Need Class B CDL training

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Recuiters, I need Class B training. I have a perfect driving record. I have the means to purchase a truck and I love to drive. Please help if you know of somewhere I can train.

I would like to train in Texas. I would go to OK if I have to.

All the schools I find only offer Class A. I really don't want Class A training.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
We got a list of trainers/testers from our Secretary of State in Michigan (aka. DMV). You could try there. Most needed you to have your own truck for testing, but some charge a small fee to use theirs. If that doesn't work out, find somewhere that trains bus drivers. If THAT fails, see if an expeditor who lives around you will let you use his truck to test in. Go to the DMV, get your permit, and practice, practice, practice. Then call up a tester and get your license.

2millionplus

Expert Expediter
2millionplus

Great advice Tennesseeahawk. That is exactly what I also advice those who ask for CDL B Training. But as being an old CDL tester myself, be advised that the Pre-Trip Inspection is the most important part of any CDL Test.

2millionplus
Recruiter

"The Old Man at Con-way"

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the reply. I have tried similar actions around here. The big problem is the Class B vehicle to practice then test in. Everyone I've been able to find has a Class A tractor-trailer for training and testing. I tried the bus driver training but could not find that either. I guess I will give up and do the Class A training.

We got a list of trainers/testers from our Secretary of
State in Michigan (aka. DMV). You could try there. Most
needed you to have your own truck for testing, but some
charge a small fee to use theirs. If that doesn't work out,
find somewhere that trains bus drivers. If THAT fails, see
if an expeditor who lives around you will let you use his
truck to test in. Go to the DMV, get your permit, and
practice, practice, practice. Then call up a tester and get
your license.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Klippencott;

TRAINCO, Northwest Ohio CDL Center offers training for both CDL A AND B licenses. It's a very reputable school with excellent training. They have been around for quite sometime. They also operate a school in Monroe, MI.

The address for TRAINCO is 26718 Oregon Rd., Perrysburg, OH 43551. Their phone number is (419)837-9400, fax (419)661-1004. Ask for Ken or Mike.

They provide the truck for practice during training, which includes classroom, manuevers, and road time. They do charge for the use of a vehicle for testing.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

HotFr8Recruiter

theend

Expert Expediter
If you go for the class A you have an extra door open.
Check colleges first to see if they offer it. Watch the price range. Don't just go to the first training school you see offered. It ranges from $800 to $5,000 here.
You want as many hours at the wheel as you can get, for the money.
The longer you have to drive under a trainer the better off you are.
And one that will give you actual dock practice is even better.
Before you go to a driving school check out "crist" and bone up on the sample tests they have.
Read as much as you can before you start training and the training will go a whole lot smoother. You'll be able to spend more time concentrating on getting the hang of driving if you have the paperwork down.
The DOT inspection is mostly memory, but there are a lot of parts you have to point out, and a certain way to do it.
Pick up a booklet from the driver examiner's office. They should also have hazmat material.
I really hope you absorb the info on this forum as well.
:) And hope you do well with your new adventure.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd strongly suggest you take the class A training. Once you have the A you can drive anything you want. I believe some companies give a little extra attention to applicants with the A even if they are coming in as a straight truck driver because the A shows you passed more than the minimum requirement. It also can open a few outside opportunities to you. I had an opportunity to deliver 3 new trucks for a local dealer while on hometime. The buyer had empty tankers that had to be hooked and delivered with the new tractor. Since the tanks had carried fuel they still had to have a hazmat driver. The dealer's usual delivery people don't have hazmat because they drive bobtail. Because I took the full class A course I have hazmat, tank, etc. and since I bought a truck from the dealer I had the chance to do 3 deliveries during the daytime while nobody was home anyway. I didn't miss any family time and made some good money. Good luck to you whichever way you go.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

phatTweaker

Expert Expediter
My brother is in a similar situation. The only school fairly close to him (Sage Corporation..Muncie, IN) only offers a CDL A course, but said if he really was set on only getting his B license that they could train him just on the tractor without a trailer then he would have to rent a strait truck to take his CDL test in.
Like everyone else though I'd say just bite the bullet and take the A course. It's not really that hard and if you ever decide you want to try a semi truck job you'll have the license already.

Also for paying for the school I don't know what the specific guidelines are, but you may be eligible to have a local agency pay for it.
In my case I went to the local job skills and development agency (work one) and they payed for everything.

gringo777

Expert Expediter
There is a training seminar in Iowa put on by Custom Made Products in Humbolt, Iowa that charges a flat $250 for class A training. It is one day of training with their automatic tractor and trailer and then the next day you road test with DOT. If you fail you get to use the truck again for free. Their number is 1-800-760-7871. Of course you have to pass all of the written tests and get a training license for $12 first. I live in Iowa and am thinking about doing this program so I didn't inquire about out of state people. I am wanting my own class B too but don't know of any other cheap schools. (Humbolt is in central Iowa north of Des Moines about 50 miles)

klippencott

Expert Expediter
My solution was similar. I studied and passed the written. I found someone with a small tractor/trailer automatic for $350. He gave me one lession, I took and passed the Class A driving test the next day.

creekindian33

Expert Expediter
the best thing to do an this is how i train my new drivers that whant to sighn on whith me get the book on ur inspection on trucks i think there is abought 60 things u have to know on pree trip inspection on a b lisc after u pass ur written test go rent a u haul for a couple of dayes practice its not difacult my drivers usaly can pass there driving whith this methould:7

creekindian33

Expert Expediter
u do not need a class for b what i do this is what i did whith somebody else it works an coast verry little first of all u need to take ur haz mat test get all writen test out of the way u have to be able to do i belive 90 differnt parts on ur inspection there should have a book free at eather d o t or ur local driving place learn everything from bumper to bumper u have to be able to name it an tell them what it does its function thats under hood an in cab som states r more into this then others i do not know abought tx after u pass ur test writen go an rent a 24 foot box uhall or ryder truck take ur test itll cost a little for truck ull com out cheaper an u will be mor nollegable doing ur self them schools do not concentrate on u once u pay they realy dont care if u have any questions u can write me at [email protected] i am a fleet owner maybe can help u futher if u need it:7

klippencott

Expert Expediter
As I said before I took and passed the Class A test. Renting a box truck would not work for me. I needed an air brake endorsement. No one would let me rent a truck with air brakes without having the endorsement first. Hiring a local Class A trainer with a truck worked best for me.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
ILL TRANE U OR U CAN TAKE ALL UR WRITEN TEST THEN GO RENT A RYDER 24FOOT BOX TRUCK TO TAKE UR TEST IM AN OWNER LOOKING FOR DRIVERS IF U NEED MOR INFO CALL ME AFTER 7 PM 912 276 1313