need more help

easyrider

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
hello to all.I am seriously thinking about getting into this profession but dont know where to begin.Like whereto go to find out about leasing or purchasing a truck, its mind boggeling. I've been in the big truck trader and seen so many trucks that vary in price it seems crazy.There seems to be a lot of the FL60 and 70's in there anywhere from 29,000 to 50,000 are these good trucks, are they dependable? Another thing is all the taxes and such, I can guesstamate the state and federal taxes going by the Panther2 info I recieved but I'm lost when it comes to the workers compensation,and the fuel taxes. You also need a nationwide pager which is more money.And you have to figure in on the road expenses like fuel, and food and all that good stuff.It just seems to me like you would really have to be on the road all the time to make any money for your self.If anyone could give me any info I would greatly appriciate it. You can also e-mail me at [email protected] with any info.Thank You In Advance.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
call dan at tsi 800 388 3850, he will ans all your question
and tell you what is best way to for your budget

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Do yourself a favor and drive for someone for at least 6 months. By then you should know if you want to do the job and should have a good idea about costs. If you jump right in as an O/O and it doesn't work out, you could screw up your credit when you lose the truck back to the bank. There are alot of good used trucks out there to get into. Once you figured your going to stay at it, buy a 3 or 4 year old truck. This keeps the payments down ( truck, insurance, etc.). After a few years and you still want to do this, buy your dream truck. Good luck.
Safe driving
Randy

Goosy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My first suggestion to you would be to determine if you want a box truck or a flat bed (both straight trucks). Once you make that decision, go look for a used truck. With the industry suffering the way it is right now and with fuel prices and insurance as high as they are right now they only way you could turn a healthy profit would be if you were not making astronomical truck payments. Or, if you really have your heart set on a new truck go to a lot and ask the saleman for the trucks that have been on the lot for longer than 30 days. They will sell those for less than you would think. Then, determine how much you need to earn per week (bring home).Start calling trucking companies. DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE of calling a trucking company and introducing yourself as someone who is looking to buy a truck but not sure what kind of truck to buy. They will ALWAYS suggest that you buy the type of truck that they are looking for right now. By the time you buy the truck and finish all the neccessary paperwork with the bank, BMV, Insurance Co, and so on they will have signed someone else. Then you are stuck with a brand new truck, a brand new truck payment and no job. Make your decisions first then call on the trucking companies. I refuse to tell anybody who calls me what kind of truck to buy. I will tell them the pro's and con's of the different types of trucks we run. But under no circumstances will I be responsible for the financial demise of anyone. I personally could not live with myself and I do not understand how some people can do it and still look in the mirror daily and like what they see. You will want to SHOP, SHOP, SHOP. Shop for different trucks, shop for a bank, shop for insurance and most certainly shop for a trucking company. Do not go with the first one who makes you that promise "Yeah, we'll keep you busy". If you would like more specifics you can e-mail me at <[email protected]>

Good Luck and be smart!!!!!

Stacey