need help with manifests

margentony

Seasoned Expediter
Can anyone tell me if DOT mandates that weights be on the manifests? My first thought is no, becauyse the entire truck goes through weight scales.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Not sure on the answer, but I know the weights always seem to be off. Usually the manifest is on the plus side ie 400lbs for a skid that weighs 200
I would hope they don't go off the manifested weight, because alot of places don't scale their skids and just estimate

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Don't confuse Manifest and Bill of Lading. They are different, although they are sometimes merged into a single document.

A manifest is simply a packing list, a list of goods being carried. Weight does not need to be listed.

For a HAZMAT Manifest, which is a specific type of manifest, yes, the weight must be listed.

Whether you have a manifest or not, you are required to have a Bill of Lading in order to transport goods across state lines, and the weight must be listed on the Bill of Lading. The following must be listed on the BOL:

(a) Names of consignor and consignee.
(b) Origin and destination points.
(c) Number of packages.
(d) Description of freight.
(e) Weight, volume, or measurement of freight (if applicable to the rating of the freight).

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
(if applicable to the rating of the freight).

What is meant by "if applicable to the rating of the freight?" Rating as in the LTL world where it would put it into a freight class? Or is it just rating as in what the customer is charged? If the latter, then it might not matter. Carrier would charge the customer the same rate if it is 100lbs or if it is 1500lbs--as long as it still fits in the cargo van.

I've never run into the weight not being listed.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Most of the trucking business is by weight and by mile. I just know that the weight is off a whole lot

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
(if applicable to the rating of the freight)
is more of a "dimensional weight" thing, like where air cargo uses both dimensions and weight to rate the freight, and depending on the surface carrier that gets used to shuttle it around, that might be the way it's rated throughout. Most times with expedited trucking it's weight, but volume is the measurement once in a while (drums, totes). But since it's the weight (depending on dimensions) that determines the kind of truck the customer gets charged, even most "volume freight" usually uses weight as the determining factor for the rating.

The weight's supposed to be accurate, but when it's going on a truck or van based on a weight range, the accuracy of the weight isn't that big a deal (unless you are getting close to overweight, then it is). Just the same, if you have a 400 pound skid of something, according to the BOL, and you show up and deliver a 200 pound skid of something, there could be a problem, unless a piece count or something else verifies that it's all there. (This could be a problem, for example, if you have a refer truck and pick up a 400 pound hanging forequarter, and a few hours later deliver one that weighs 200 pounds. Burp.)