Need Some Expert Advise!

texomaice

Expert Expediter
I am looking at getting into the business and am wondering about the best type of truc to start with. Obviously, a used setup would be the most sound decison. I own n ice business and have a 24ft. reefer box in great condition and thought about stretching a good low mileage tractor to end up with a class 8 unit. Any thoughts???????:+

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am not an expert, but I will give you some advice about the class 8.

I am planning on getting a class 8 stretched and have done a lot, I mean a lot of research due to my concern of safety.

There are just a couple things to remember;

The age of the truck is a big factor, the more miles on the frame, the more of a chance of problems. The frame is not like an engine where the miles act like a stress relieving cycles, so with a frame it actually loses its ability to stay flexible and may start to crack.

Check out several, not just one, companies who do the frame stretching. DO NOT use a company that has no references that you can contact and see their work. There are a lot of Yahoos who claim they do this type of work, but it is safety UNDER load that matters, not how the paint looks on the frame. Also DO NOT use a company that does not have the proper equipment, which is the important to align the frame properly. Actually the best thing to do is to contact the manufacture, like Mack or Freightliner and get a list of companies they recommend.