram, and approx 800 lbs more capacity is hard to ignore

SGAVan1

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator

Been looking at doing the expediting lifestyle for some time. I drove Semi's for quite a few years after I retired from the Navy, but decided it wasn't fair to the wife being gone all the time for 28 years (20 Navy 8 trucking). I already know what to expect out out there with load fluctuations, slow periods, crappy miles at times, ..... etc. etc. I can deal with all that stuff, and I guess have a pension already does help.

My questions are:

1. The companies I am interested in require 144" long cargo space & high top. I see that Ford has Sprinter type vans out now? Anyone running them? I have worked out a couple deals for either a 2500 or 3500 series depending on what I need to stay under 10,000 lbs. I am also looking at the ProMaster series by Dodge.

3. Is it better to install my own E-Trac system, or just have the dealer install it?

4. Is anyone making payments on their Sprinters, and still making a decent living, or just getting by?

Thanks.... John

I have a 2016 Ford Transit 350 Turbo Boost Gas engine. High roof and long body. L-track, straps, chains, D-rings, floor lined 65000 miles. Excellent shape. If you are interested in buying one, I will sell it.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

My questions are:

Thanks.... John

I have a 2016 Ford Transit 350 Turbo Boost Gas engine. High roof and long body. L-track, straps, chains, D-rings, floor lined 65000 miles. Excellent shape. If you are interested in buying one, I will sell it.

Because he wants a Sprinter didn't you see his profile pic :justcux6:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The more fatal flaws imho is having a fleet of sprinters driven by drivers who don't own them. I see them sitting idling hours at a time.
I have never talked with an A. Blair driver. Are these bare bones Sprinters as far as driver comfort? I have seen A. Blair Transits recently. Are these also company owned vans? If the Transits have the EcoBlaster I can foresee high fuel consumption and probably high repair bills also. I wouldn't put a driver with no direct responsibility for fuel or maintenance costs in a vehicle equipped with an EcoBlaster engine. Way too much temptation for abuse at the ball of one's foot.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
There drivers complain to me that there is no heat or ac in the cargo area. They have to idle to keep cool in the summer and winter to keep warm. They nickel and dime the drivers.

Reactions: ntimevan